MK

Lions trade TE Gronkowski to Denver for CB Alphonso Smith

smith is a former second round pick in 09 out of wake forest, don't know If he was a bust out in Denver or a change of system because it seems we got him for nothing

saw the news on Adam Schefters Twitter account

Almost everything I've seen from Denver's side has called Smith a bust. Honestly, I don't care, because we traded a guy who probably wasn't making the team anyways for a guy who was a second rounder last year. Minimum risk for a guy who is still young, helps us out in an area of need & potentially could still end up shedding the "bust" tag.

That is a great trade. Get a possible something for nothing.

I have no idea what Denver is thinking in anything they do. McDaniels will be out of there in two years when Denver is picking first in the draft.

So Ernie Sims and Dan Gronkowski essentially got us Tony Scheffler, Alphonso Smith and a 7th round pick.

Good Deal.

I liked Gronk too...but TE is probably our deepest position and I liked Smith coming out last year, good instincts and ball skills, he's just undersized.

I have no idea what Denver is thinking in anything they do. McDaniels will be out of there in two years when Denver is picking first in the draft.

I'm with you, man. The Broncos have been a great franchise for years, with a system that produced player after player that overperformed for them and underperformed for everyone else. That's what having a good understanding of your system, and being able to identify players who can succeed in it, will get you. Their new braintrust seems to be in the process of Millenizing that team.

Meanwhile, I like the moves we make. There's a certain logic afoot in Detroit. Smith may be a bust here as well, but we really didn't need 4 TEs, and he's apparently worth taking a chance on.

I have no idea what Denver is thinking in anything they do.

I like this trade too... and it is a win for both teams, who each got something for nothing. Denver had planned on cutting Smith and Detroit is deep enough at TE to take a chance on a guy like Smith, which may actually improve the weakest area of the team. Win win.

Gronk is a pass catching TE, they just gave us Scheffler. The first round pick Denver gave up for 2nd rd pick Alphonso Smith? Earl Thomas. McDaniels (and his pals) is in over his head.

Broncos fan here, in 3 years this trade will be nothing more than an after thought, A.Smith is very bad last week getting burnt by javon walker for 100 yards in the 4th preseason game...thing is you guys call this a bad move by denver, its smart because smith was going to get cut...broncos Deepest position is CB with Champ,goodman,cox,sydquan and nate jones...no need for a bust like smith...cut ties with him and move on with players that are clearly better than him...love how people that don't really follow the broncos close try to criticize every thing josh Mcdaniles does. Funny lions fans talking trash when you guys have won what...2 games in the last 2 years???? Really..

Funny lions fans talking trash when you guys have won what...2 games in the last 2 years???? Really..

Give me a break! Move on... they aren't just talking trash, they're analyzing a trade. Sorry your feelings were hurt in the process.

Broncos fan here, in 3 years this trade will be nothing more than an after thought, A.Smith is very bad last week getting burnt by javon walker for 100 yards in the 4th preseason game...thing is you guys call this a bad move by denver, its smart because smith was going to get cut...broncos Deepest position is CB with Champ,goodman,cox,sydquan and nate jones...no need for a bust like smith...cut ties with him and move on with players that are clearly better than him...love how people that don't really follow the broncos close try to criticize every thing josh Mcdaniles does. Funny lions fans talking trash when you guys have won what...2 games in the last 2 years???? Really..

The one thing denver has going for it is that it's in the worst division in the AFC. that being said, I think they'll finish last.

Nobody's talking **** about Denver, they're a great organization. But I think they made a mistake in McDaniels and that he's done nothing for that team but get rid of talent (while not collecting any through the draft) since he got there. Last year's start was a fluke and they were found out pretty quickly after that.

So what do they do this year? Trade up to get Tim Tebow and got rid of their best player by trading Brandon Marshall. They've done nothing to address the defense and their best pass rusher is out indefinitely. The Broncos are in real trouble, IMO.

Oh, I'm sorry. That was a great move by Denver. Trade a 2010 first round pick (Earl Thomas) for a 2009 2nd round pick, then trade that 2nd round pick in 2010 for a former 7th round pick and a future 7th rounder. Do I have that right? I'll try not to criticize the Broncos any more. You do realize I am faster than Sydslow? Smith isn't the fastest player (4.5ish), nor is he big, but he was a good college player, yet dump him after one year? Nice trade.

Maybe we just have a tad more experience than you guys do with coaches/front offices who like to get rid of talented players in favor of "their" players. Maybe Smith is as bad as you say, and McDaniels knows what he's doing, but it looks awfully familiar from where I'm sitting. Check back with us in a few years and let us know how it went.

Broncos had planned to cut Alphonso Smith anyway | MLive.com

ALLEN PARK - After talking to some contacts in Denver, Detroit Lions fans should temper their enthusiasm about Detroit acquiring Broncos cornerback Alphonso Smith.

By all accounts, Smith has been a monumental bust in Denver. The Broncos traded a first-round pick last year so they could trade up and acquire Smith in the second round. He never came close to fulfilling his potential and rarely played. Smith wasn't expected to play much at all this year either because he didn't show any significant improvement. The Broncos, who bolstered their secondary in this year's draft, were so down on Smith that they were expected to cut him.

The good news is that the Lions really didn't give up anything in the trade because they were planning to cut tight end Dan Gronkowski anyway. The Lions probably made the deal because they didn't want the Rams (the only team ahead of Detroit in the waiver process) to claim Smith if he was indeed cut.

I really do like these type of trades, Mayhew has been pretty impressive and active so far. I like taking chances on young guys with potential for basically nothing. Lawrence Jackson and now this trade, low risk high reward. If you try it 10 times and 1 guy pans out, you've been successful.

Even if Smith were cut, there would have been no guarantee the Lions would have been able to sign him as a free agent without the trade.

Both teams gave up something they didn't value for something they value at least somewhat.

Cornerbacks tend to take some time to develop. I don't know if he'll fulfill his potential, but I find it hard to believe that they didn't give him a little more time.

What I like about Smith is that he had 21 int's in college, which is a prett big number. He's a lot like Dre Bly when he was younger.

You do realize I am faster than Sydslow?

There you go again lol. At least he plays fast. I also think he had an injury during the time he was running but not positive.

Let's not vilify Lions CB Alphonso Smith | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Detroit — Let's not do it this time. Let's not do what we always seem to do, and by "we" I mean fans and media. Let's not vilify a guy, let's not brand him a dog, after one bad performance.

Let's not turn Alphonso Smith into the butt of every Lions' joke. Let's not make him this year's poster-child for the annual ineptitude of this football team.

For goodness sakes, let's not make him out to be Jeff Backus, who fosters more ignorant and unwarranted and unrelenting abuse from fans than any athlete I can remember in my 30 years covering sports in Detroit. And yes I remember Tim Cheveldae and, if you want to go way back, Milt Plum (Google it).

I never will understand why Backus is the lightning rod for all the frustration. You talk to any scout, any defensive coordinator, any opposing coach in the NFL and they will tell you that Backus is an average NFL lineman. He's not great but he's a long way from horrible.

Yet, here, where he's started 155 straight games since being drafted in 2001, he's more reviled than Matt Millen. Ridiculous.

Let's not do that to Smith.

Yes, he had a horrible game Thursday. He was beaten badly on two touchdown passes. He missed a tackle on a third and was run over in semi-cartoon fashion on a fourth.

But that game should not define him. He is 25 and in his second NFL season. He is not a great cornerback yet. He is not a consistently good cornerback, yet. But this is a tough game and cornerback is the toughest defensive position to play.

Young cornerbacks are going to have bad games and growing pains. There are only a few exceptions to that rule — Charles Woodson and Darrelle Revis, to name the first two that came into my head.

Smith has a chance to be an excellent corner. There is no denying his talent (he had five interceptions in his first six starts with the Lions). He has all the measurables you look for in a starting cornerback — speed, athleticism, instincts, nose for the ball — which is why the Broncos traded up to the second round to draft him in 2009.

It also is why defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham graded him so high that year and pressed general manager Martin Mayhew to trade for him in September.

Smith also has some immeasurables. He has shown, from the day he got here, strength of character and a sense of accountability. He blamed nobody but himself for his struggles in Denver. He vowed he would learn from it and become a better person and a better player.

By all accounts he's done that.

And there he was again after his nightmare game Thursday, standing up, taking responsibility and vowing to learn from it. He apologized to the fans, to his teammates, to the organization. He offered no excuses, only assurances that he'd not repeat the mistakes.

"I'm going to let this go as soon as I walk out of this locker room and get to my wife and my family," Smith said. "Just going to make sure by next Sunday that I fix the problems that I have, which is not physical. It's all growing up, maturing a little bit. I let an entire city down and my teammates."

He wasn't out there goofing around. He was out there trying too hard to make big plays. For one of the few times in his life, he was playing on a national stage and he wanted desperately to stand out, to do something special, maybe get a chance to dance on national television.

The problem was, he went outside the structure of the defense to do it.

"I was doing my own thing," he said. "I was not coached to do that. I've never been coached to do that. It was something that I guess was selfish of me. It something I did on my own and it hurt our team."

Understand that Smith is an extremely intelligent player. He studies film like a coordinator. He memorizes opponents' routes and tendencies and he uses that to anticipate plays. That's part of the reason he has five interceptions.

It's also part of the reason he gets burned, because teams alter their tendencies and routes constantly.

He made a grave mistake trying to freelance against an offensive as clever as New England's and against a quarterback as brilliant as Tom Brady.

They certainly knew Smith liked to cheat and jump routes. They knew he was an over-zealous ballhawk. And they exploited it. A smart quarterback can use his eyes, ball fakes, all kinds of deceptive tactics to yank a young defensive back out of his coverage. Nobody does it better than Brady.

It was a brutal lesson but let's give Smith a chance to process it and overcome it. His talent, his potential, his intelligence and his strength of character earn him at least that.

With Chris Houston and Smith, the Lions may have their cornerbacks of the future. In an otherwise lost season, let's not lose sight of that. Let's not run this young, promising player out of here just yet.

chris.mccosky@detnews.com

From The Detroit News: Let's not vilify Lions CB Alphonso Smith | detnews.com | The Detroit News