Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Mac

Michigan State TE and SF charged in Detroit Public School Scandal

Didn't know whether to put it here or in the political section, but here it is anyway. Now you know why he hasn't played a down all season.

Sims plays basketball and football at Michigan State

10 face charges in scheme to steal, sell DPS computers | detnews.com | The Detroit News

10 face charges in scheme to steal, sell DPS computers

Doug Guthrie, Mike Wilkinson and Shawn D. Lewis / The Detroit News

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said her office will charge 10 men with a scheme to steal and sell hundreds of thousands of dollars in computers from the Detroit Public Schools.

The charges stem from an ongoing probe aimed at ferreting out corruption from the financially troubled district and could generate 20-year prison terms for the suspects, who include Dion L. Sims, a football player at Michigan State University.

Worthy said 104 laptops valued at $158,800 were stolen in thefts beginning in December and were recovered across the country and in Canada and the United Arab Emirates.

Worthy, Emergency Financial Manager Robert Bobb and school district Inspector General Wilbert Van Marsh attended the press conference this afternoon.

Bobb said dozens of schools have been burglarized in recent years, and nearly 800 laptops have been taken.

"This is about stealing educational opportunity directly from our students and we aren't going to stand for it," he said.

The Office of the Inspector General has aggressively investigated allegations of corruption in the school system.

"We're disappointed," Van Marsh said at the press conference. "It seems nothing is out of bounds for these crooks."

He said the laptops had tracking devices installed in them which aided the investigation and allowed them to track the computers down. They were found in Arizona, California, Michigan, Florida, Ohio and Tennessee, in addition to Canada and the United Arab Emirates.

Van Marsh is a former FBI agent whom Bobb appointed deputy inspector general in March 2009. Van Marsh was elevated to inspector general in July with the retirement of another former FBI agent, John Bell.

Under Bell, the Office of the Inspector General has opened nearly 300 criminal investigations, resulting in 35 people being referred to disciplinary hearings. Of the inquiries, 25 resulted in recovery of stolen goods; 30 were referred to the Wayne County prosecutor for criminal charges, and six were sent to the U.S. Attorney, according to the district.

This summer, the district reported its investigations had identified monetary losses of $994,078 and recovered 71 laptops worth $71,000 and cash totaling $17,212. The probes also resulted in incorrectly collected advanced placement fees of $12,000 being returned to students.

In addition, the district referred cases for prosecution in which $89,468 in restitution was ordered, initiated discussions that led to receipt of back payments and credits from lessees and utility companies totaling $550,000, and obtained $667,000 in grant money.

Monetary losses included lost revenue and increased expenses for leased buildings totaling $807,078 and embezzlement of $187,000.

In August, Worthy announced felony charges against two former DPS employees and a Detroit police officer in an alleged embezzlement that defrauded the district of nearly $150,000. Authorities said the money was used for personal home improvements, mortgage payments, purses and jewelry.

Among those charged were Gwendolyn Miller, 58, of Detroit, a former principal of Randolph Career and Technical Center; Eugenia Holimon, 47, of Detroit, a former Randolph accountant, and Holimon's friend, Robert Gibson, 57, of Farmington Hills, a police officer for more than 30 years. Also charged was Holimon's son, Eric, 22 of Detroit.

From The Detroit News: 10 face charges in scheme to steal, sell DPS computers | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Well, imp things first: sims long ago decided to forego basketball, which is why Keith appling wears #5.

Secondly, I'm glad we've moved on to white collar crimes. No more of this thug ****.

That is all.

This is no big deal. These players are just misunderstood.

Dantonio will have him back on the field as soon as he gets out the joint.

I'm glad we've moved on to white collar crimes. No more of this thug ****.

That is all.

If you don't like progress, don't come to Michigan State!

Whoknew... He's such a creative feller.

Honestly though, this could have been his signing bonus. Guess he got caught up In the wrong group, but man, my tolerance for stupidity is so low...

There is already a thread on the Braylon Edwards arrest, so I dont get its relevance here.

SV - This has been an ongoing investigation since February or so, I am pretty sure Izzo told Sims he didnt want anything to do with him when he found out, which is why Sims has not been involved with the basketball team

There is already a thread on the Braylon Edwards arrest, so I dont get its relevance here.

SV - This has been an ongoing investigation since February or so, I am pretty sure Izzo told Sims he didnt want anything to do with him when he found out, which is why Sims has not been involved with the basketball team

Sorry, did not see it. I just put it here since we were already talking about players in trouble. I will do a full board scan next time :wink:

There is already a thread on the Braylon Edwards arrest, so I dont get its relevance * here.

* Crime.

You are welcome.

So why you saying he's a bball player if he's not?

So why you saying he's a bball player if he's not?

He was a bball player in the most recent season...He was a bball player until this incident, and because of it now he is not. I don't get your beef with classifying him as a bball player.

Prosecutor Worthy: Charges in "criminal enterprise" targeting DPS

The MSU athletic department has issued a statement saying Dion Sims has been placed on indefinite suspension.

It reads:

Since mid-February, we have been aware that Dion Sims and members of his extended family have been dealing with some legal issues. Dion informed the coaching staff of the police investigation and has kept them apprised of the progress of the investigation.

Dion did not participate in the first three regular-season games, and as of today, he has been suspended from football team-related activities due to these issues. During his indefinite suspension, Dion will continue to have access to all of the available resources in the Clara Bell Smith Student-Athlete Academic Center. We will allow the legal process to play out before we make any final decision regarding his future status with the team.

For the extended family part, his dad has been charged with a similar crime in Washtenaw County in June.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/former-university-of-michigan-employee-charged-with-embezzlement/

A former business administrator at the University of Michigan's Center for AfroAmerican and African Studies is accused of embezzling more than $85,000 from the university.

Donald Lewis Sims Jr. is charged with one count of embezzling $50,000 or more but less than $100,000 and three counts of embezzling $1,000 or more but less than $20,000.

Sims, 41, of Ypsilanti Township, was arrested by University of Michigan police earlier this month and was released on a personal recognizance bond after being arraigned.

His attorney, Don Ferris, declined to comment on the charges this afternoon.

Sims is accused of “fraudulently purchasing” at least 75 computers and 14 computer-related items valued at nearly $74,000, University of Michigan police spokeswoman Diane Brown said. Sims sold the equipment for personal gain, Brown said. It was part of his job to buy equipment for CAAS, which is a unit of the College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, Brown said.

Sims also is accused of making about $14,000 in other fraudulent purchases, for which the university was not reimbursed, Brown said. According to court records, those purchases were made on a University of Michigan credit card.

The alleged criminal activity occurred between Jan. 1, 2008, and Feb. 11 of this year, court records show. Sims' employment ended March 22, university spokeswoman Kelly Cunningham said. Sims began working for the university in September 1990, Cunningham said.

His most recent annual salary as an intermediate business administrator was $66,868, Cunningham said.

Sims, who waived his right to a preliminary hearing, is scheduled to return to court for a pretrial hearing July 22. If convicted of the felony charges, he faces up to 30 years in prison, court records show.

Just to clarify, because I know sports radio brought this up, but what Dion Sims is charged for is a separate issue than the one his dad is charged for. If it was the same crime, as someone insinuated on sports talk, they would have been charged together in the same court and his dad would be charged today in Wayne County for it if he was involved with the ring that Dion Sims is involved with that was charged today.

Edited by Johnny Mac

Yikes. I guess that answers the Sims question. If true, I hope they nail everybody in this ring. Stealing from a school district that is desperate to provide whatever education they can to their students? Horrible.

This is no big deal. These players are just misunderstood.

Dantonio will have him back on the field as soon as he gets out the joint.

Just like Stonum was back on the field for RichRod as soon as he got out of the joint...

Goes both ways there, chief. Both schools have a bunch of morons in their programs.

Just like Stonum was back on the field for RichRod as soon as he got out of the joint...

Goes both ways there, chief. Both schools have a bunch of morons in their programs.

Spending 3 days in jail is hardly the same as spending 180 days in jail. I think Fred Smith spent 4 days in jail for his role in the fight.

However, I do agree that pretty much every school has a bunch of morons on their team. Urban Meyer has had, what, 30 guys arrested since he has been at Florida.

Spending 3 days in jail is hardly the same as spending 180 days in jail. I think Fred Smith spent 4 days in jail for his role in the fight.

Not disagreeing there. Just pointing out that UM also had a player in jail this summer that wound up right back out there playing. Obviously 180 days is much, much more.

Boy, I love these "pissing" contests...always such thrilling reading ! I'd think all schools supply enough ammunition for any rival to spout clever comments ! It is just soooooo monotonous !

Not disagreeing there. Just pointing out that UM also had a player in jail this summer that wound up right back out there playing. Obviously 180 days is much, much more.

Right but Winston was just a good kid who was misunderstood and Dantonio was just trying to be a saint and take him under his wing to straighten him out. Besides - he was a third string tailback. Lucky to even get on special teams. That had NOTHING to do with his talent.

I'm sure Sims will get the same treatment. Because more than a coach, Dantonio is really more like a modern day Father Flanagan.

If we can have the success of Da U, I say let's get our hands on any felon with a sub 4-4 40!!

Thats the thing, as long as your succesful, no one cares.

But I put this Sims thing on a different level than your every day college arrest. This one is real bad in my opinion considering it involves DPS.

Also, Sims involvement, while stupid and criminal, isnt as bad as some of the other defendants involved. I wouldnt be shocked if he serves minimal to no jail time. So many defendants involved, I would be begging for a plea in hopes of getting a deal for testimony because there are bigger pieces in this case.

Edited by Johnny Mac

Right but Winston was just a good kid who was misunderstood and Dantonio was just trying to be a saint and take him under his wing to straighten him out. Besides - he was a third string tailback. Lucky to even get on special teams. That had NOTHING to do with his talent.

I'm sure Sims will get the same treatment. Because more than a coach, Dantonio is really more like a modern day Father Flanagan.

Why wasn't Stonum suspended?