From Spartan Stadium, in East Lansing, Michigan

4127856965_fd38201e4b_z.jpg

Battle for the Megaphone Trophy

NotreDameFightingIrishLogo.jpg?max_width=250200px-MSUSpartans_Logo.svg.png

(1-1) @ (2-0)

Notre Dame Fighting Irish

AT

4913361860_d3dbc3e09f.jpg

150px-CapitalOneBowlLogo.png150px-Outbackbowl2008logo.png150px-GatorBowl.png150px-TempeInsightBowllogo.jpgTexasBowlLogo.png150px-DallasFootballClassic.PNG

Date: Saturday, September 18th, 2010

Time: 8:00pm EST

Television Broadcast Provided by:

ABC

Radio Broadcast Provided by:

www.spartansportsnetwork.com

“My only feeling about superstition is that it's unlucky to be behind at the end of the game”

Duffy Daugherty

MSU is a 3 point favorite. Looks like we get the short end of the stick...if we beat ND, its just because they're not very good. Looked a bit different a week earlier.

More 3-4 in store?

Then there's MSU's defense, which promised to prominently feature more 3-4 fronts but rarely has displayed them. Dantonio and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi continue to rely mostly on the standard 4-3 and nickel tactics they've used since they arrived on campus three years ago.

Dantonio and his defenders turned coy Saturday on just what to expect in the coming weeks.

Ask Eric Gordon, and the Spartans used the 3-4 "a few times" Saturday.

Fellow linebacker Greg Jones quashed that - "We haven't run it at all since I've been at Michigan State" - but thinks it can be unleashed at any time and be "disruptive."

As for Colin Neely, well ... "I don't know anything about a 3-4," the senior defensive end said cryptically. When asked if he was being serious, he slyly responded, "That's the answer I have."

Apparently, Neely either lost his playbook or went on a study abroad in Nepal during offseason workouts.

Dantonio offered little more clarity. Asked if the Spartans were holding back in these first two weeks, his answer veered straight into coachspeak.

"We haven't done everything," he said, measuring his words, "but we're just trying to win football games."

He kept going with his poker-faced spiel about sticking to gameplans each week depending on the opponent. But taking a peek at one of those gameplans, Notre Dame will provide the first transparent look at just what these Spartans have kept in storage - and whether or not this season's lofty expectations truly are warranted.

Buttoned-down Spartans showing little | greenandwhite.com | Lansing State Journal

MSU is a 3 point favorite. Looks like we get the short end of the stick...if we beat ND, its just because they're not very good. Looked a bit different a week earlier.

Buttoned-down Spartans showing little | greenandwhite.com | Lansing State Journal

I'll give you one guess as to the identity of a team in which you damn well better believe you're gonna see some of it.

My personal opinion, Notre Dame, with Dayne Crist, is a tougher match-up for Michigan State's personnel than Michigan is. I'm not saying both aren't difficult match-ups, but what Michigan wants to do, MSU can defend (or at least better defend than what ND is gonna want to do).

Pumped for this! Under the lights in EL is always great.

BTW, if anyone hears of two lower levels seats at face value I'm very interested. :happy: Stubhub has them over 100 and my friend and I don't want to pay more than 75.

GO LIL BROTHER -- honestly! I hate Notre Dame with an absolute passion!!

Well that. But you also have to remember if Michigan State smashed Notre Dame, our win does not hold as much value anymore (see Boise State vs VT except not on as large of a scale). But enough of that:

I have watched both MSU games so far, every offensive snap of Notre Dame vs Purdue, and the Notre Dame vs Michigan game. So I have a pretty good idea of what each team is trying to feature. I think MSU's ground attack will give the Notre Dame defense fits. Their D Line is pretty big, but not that athletic and they can be pushed around.

However on the other side of the ball I see big mis matches for Notre Dame to exploit MSU's secondary similar to the Michigan game. If the first 2 weeks are any indication MSU has not improved at all in that area. I'm still kind of lost as to what I think about this game, but I am leaning towards Notre Dame if Crist doesn't go blind.

Edit: On a side note Spartan Stadium looks pretty awesome at night.

I'll give you one guess as to the identity of a team in which you damn well better believe you're gonna see some of it.

My personal opinion, Notre Dame, with Dayne Crist, is a tougher match-up for Michigan State's personnel than Michigan is. I'm not saying both aren't difficult match-ups, but what Michigan wants to do, MSU can defend (or at least better defend than what ND is gonna want to do).

Wouldn't be surprised if October 9th was also the first time you see it.

Wouldn't be surprised if October 9th was also the first time you see it.

Actually MSU ran some plays out of it this past weekend. Slid Jones to the outside, moved Gordon into the middle alongside Steve Gardiner, and bookended it with Chris Norman. I can't recall who the interior d-lineman was.

I was wrong...The opposite weak-side backer on that series was none other than Will Gholston.

Edited by lionstigersand...

MSU is a 3 point favorite at home against ND, while M was a 4 point underdog at ND. I've heard home/away accounts for ~2 points.

I fully expect us to be solidly in the top 20 following a win this weekend, Crist or no Crist. [/sarcasm]

MSU is a 3 point favorite at home against ND, while M was a 4 point underdog at ND. I've heard home/away accounts for ~2 points.

I fully expect us to be solidly in the top 20 following a win this weekend, Crist or no Crist. [/sarcasm]

I think the combo of losing at home to UM and this game being in EL is the reason your seeing the 7 point swing on the line.

That being said, if MSU wins this weekend they will be in the top 25.

Yeah, but if they saw what Crist did while in the game, and realizing Crist will be healthy for this week, I don't buy that as an explanation for the points swing. But I don't know much about what happens in Vegas.

And I would happily wager that MSU will most definitely not be in the top 25 if they win this weekend. Guaranteed. Thats what happens when you're not in the cool kids club, it is what it is. But they'd have to pass too many teams right now.

We'll only be ranked if we also beat Wisky and go to 5-0.

Some notes:

On the college side of things, Mark Dantonio met with reporters for 10 minutes Sunday night. Not much to report, but Josh Rouse will be MSU's fourth captain for the Notre Dame game. And that brings to mind Amp Campbell, fresh off his neck injury at Oregon, and the Notre Dame night game of 1998.

Dantonio reiterated some of what he said Saturday about seeking better overall play, and said he was hoping to get Andrew Maxwell more work in these first two weeks. He would not answer a question about Larry Caper's status for this week. Asked if Blake Treadwell might be in line for a redshirt considering the depth at DT and the fact that Treadwell has missed two games, Dantonio said Treadwell will play this season. That's about it.

Sunday briefing - LSJ Blogs: Hey, Joe

Yeah, but if they saw what Crist did while in the game, and realizing Crist will be healthy for this week, I don't buy that as an explanation for the points swing. But I don't know much about what happens in Vegas.

Vegas tries to get a lot of people to put money on the game. A lot of people out there in Vegas betting will look at the score of the Michigan vs Notre Dame game, see the game is in EL and take MSU. If MSU starts getting a lot of action they will move the line closer to ND as the week goes on to try and even it out.

And I would happily wager that MSU will most definitely not be in the top 25 if they win this weekend. Guaranteed. Thats what happens when you're not in the cool kids club, it is what it is. But they'd have to pass too many teams right now.

I dont know. Looking at the poll I thought MSU was getting a lot of votes. I could be wrong though. You are right though, a lot of the poll is the name. With that being said, MSU wasn't exactly impressive last week which may have something to do with it. If they give ND a good thumping I think they will crack the top 25.

As a Michigan fan if I had to choose who I want to win I would be inclined to say Notre Dame because Michigan just beat them, so it would make our win hold more water.

This is going to be a very interesting game. I'm still on the fence in regards to who I think will win. Can't wait to watch it.

As a Michigan fan if I had to choose who I want to win I would be inclined to say Notre Dame because Michigan just beat them, so it would make our win hold more water.

This is going to be a very interesting game. I'm still on the fence in regards to who I think will win. Can't wait to watch it.

IF UM were BCS contenders, I would agree. But I still see some losses coming.

And I hate ND more than any other sports team on earth.

IF UM were BCS contenders, I would agree. But I still see some losses coming.

And I hate ND more than any other sports team on earth.

I see what you mean. However, even if it doesn't do anything with the media, the rankings, I still would want ND to win just to keep me sane. If MSU spanks Notre Dame all over the field, I'm going to spend the next 3 weeks worrying about the MSU game.

I see what you mean. However, even if it doesn't do anything with the media, the rankings, I still would want ND to win just to keep me sane. If MSU spanks Notre Dame all over the field, I'm going to spend the next 3 weeks worrying about the MSU game.

Now that, I can understand.

Still...so much...hate...for...the Irish...