SpartanValor

Game 3: Notre Dame @ Michigan State

Still...so much...hate...for...the Irish...

Me too. I use to like Brian Kelly .. now .. there is just something about him I can't stand :cheeky:

Me too. I use to like Brian Kelly .. now .. there is just something about him I can't stand :cheeky:

Maybe it is because he coaches Notre Dame, but it could also be that he seems so full of himself all the time.

And I hate ND more than any other sports team on earth.

Mine are the buckeyes, though nd isn't too far behind.

This is one of few games each season I become a state fan. Would love to see sparty pummel nd Saturday.

Nice visit weekend on tap for ND.

Damn near the entire verballed 2011 group, in addition to:

Doran Grant

DeAnthony Arnett

Anthony Zettel

Roger Williamson

Damon Knox

Number of impressive 2012's too.

He keeps using the "*Insert School Name Here* is the perfect location for me" line or some variant of it. Yeah...it's the perfect location until more money is put on the table. He is a somewhat decent coach, but like was said above, he's full of himself.

Maybe it is because he coaches Notre Dame, but it could also be that he seems so full of himself all the time.

haha, my favorite was him talking about how well his defense played after getting burned for 500+ yards...by one player.

Go Green!

He keeps using the "*Insert School Name Here* is the perfect location for me" line or some variant of it. Yeah...it's the perfect location until more money is put on the table. He is a somewhat decent coach, but like was said above, he's full of himself.

I don't mind all that...That's just coach speak.

I've heard more than enough other stories that speak to the character of the guy...And watched first-hand, him toss player after player right under the bus in post-game and half-time interviews. That's prick 101 - and eventually it'll bite him.

Lets see those Sparty predictions!

I'm nervous for this one. I'll say it again, ND is a worse match-up schematically for MSU than Michigan (perhaps even UW - if one was to look at what's on our docket of the next month)...I'm looking at a cool crisp night, perhaps some precipitation - all leading to some "Pound, Green Pound" on the ground...Caper returns and starts to make some noise, with Baker and Bell just continuing to make noise - MSU 31, ND 26.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Notre Dame is actually pretty good at defending the running game ... from RBs.

If MSU wins .. and I think they will, Kirk Cousins will win this game.

Not really. They're young, the ones that are decent.

Not really. They're good.

I'll happily preference any of the first 3 on our depth chart over whoever it is that you'll choose to line up next to your man that would be king...

That said, Armando Allen is pretty damn good, too. A few nice backs in that game.

We'll see Saturday then... Weird that we have to argue when I think you'll win, but that's how you are.

LOL, yeah, that must be...

I guess I'm just having a hard time coming to terms with the new harder-edge Benke! The one who just isn't here to take the guff anymore folks! The one who's done standing by when the honor of the Maize and Blue is at stake...The one who still can't take a joke (Benke: "Notre Dame is actually pretty good at defending the running game ... from RBs."...My response "Yeah, but we actually have good ones...")...

Yes JB, we get it, ND couldn't stop Denard Robinson (THE QB) from running wild. Yet they found a way to stop these guys: Smith, Shaw and Hopkins - 13 carries 30 yards...Now MAYBE that's because ND's really good at stopping running backs! Yet move that "running back" directly behind center and they become 11 monkeys trying to fu#k a football...Or maybe they aren't that great stopping the run at all, and Michigan's running backs aren't that great or haven't found their groove in the offense yet (who knows - better yet who cares, since you haven't shown any sign of needing them anyway)...What we do know is that ND was pretty average against the run in '08, pretty bad in '09 (returned 8 starters this year) - saw Dan Dierking (PU) sprint for 6+ a carry earlier this year; saw Denard Robinson sprint for whatever the hell he wanted...I don't know, but I'll probably withhold judgement as to whether or not ND's good against the run...Well, from running backs anyway...

All of this said, it does please me to see that you already know so much about ND's defense and MSU's running backs...Since they're not your teams and all. Nice to see you branching out.

LOL, yeah, that must be...

I guess I'm just having a hard time coming to terms with the new harder-edge Benke! The one who just isn't here to take the guff anymore folks! The one who's done standing by when the honor of the Maize and Blue is at stake...The one who still can't take a joke (Benke: "Notre Dame is actually pretty good at defending the running game ... from RBs."...My response "Yeah, but we actually have good ones...")...

Yes JB, we get it, ND couldn't stop Denard Robinson (THE QB) from running wild. Yet they found a way to stop these guys: Smith, Shaw and Hopkins - 13 carries 30 yards...Now MAYBE that's because ND's really good at stopping running backs! Yet move that "running back" directly behind center and they become 11 monkeys trying to fu#k a football...Or maybe they aren't that great stopping the run at all, and Michigan's running backs aren't that great or haven't found their groove in the offense yet (who knows - better yet who cares, since you haven't shown any sign of needing them anyway)...What we do know is that ND was pretty average against the run in '08, pretty bad in '09 (returned 8 starters this year) - saw Dan Dierking (PU) sprint for 6+ a carry earlier this year; saw Denard Robinson sprint for whatever the hell he wanted...I don't know, but I'll probably withhold judgement as to whether or not ND's good against the run...Well, from running backs anyway...

All of this said, it does please me to see that you already know so much about ND's defense and MSU's running backs...Since they're not your teams and all. Nice to see you branching out.

LOL. That was a pretty hilarious response. With that being said I actually agree with a lot of what you said. I do think Michigans backs have talent but, they havn't been been included much in the offense yet. Mostly because Denard has been running wild. HOWEVER, for some odd reason ND played D in a way that forced Denard to keep the ball and not hand it off. Such a strange decision given the previous week. Oh well. By the way, Hopkins is a beast, everytime time he touches the ball he scores. :square:

Edit: I actually meant to talk about the MSU backs in this post as well but accidently hit post. So anyway, I dont think we have a good feel for the MSU backs yet either based on who they have played the first 2 games. Thats not saying they are not good, because I believe they are, but Notre Dame will be the big test to see where they are at.

As far as the game goes. Its still tough for me to predict. I think MSU is going to have a lot of success running the ball. But on the other side of the ball I think ND has the ability to burn MSU's secondary.

What is swaying me towards ND is MSU's inability to either convert on 3rd down, or stop another team on 3rd down. And that was against WMU and FAU so they are going to need to step up big time. I'll go ND 31 MSU 27 but I'm not extremely confident in that.

Edited by mrlmichael

He was hesitant at first when asked about Larry Caper, but Mark Dantonio basically just confirmed that Caper will be active for the MSU-Notre Dame game.

Not one to talk much about injuries, Dantonio made a joke about moving Caper to the secondary, then said: "He'll be playing in our backfield, we've held him out based on situations."

Basically, the fact that MSU didn't need him, and the fact that Edwin Baker and Le'Veon Bell have been running wild at about 9.5 per tote. Dantonio said Caper could have played last week if needed.

So carries will be interesting to track on Saturday night.

Also on the injury front, tight end Garrett Celek has to decide whether or not to have surgery and possibly get a medical redshirt for this year. (He would actually have to apply for a sixth year after next season, when he'll be a fifth-year senior). If Celek doesn't have surgery, Dantonio said, he could be back in four or five weeks. Backup to Charlie Gantt is listed as Brian Linthicum OR Dion Sims.

Nothing terribly interesting on the rest of the depth chart, except that Fred Smith no longer appears on it. The fullback listing is Nick Bendzuck No. 1, TyQuan Hammock No. 2 and Drew Stevens No. 3.

Caper should play - LSJ Blogs: Hey, Joe

Sounds like Dion Sims' two game hiatus will come to an end.

Caper should play - LSJ Blogs: Hey, Joe

Sounds like Dion Sims' two game hiatus will come to an end.

I wouldnt count on that.

Also with Caper back, MSU running game is going to shred ND. I expect a high scoring game, and as I think SV mentioned earlier, a wet rainy day would really help MSU cause. My prediction is MSU 38 ND 30

I wouldnt count on that.

Also with Caper back, MSU running game is going to shred ND. I expect a high scoring game, and as I think SV mentioned earlier, a wet rainy day would really help MSU cause. My prediction is MSU 38 ND 30

I agree with your point about MSU being able to gain good yardage on the ground against ND. I also agree that if it does rain that should help MSU. Where I disagree is if all these things come into play (rain, strong MSU running game) the score will never get to 38-30.

I agree with your point about MSU being able to gain good yardage on the ground against ND. I also agree that if it does rain that should help MSU. Where I disagree is if all these things come into play (rain, strong MSU running game) the score will never get to 38-30.

Possibly not, but neither teams defense impresses me that much, which was part of my prediction. I will say its more likely than not that the score will be less than that instead of more. If the over/under was 67, Id bet the under even given my prediction (if that makes any sense at all).

Possibly not, but neither teams defense impresses me that much, which was part of my prediction. I will say its more likely than not that the score will be less than that instead of more. If the over/under was 67, Id bet the under even given my prediction (if that makes any sense at all).

67??? It's not Texas Tech/Tulsa! We occasionally tackle somebody! :nervous: