JonBenke

Dombrowski Gets Candid

Dombrowski gets candid

When discussing on Wednesday during a WDFN interview what the Tigers' greatest need is, president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said "we need to score more runs. That's middle of the order-type guys who'll drive in runs.

"We have more hits than the Yankees and Red Sox, but we don't score as many runs. So we need someone to knock them in.

"Some of that will come with youngsters gaining experience, but we need people in the middle of the lineup to go with Cabrera, knocking in runs."

In the same WDFN interview, when talking about young players, Dombrowski said "Who knows, you look at Will Rhymes or Scott Sizemore and they might be your second baseman for years. You just can't tell.

"I feel comfortable going into next year at second base with what we have at this point -- with Rhymes and Sizemore. We're in pretty solid shape when you talk about having those guys.

"For us, we need to find bats at the corners to go along with Cabrera -- guys who can drive in some big runs."

From The Detroit News: Jeremy Bonderman: I'd like to return to Tigers next season | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Isn't this basically what we've known since the end of the 2009 season?

Yea, but now we have another thread that we can discuss the potential #3 & 5 hitters we can acquire :classic:

Seriously though, I found it worth posting after reading a few people ask on what if we don't make any moves.

Yea, but now we have another thread that we can discuss the potential #3 & 5 hitters we can acquire :classic:

Seriously though, I found it worth posting after reading a few people ask on what if we don't make any moves.

I won't disagree with you. It is nice to hear the man behind the moves come out and say that there are needs and they will be addressing them, but on the other hand I think to myself, "Well what else would he say? Everyone knows there is no protection in the lineup." I really think Casper Wells is this off-seasons trade bait, especially if he continues to have success. It seems like he is getting a lot of pub for a guy with 35 at bats to his name.

Turner, Wells, Boesch, and Crosby for Hanley and Uggla! Yay! :rambo: Wait, never mind, they said second base is settled with Rhymes and Sizemore. Wait, why are we playing two guys at one position? Maybe we won't have a catcher next year. Bet he'll outhit Laird.

Crawford 3 and Dunn 5.

Obviosuly, this would be tremendous. I like Peralta too, I wouldnt mind seeing him one more year.

Need another arm for the rotation as well. Bonderman will keep his name in the mix if he has a few more quality starts.

Dombrowski gets candid

When discussing on Wednesday during a WDFN interview what the Tigers' greatest need is, president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said "we need to score more runs. That's middle of the order-type guys who'll drive in runs.

"We have more hits than the Yankees and Red Sox, but we don't score as many runs. So we need someone to knock them in.

"Some of that will come with youngsters gaining experience, but we need people in the middle of the lineup to go with Cabrera, knocking in runs."

In the same WDFN interview, when talking about young players, Dombrowski said "Who knows, you look at Will Rhymes or Scott Sizemore and they might be your second baseman for years. You just can't tell.

"I feel comfortable going into next year at second base with what we have at this point -- with Rhymes and Sizemore. We're in pretty solid shape when you talk about having those guys.

"For us, we need to find bats at the corners to go along with Cabrera -- guys who can drive in some big runs."

From The Detroit News: Jeremy Bonderman: I'd like to return to Tigers next season | detnews.com | The Detroit News

This is what I expected. The future of a lot of the current Tigers depends on what positions the new 3 and 5 batters play.

Dombrowski gets candid

The interesting part of that quote is who he didn't mention at 2B going into 2011 - Carlos Guillen. But Dombrowski being comfortable giving 2B to Rhymes or Sizmore next year and Leyland sharing that same comfort could be quite different.

He said..KNOCKING IN RUNS!!!!!!!!!!

If you believe that means Crawford you're not listening.."we have more hits than the Yankees and Red Sox"..Crawford gets hits, he doesn't knock in runs.

This means that he will aggressively pursue:

1. Dunn

2. Werth

3. Pitching

4. Pitching

5. Relief Pitching

6. Relief Pitching

7. More Pitching

8. Pitching

9. Lots more Pitching

10. Shortstop

"Who knows, you look at Will Rhymes or Scott Sizemore and they might be your second baseman for years. You just can't tell.

He kind of condradicts himself with these two comments. "You just can't tell" "we're in pretty solid shape".

Dombrowski's Dilemma: 2011 Payroll Mathematics - Bless You Boys

not sure what thread to put this in since we're up to 3, at least, on this topic.

I thought that article blew..to many parts move for that to be off value..people get traded..they have numerous guys who will be MLB min, plus 3 year arbs..in ENGLISH cheap..the rest was mirrors and maybe's..stop counting other peoples money..

It's not a sure thing that the Tigers will be big spenders in free agency just because so much money is coming off the books. Sheffield's contract came off the books and who did we sign? Everett and Laird? I guess that money was well spent. I would rather go with young players than to bring in proven bad hitters. As for Bonderman? If he comes with a cheap contract, go for it. But nothing long term at this point. One year, 6 million? Too much?

He's just talking.... I think sometimes we, myself included, get too wrapped up in trying to decipher what he says for hidden messages. I don't think he has a grand plan in place and he's trying to tease us by giving a sneak peek.

Everett and Laird? I guess that money was well spent.

It actually was well spent for 2009. Both of those players helped them get to game 163 with their defense last year.

It actually was well spent for 2009. Both of those players helped them get to game 163 with their defense last year.

That's one way to look at it. But we were on the hook for the Shef contract in '09 and we weren't this year. And we still signed these proven non-hitters.

Another way to look at it is if would have signed better offensive hitters (or even one at either position) we may have won the division without even having to play game 163 in 2009. We'll never know I guess.

He's just talking.... I think sometimes we, myself included, get too wrapped up in trying to decipher what he says for hidden messages. I don't think he has a grand plan in place and he's trying to tease us by giving a sneak peek.

Hiden messages..huh..

Personally he says what he means and then does it..the body of work regarding acquisitions is there for all to see..

When people show you who they are..believe them..

He said..KNOCKING IN RUNS!!!!!!!!!!

If you believe that means Crawford you're not listening.."we have more hits than the Yankees and Red Sox"..Crawford gets hits, he doesn't knock in runs.

This means that he will aggressively pursue:

1. Dunn

2. Werth

3. Pitching

4. Pitching

5. Relief Pitching

6. Relief Pitching

7. More Pitching

8. Pitching

9. Lots more Pitching

10. Shortstop

What the hell is going on sportz...I was just about to post something very similar to this. If he wants knocking in runs he isn't looking at Crawford...not to mention I don't even WANT Crawford.

He is coming off a career year and his price will be jacked up due to Yankees/Red Soxs getting in on the bidding. Get Dunn, get Werth, and possibly make a trade for a Stephen Drew type. Sign a Lilly type at a one year contract a la Vazquez but cheaper...and get one of Crain or Guerrier.

Jackson - CF

Drew - SS

Werth - LF (4/52)

Cabrera - 1B

Dunn - DH (4/55)

Boesch (or David DeJesus would be nice) - RF

Peralta - 3B

Rhymes/Sizemore - 2B

Avila - C

With that line-up we have solid hittings 1-8, possibly even 1-9 and the team would be able to defend quite well.

Werth = 4 years 52 million...(averages 13M)

Dunn = 4 years 45 million...(averages 11.25M)

Peralta = 1 year at 7 million

Drew = 3rd year arbitration eligible

Crain/Guerrier = 3 years at 13 million (averages 4.3)

Lilly = 1 year at 9 million

You end up adding 49 million or so...

Edited by EchO

You guys know that there will be other teams bidding for these players too?

I doubt Dunn leaves the national league. Crawford is a pipe dream, especially if the Yankees want him. Lilly will cost more than 1 year at 9 million. Drew would have to be a trade.

Look at the Tigers' pattern on free agents: massively overspend (Pudge and Maggs) or just mildly overspend on guys no one else really wants (Damon). Or trade away your top assets for a quality player (Cabrera and, to a lesser extent, Sheffield).

Oh, and massively overspend to re-sign your average players (Bonderman, Robertson, Sheffield).

Dunn ain't comin. Crawford ain't comin. Lee ain't comin.

I'm ready for Inge at third next season on another 3 year $20 million contract. Peralta to be starting at short with Iorg or Worth backing up. Rhymes and Sizemore will be battling it out for the second base job. Guillen will start at DH.

If we get a pitcher, it will be some hard throwing lefty reliever, and possibly a soft throwing lefty starter like Lilly for three years and 30 million. I don't see too many trades, but you never know.

What the hell is going on sportz...I was just about to post something very similar to this. If he wants knocking in runs he isn't looking at Crawford...not to mention I don't even WANT Crawford.

He is coming off a career year and his price will be jacked up due to Yankees/Red Soxs getting in on the bidding. Get Dunn, get Werth, and possibly make a trade for a Stephen Drew type. Sign a Lilly type at a one year contract a la Vazquez but cheaper...and get one of Crain or Guerrier.

Jackson - CF

Drew - SS

Werth - LF (4/52)

Cabrera - 1B

Dunn - DH (4/55)

Boesch (or David DeJesus would be nice) - RF

Peralta - 3B

Rhymes/Sizemore - 2B

Avila - C

With that line-up we have solid hittings 1-8, possibly even 1-9 and the team would be able to defend quite well.

Werth = 4 years 52 million...(averages 13M)

Dunn = 4 years 45 million...(averages 11.25M)

Peralta = 1 year at 7 million

Drew = 3rd year arbitration eligible

Crain/Guerrier = 3 years at 13 million (averages 4.3)

Lilly = 1 year at 9 million

You end up adding 49 million or so...

We are on the same wave length Echo....except, I'd rather keep prospects and let Santiago take over SS. If we do in fact get Werth and Dunn, that will be enough pop in the lineup. Put Santiago at the bottom of the order and lets roll!

I also like the Lilly and Guerrier signing....a lot.

That's one way to look at it. But we were on the hook for the Shef contract in '09 and we weren't this year. And we still signed these proven non-hitters.

The team was still on the hook for Robertson, Willia and Bonderman in 2010 though. All freeing up Sheffield's money did was enable the team to get Damon and Valverde, and they still had to deal Granderosn and Jackson to make that happen.

Another way to look at it is if would have signed better offensive hitters (or even one at either position) we may have won the division without even having to play game 163 in 2009. We'll never know I guess.

My way of looking at it is if Sheffield not been on the books for 2009, the Tigers could have signed either Abreu or Dunn, and they would have won the division. Both of those guys signed for just $5M in 2009, IIRC.

The three-year deal for Sheff still pisses me off. That should have been a two-year deal tops.