Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Mac

Michigan State TE and SF charged in Detroit Public School Scandal

MSU's Sims, three others to be arraigned Thursday in DPS theft ring

Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Michigan State University football player Dion Sims and three others accused of being part of a ring that sold computers stolen from Detroit Public Schools will face formal charges Thursday.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, who announced charges against 10 people on Tuesday, said today that Dwaine Scott, Juan Legardy, Dion Sims and Christopher Schambre will be arraigned Thursday in the city's 36th District Court.

No word yet on when the others named in warrants announced Tuesday will be brought to court.

From The Detroit News: MSU's Sims, three others to be arraigned Thursday in DPS theft ring | detnews.com | The Detroit News

He will be in court tomorrow

Sportz is just pulling out his classic MSU "You didn't go to school there!!!!" act. It is required of all MSU fans to take part in.

Sportz is just pulling out his classic MSU "You didn't go to school there!!!!" act. It is required of all MSU fans to take part in.

Yeah it's similar to I have a handle on the local fanbase even though I'm overseas card.

It's funny that you think "stock holdings" means how many toasters are in the back and how many are on the shelves. Clean up in aisle three!:happy:

Last time I checked..we were buying the company who made the toasters, they had sunk into financial disrepair because the UM grad who founded them, burdened them with debt, then later whined that the banking official didn't make the right call.

Yeah it's similar to I have a handle on the local fanbase even though I'm overseas card.

Except it's not similar at all. In 1 case your wrong and in the other just being foolish.

Story on Arraignment

bilde?Avis=C3&Dato=20100923&Kategori=SCHOOLS&Lopenr=9230468&Ref=TS&NewTbl=1&Q=65&MaxW=320&MaxH=320&border=0

Michigan State University football player Dion Sims was released on a personal bond today after being arraigned along with three other men accused of taking part in a crime ring that trafficked computers stolen from Detroit Public Schools.

Sims was charged with receiving and concealing stolen property as part of a 10-man criminal enterprise that stole and sold 104 laptops from four schools since December 2009. He was suspended from the MSU football team after the charges were announced on Tuesday.

Dwaine Scott, 19, of Detroit was accused of burglarizing a school and receiving stolen property — he was charged with five felonies and his bond was set at 10% of $25,000, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. Christopher Schambre, 21, of St. Clair Shores and Juan Legardy, 20, of Detroit were charged with receiving and concealing stolen property. Their bond was set at 10% of $10,000.

The preliminary examination on this matter has been set for Oct. 5, 2010 in 36th District Court.

Mark Scott, 18, of Detroit was also one of the three men accused of burglarizing a school in connection with the crime ring. He will be arraigned at 1 p.m. Friday

Read more: 4 men arraigned in DPS computer thefts | freep.com | Detroit Free Press 4 men arraigned in DPS computer thefts | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Edited by Johnny Mac

Why can't anyone ever edit when they copy and paste from another site?

EDIT: Much better, tyvm... :grin:

Edited by JayVee

Back in court today

MSU's Dion Sims, two others face circuit court hearings in laptop thefts | MLive.com

MSU's Dion Sims, two others face circuit court hearings in laptop thefts

A Michigan State University football player and two other men are to appear in a Detroit courtroom in the thefts of laptop computers from public schools.

The Wayne County prosecutor's office says Dion Sims, Danny Tiwaini and Christopher Schambre will face preliminary hearings Thursday morning in circuit court.

The 19-year-old Sims has been suspended indefinitely from football team-related activities. Sims, Tiwaini and Schambre are charged with receiving and concealing stolen property.

They are among 10 men charged following an investigation into the theft of 104 laptops valued at $158,000 from several Detroit schools. Authorities say the computers were sold online and to acquaintances.

Three of the 10 also are charged with running a criminal enterprise.

Sims plead guilty today

...to a lesser charge. Sounds like his record will be shiny clean at the end of this:

Michigan State University football player Dion Sims accepted a plea deal today for his role in an alleged stolen computer ring that could allow his conviction to be expunged.

Sims, 19, of Detroit pleaded guilty to receiving stolen goods before 36th District Court Judge Kevin Robbins. The deal calls for him to cooperate with investigators and be sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act, which could wipe clear his record if he successfully completes probation. Sentencing is set for Dec. 6.

From The Detroit News: MSU's Dion Sims pleads guilty in computer theft ring | detnews.com | The Detroit News

1 it wasn't a lesser charge, he was charged with recieving stolen goods from the begining

2 hyta isn't guarenteed, just a recomendation at sentencing, and prosecutor can't guarentee it, just not argue against it, it's Judges decision

3 he isn't out of the woods yet, can't say much more

Edited by Johnny Mac

The deal calls for him to cooperate with investigators and be sentenced under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act

Doesn't sound like a recommendation. Its called a deal for a reason, no? Why the hell should he cooperate if the courts weren't going to hold up their end of the bargain?

Doesn't sound like a recommendation. Its called a deal for a reason, no? Why the hell should he cooperate if the courts weren't going to hold up their end of the bargain?

What he is getting out of pleadng guilty is the prosecution will not contend his request for hyta. Hyta is up to the judge discretion. Trust me on this one.

And why wouldn't the judge give it to him? Wouldn't that set a bad precedent? I'm assuming Sims' lawyer has enough foresight to look this one through...

And why wouldn't the judge give it to him? Wouldn't that set a bad precedent? I'm assuming Sims' lawyer has enough foresight to look this one through...

IF nothing else comes up, most Judge's would give it to him. As for bad precedent, no. A judge can decide whatever they want, sentencing is up to them. Also if you plead guilty, Judge's are usually more forgiving in sentencing. I think Sims and his lawyer knew he was done and are doing what they can to reduce sentencing. Having the prosecutor not contesting HYTA can only help, but doesn't guarantee anything.

Edited by Johnny Mac
retracting

MSU's Dion Sims pleads guilty in DPS computer theft ring | detnews.com | The Detroit News

His plea before 36th District Court Judge Kevin Robbins was taken under advisement, meaning he might qualify when sentenced on Dec. 6 for a break for first-time offenders that would clear his record.

The judge allowed Sims to remain free on bond and ordered him to report to probation authorities to complete a pre-sentence report. The judge will use the report to determine if Sims qualifies under the Holmes Youthful Trainee Act to keep the conviction off his records if he successfully completes probation.

I guess I just see all of this as mere formality, to make sure Sims walks a tight line between now and December 6th. We'll see, but I'd personally be shocked if he doesn't get HYTA.

I guess I just see all of this as mere formality, to make sure Sims walks a tight line between now and December 6th. We'll see, but I'd personally be shocked if he doesn't get HYTA.

IF nothing else comes up, I agree

Edited by Johnny Mac

So...when will Sims be back on the field? A couple weeks? Or is he not that good of a player so State can just walk away? :)

No surprise there, there was a potentially really big snag when the this thread was being discussed that might have caused him a problem but it never ended up being brought up so with what he got charged with, the expected result happened.

"...District Judge Kevin Robbins stated during the sentencing that he will support Sims regaining an active status on the team if Sims completes his probation."

“I will go up (to East Lansing) myself or do it by letter,” Robbins said. “Whatever it’s going to take.”

Good to have his support.