JonBenke

Dombrowski Gets Candid

Actually a Guillen for Beltran deal would be preferable..

which poses the question...can Guillen play 1B, and do the Mets need a bat at 1B? I wouldn't want Guillen on my team if I was running a NL team, but I might gamble on him if he could stay healthy at 1B.

if so, I'd offer up Guillen, Casper Wells and Charlie Furbush for one year of Beltran, and resign Maggs...platooning them in RF and DH.

which poses the question...can Guillen play 1B, and do the Mets need a bat at 1B? I wouldn't want Guillen on my team if I was running a NL team, but I might gamble on him if he could stay healthy at 1B.

if so, I'd offer up Guillen, Casper Wells and Charlie Furbush for one year of Beltran, and resign Maggs...platooning them in RF and DH.

mac..they may make a Beltran for Guillen deal just for the 5MM in savings..

We shouldn't be talking Werth........ He's going to be 2 and a half years older and has a bit more power. Plus he's right handed. Go for Crawford and Dunn. If we don't get CC go for Werth. Why make Werth.the target when you can get the best.

Ike Davis has had a pretty respectable rookie season, .256/.344/.442, 18 HR and 64 RBI.

Tigers need to get younger (and yes, cheaper) next year, competing if they can, but mostly getting ready for 2012. I think we be in for a big season in 2012 as long as DD doesn't give in to the blockbuster trade talk.

Dombrowski gets candid

When discussing on Wednesday during a WDFN interview what the Tigers' greatest need is, president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said "we need to score more runs. That's middle of the order-type guys who'll drive in runs.

"We have more hits than the Yankees and Red Sox, but we don't score as many runs. So we need someone to knock them in.

"Some of that will come with youngsters gaining experience, but we need people in the middle of the lineup to go with Cabrera, knocking in runs."

In the same WDFN interview, when talking about young players, Dombrowski said "Who knows, you look at Will Rhymes or Scott Sizemore and they might be your second baseman for years. You just can't tell.

"I feel comfortable going into next year at second base with what we have at this point -- with Rhymes and Sizemore. We're in pretty solid shape when you talk about having those guys.

"For us, we need to find bats at the corners to go along with Cabrera -- guys who can drive in some big runs."

From The Detroit News: Jeremy Bonderman: I'd like to return to Tigers next season | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Interesting Dombrowski made no mention of Guillen in discussing 2B

Isnt Manny Ramirez a free agent and isnt Scott Boras his pimp? Sounds like a match made in Illitchville

Edited by Rob from Canton

Ike Davis has had a pretty respectable rookie season, .256/.344/.442, 18 HR and 64 RBI.

Tigers need to get younger (and yes, cheaper) next year, competing if they can, but mostly getting ready for 2012. I think we be in for a big season in 2012 as long as DD doesn't give in to the blockbuster trade talk.

2012... No. We are looking toward next season.

Make one of these trades. For Jose Reyes or Hanley Ramirez. Reyes is significantly less valuable but we need a guy who can slug. Ramirez fits the 3 or 5 guy spot. For Reyes I would trade 2 of Furbish,Oliver,Crosby plus any position players they want. For Hanley I would throw turner in the trade in a heart beat. I understand he has huge potential but im willing to ship off a future stud for a guy who's a HOF caliber talent and young. For Hanley maybe Turner,Oliver,Crosby, and Gustavo Nunez for a center piece. Plus some other

prospects. Say we trade for Han ram and Sign Dunn. There's a viscious 3,4,5.

Instead of signing two premier bats, let's just sign one premier bat and use the other money to sign two premier relievers: Rafael Soriano and Scott Downs.

At this point, Werth is looking like the most likely option. This scares me a bit. People complain about Crawford having a career year...well, so is Werth. He has a career .270 avg and .842 OPS. I am guessing you would see numbers similar to that over the life of the contract you sign him too. To me, that is not worth 12-15 million per year.

Instead of signing two premier bats, let's just sign one premier bat and use the other money to sign two premier relievers: Rafael Soriano and Scott Downs.

At this point, Werth is looking like the most likely option. This scares me a bit. People complain about Crawford having a career year...well, so is Werth. He has a career .270 avg and .842 OPS. I am guessing you would see numbers similar to that over the life of the contract you sign him too. To me, that is not worth 12-15 million per year.

Crawford is better in every way but power. Younger,faster,better fielder, and for average. If we can get him, that would be great. I didn't know Soriano is a FA? We will get premium bat and premium left handed pitcher via FA. And trade for another bat. Here is an excellent off season plan. Realistic, don't know. But it is economical compared to this year payroll. Especially for how good this team would be. Btw I don't know if we can trade Castellanos yet so spare me the critisizm if he can't be traded yet.

Trades: Jacob Turner,Nick Castellanos,Charlie Furbish,Gustavo Nunez and Ryan Strieby for Hanly Ramirez

Trade Carlos Guillen straight up for Carlos Beltran. It saves the mets 5 mil as each of them have 1 year deals and beltran makes 5 mil more.

Sign Cliff Lee to a 4 year 76 million Dollar deal ( At least... )

Sign Adam Dunn to a 4 year deal

Pick up Johnny Peralta 7M dollar option

Lineup

1. Austin Jackson CF

2. Will Rhymes 2B

3. Hanly Ramirez 3B ( He sucks at SS )

4. Miguel Cabrera 1B

5. Adam Dunn DH

6. Carlos Beltran LF

7. Brennan Boesch RF

8. Johnny Peralta SS

9. Alex Avila C

Rotation

1. Justin Verlander

2. Cliff Lee

3. Max Sherzer

4. Rick Porcello

5. Andrew Oliver or Armando Gallaraga

That's under 130 million and worth every damn penny.

Maybe I am reading more into DD's remarks than I should...

He did say that we need players AT THE CORNERS to go along with Cabrera. Can this mean that Cabrera becomes our DH (he did just hurt his shoulder diving for a ball) and we find a first basemen (can Adam Dunn play first?). This may also mean that Inge will not be here in 2011.

DD

2012... No. We are looking toward next season.

No, you are looking to next year. I'm looking further. I want to compete for (and yes, WIN) a World Series for the next 5 or 6 years. You don't do that by trading away your best assets for 1 player.

Crawford is better in every way but power. Younger,faster,better fielder, and for average. If we can get him, that would be great. I didn't know Soriano is a FA? We will get premium bat and premium left handed pitcher via FA. And trade for another bat. Here is an excellent off season plan. Realistic, don't know. But it is economical compared to this year payroll. Especially for how good this team would be. Btw I don't know if we can trade Castellanos yet so spare me the critisizm if he can't be traded yet.

Trades: Jacob Turner,Nick Castellanos,Charlie Furbish,Gustavo Nunez and Ryan Strieby for Hanly Ramirez

Trade Carlos Guillen straight up for Carlos Beltran. It saves the mets 5 mil as each of them have 1 year deals and beltran makes 5 mil more.

Lineup

1. Austin Jackson CF

2. Will Rhymes 2B

4. Miguel Cabrera 1B

5. Adam Dunn DH

6. Carlos Beltran LF

7. Brennan Boesch RF

8. Johnny Peralta SS

9. Alex Avila C

Rotation

1. Justin Verlander

2. Cliff Lee

3. Max Sherzer

4. Rick Porcello

And he's never played 3B. WTF?

He did say that we need players AT THE CORNERS to go along with Cabrera. Can this mean that Cabrera becomes our DH (he did just hurt his shoulder diving for a ball) and we find a first basemen (can Adam Dunn play first?). This may also mean that Inge will not be here in 2011.

DD

DD

I thought he had tendonitis --- which I thought was from over use

did he really hurt himself diving for a ball?

That's the last off season lineup I make... I am just going to wait until the off season to talk about this anymore. All I know is we win the division easily next year.

DD

I'm pretty sure he meant corner outfielders, i.e. RF and LF, making two big bats to help Cabrera with run production "RBI guys".

I think we could include any three of our top 5 prospects, and I'd be happy with this deal.

Rob

Yes, I agree. Completely. Heck, I'd even throw in the fourth one, too.

That's the last off season lineup I make... I am just going to wait until the off season to talk about this anymore. All I know is we win the division easily next year.

I might just bookmark this post

I will not make one more lineup post or thread. I will however discuss trades and signings.

How do you feel about bums?

btw, how is the school year going (you a soccer/football player too?)

Lineup

1. Austin Jackson CF

2. Will Rhymes 2B

4. Miguel Cabrera 1B

5. Adam Dunn DH

6. Carlos Beltran LF

7. Brennan Boesch RF

8. Johnny Peralta SS

9. Alex Avila C

Rotation

1. Justin Verlander

2. Cliff Lee

3. Max Sherzer

4. Rick Porcello

EA Sports, it's in the game.

I mean, that is where you came up with this scenario, right?

DD

He might've been talking about corner outfielders.

He might have said corners because he was just talking to a radio guy and corners are where you usually put RBI guys. He probably has a general plan but I doubt he knows specifically who he can get yet.

Really? Omar Minaya must be huffing spraypaint or something.

Lineup

1. Austin Jackson CF

2. Will Rhymes 2B

4. Miguel Cabrera 1B

5. Adam Dunn DH

6. Carlos Beltran LF

7. Brennan Boesch RF

8. Johnny Peralta SS

9. Alex Avila C

Rotation

1. Justin Verlander

2. Cliff Lee

3. Max Sherzer

4. Rick Porcello

guten hemmel....