Dunkin Darvin

Off-season moves starting to take shape

Per Beck...

Dombrowski confirms #Tigers have made multi-yr offer to Inge, want him back at 3B. Also talking with agent on Peralta, want him back at SS.
#Tigers have told Laird and Damon they won't be re-signed. Dombrowski says they "most likely" won't pursue Bonderman.
At this point, #Tigers looking at Guillen as multi-position guy. His injury situation means he doesn't have a position at this point.

Huh, so much for getting Beltre. They need a DH and a RF for sure, and could use another lefty reliever.

Let Raburn have the LF job, then let Wells/Boesch/Kelly/Thomas compete for backup spots.

I have a feeling Boesch will be in Toledo next year.

Summarizing all the tweets:

Damon, Laird, probably Bonderman gone. Inge, Peralta probably back. Coke to rotation. Guillen without a position.

a multi-year offer to inge to take over don kelly's role makes sense. anything else does not.

guillen's only 2011 positions will be 15 and 60 day DL.

I assume that mean we wont offer arbitration to Laird? He has expressed that he wants to start...he wont do that with the Tigers...could be an extra pick for us! However with no interest from the Tigers I would say they wont

Also,

GM Dave Dombrowski announced that the Tigers will not pick up Magglio Ordonez's $15MM club option for 2011, tweets Tom Gage of The Detroit News. Dombrowski did say that the team remains open-minded about bringing Ordonez back, however.

Johnny Damon won our hearts with his plea to stay a Tiger...but lost it with his paltry hitting with RISP.

Inge or Peralta, make up your mind. I want one of Beltre and Hanley.

I agree that I don't want both Inge and Peralta back. However, as I'm sure has already been pointed out elsewhere, Hanley Ramirez isn't going to be dealt.

Moving Coke to the rotation seems silly at this point. We already need bullpen help, why increase the need for more bullpen arms?

After hearing the announcements, there's little doubt that Inge and Peralta are both coming back. They want to be back and the Tigers want them back. They'll be pursuing relievers and probably a corner OF and/or DH.

The logic appears to be working as follows with regard to the infield:

Peralta is the best available option at SS they see out there that they can attain (and no, they can't get Hanley Ramirez). They will never see Ramon Santiago as a starting option there.

Given that Peralta is a below-average defensive SS, they'll need an above-average defensive 3B. Inge is probably still perceived as such (rightly or wrongly) and is a fan favorite, which you can't discount when the team is losing money and in a down market economically. If they can resign Inge cheaply, that leaves money for a big RBI LF/RF/DH bat, which appears to be the big focus for this team in the offseason.

The other thing that has to be taken into account and hasn't been taken seriously in a lot of decisions here is the topic of compensation picks. This season has shown us nothing if not that the Tigers have a lack of impact minor league talent, especially on the batting side. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to sign 3-4 Type A free agents and lose their (potentially) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th round picks. This is essentially what would happen if they sign multiple players out of the Beltre, Werth, Crawford, Lee, etc. group. DD isn't going to give up that many picks, so I'd guess we sign one Type A to be that RBI bat and are active more in the Type B pool (especially with regard to relievers).

I'm not even sure they'll get a comp pick for Laird or Damon, for fear of them accepting arbitration. There's no way Laird gets a starting job or any close after this season. Even his defense seemed to take a step back after last year.

Edited by Flying Dutchmen
grammar cleanup

I would not have thought this when we acquired him, but I like that they're considering Peralta coming back, and I really like that they're bringing back Inge. And compound it with that I like that they won't be pursuing Beltre.

Finally, the biggest thing is that I feel like it makes it more likely they're going after Dunn.

I would not have thought this when we acquired him, but I like that they're considering Peralta coming back, and I really like that they're bringing back Inge. And compound it with that I like that they won't be pursuing Beltre.

Finally, the biggest thing is that I feel like it makes it more likely they're going after Dunn.

It would definitely open the Tigers up if Dunn was in any way willing to be primarily at DH. Even a Thome-like bat at DH could be the RBI bat they say they want. All of this requires that Leyland decides to move away from this rotation DH that he seems to love so much.

yeah we do need to add some bullpen help, especially if Coke is starting. I think Valverde will be fine next year. But other than him it gets a little shaky, lots of young players, it would be nice to get a good veteran reliever or two. Perry, Wienhardt, Schlereth, and Zumaya could all be options too. What do you guys think about Zumaya, it's almost become a joke with his injuries, you can't count on him but if he's healthy I would bring him back for 1 year.

So, we can expect pretty much the same team next year.

Waiting for them to now exercise Maggs' option.

brilliant.jpg

I'm not keen on moving Coke out of the pen, either. But, I'm not worried, as everytime Leyland says something like this, it seems to turn out to be bull$h!t.

I'm not keen on moving Coke out of the pen, either. But, I'm not worried, as everytime Leyland says something like this, it seems to turn out to be bull$h!t.

to valuable in the pen... We have some depth there though, if anywhere. Unlike the lineup. Not that the depth we have is better than Coke.

Moving Coke to the rotation seems silly at this point. We already need bullpen help, why increase the need for more bullpen arms?

Starting pitchers are more valuable and harder to find.

If Coke can be a good starter, moving him to the rotation is clearly a good move. Regardless of the hole it creates in the bullpen.