OJYAYO

White Sox going all-in on Manny

Manny & Ozzie - 2 crazy bastards in ChiTown !!

What's going to happen when Mannywood doesn't

hustle out a infield hit at 1st base ??

That'll be a great video clip to watch !:happy:

Umm. The White Sox aren't getting him.

Manny has to pass through the entire NL first. He's only owed $1.1 M in salary plus $3.3 deferred. Seems like a bargain for just about any team in the hunt. I could see the Giants, Padres or Braves putting in a claim. Or anyone else if they have an OF injury.

Not gonna happen.

If he gets through the NL, I would like the Tigers to claim him just to F with KW.

Tigers should totally claim for 2 reasons:

1. to block him from Chicago

2. to put him in LF for the last month. Hey, it's manny. He's fun to watch. and still good.

Watching Manny is like watching the animals at the zoo. Raul Mondesi was the same way. I remember being at a game where he called over someone he knew, his wife, gf, or mistress or whatever, and she brought him a popsicle. He stood there eating it between innings, instead of warming up iwth the centerfielder. It was running down his hand, he used his wristband. Then he handed it back to her, half eaten, and trotted out to RF.

I haven't heard Raul Mondesi name in a long time. The difference between Mondesi and Ramirez is Manny is good.

2. to put him in LF for the last month. Hey, it's manny. He's fun to watch. and still good.

the tigers have an outside shot at getting back in this thing, so i could see why they'd want to block the move.

Seems like each of the 3 contenders has had a torrid stretch at some point and it may just be the kitties are having theirs right now. I think the twinkies are cooling off and the White Sox are sputtering along in 2nd gear. Worse, their bullpen is unraveling with injuries to putz and thornton.

With our luck Manny would ok the move to the Tigers and we'd have to put up with his antics. I'm not sure Detroit fans would want to deal with that.

Watching Manny is like watching the animals at the zoo. Raul Mondesi was the same way. I remember being at a game where he called over someone he knew, his wife, gf, or mistress or whatever, and she brought him a popsicle. He stood there eating it between innings, instead of warming up iwth the centerfielder. It was running down his hand, he used his wristband. Then he handed it back to her, half eaten, and trotted out to RF.

That reminds my about a time I took a hotdog and beer out to LF with me in a softball game. Apparently the other team didn't like that. But I was hingry and my buzz was wearing off.

I wouldn't really need another reason to dislike the White Socks, nor do I really need another reason to dislike Manny. If this happens, though, I think I could muster up some more dislike for both parties.

Don't worry they will sign him next yr :P

LOL at the White Socks.

Written by Morosi.

It's time for Manny Ramirez to step up for the Chicago White Sox - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

In his last act as a Los Angeles Dodger, Manny Ramirez lived down to his reputation for disrespectful, immature behavior. On Sunday, he was ejected after arguing a called strike on the lone pitch of his only at-bat.

Within hours of Ramirez’s all-too-predictable exit, the baseball world learned that he was bound for the Chicago White Sox.

Great news for Manny, right? Here was his latest — maybe final — chance at reputation salvation. Hop on the next flight, say how excited you are to play in Chicago, get in the lineup as quickly as possible and gap a few doubles.

Instead, we’re still waiting for the New Manny to make his grand entrance.

The White Sox have played two games since Ramirez officially joined the organization on Monday. He didn’t appear in either of them.

He showed little urgency, reporting to the White Sox nearly 48 hours after the Dodgers decided to part with him.

Despite attending high school in New York and conducting English interviews throughout his career, he insisted on a Spanish interpreter for his introductory news conference after he finally arrived in Cleveland on Tuesday. He wore Oakley sunglasses — with a MP3 player attached — in the basement-like interview room, while answering the first couple questions.

And when a reporter asked if he intended to cut his hair to conform to the White Sox appearance policy, Ramirez dismissed the question as “stupid” and said he’s only worried about playing baseball.

On Tuesday, Manny being Manny meant more of the same, tired attitude.

A bad sign, even if the White Sox didn’t seem to care.

“Off-the-field things are not my problem,” manager Ozzie Guillen declared. “I worry about the production.”

Uh-oh. Manny hasn’t even taken his first White Sox at-bat, and the team is already covering for him. We figured Guillen would need to pacify Ramirez at some point — just like Terry Francona, just like Joe Torre — but would it be the worst thing if he acted like a hardliner for a day or two?

Maybe until Manny, you know, gets a base hit?

OK, full disclosure here: I wrote Monday that acquiring Ramirez was a “perfect move” for the White Sox. I still believe that. The acquisition makes sense. For all his antics Tuesday, he can and will hit.

It’s just that, for the time being, fans in Chicago have a right to be concerned about Manny’s public indifference. His performance before the cameras Tuesday was on par with boxer James Toney in the octagon.

Fortunately, the White Sox aren’t paying him $4 million to give speeches. But they have to wonder if they will truly get their money’s worth. Because the White Sox are off Thursday, Ramirez will appear in one game during his first four days as a Jerry Reinsdorf employee.

Ramirez arrived at the ballpark several hours before the first pitch on Tuesday but still didn’t play. He did, however, meet with Guillen. He told his manager that he was “willing to do what you want to do.”

But ...

“I didn’t like the way he said it,” Guillen said.

So, he sat.

Manny nearly entered as a pinch hitter in the ninth. He even moved into the on-deck circle. But a three-run home run by A.J. Pierzynski meant Manny’s services wouldn’t be needed. So, it was another day off for the big guy, who has had 13 official at-bats in the major leagues since June 29.

Here’s my question: If Manny was really, truly eager to join the White Sox, then why didn’t he dig into his own deep pockets and charter a flight to Cleveland on Sunday night?

By then, it was a foregone conclusion that he would join the White Sox. And a private jet for Ramirez — who earns roughly $100,000 per day — is a venti coffee for the rest of us.

Who knows? The White Sox may have even reimbursed him for the cost.

The point is that — with a pennant race going on — a little hustle would have been a nice touch. Instead, he took an early-morning commercial flight Tuesday, leaving him supposedly too weary to play.

When asked why Manny was held out of Tuesday’s lineup, Ozzie replied, “My call.” But was it really? With Ramirez already this deep in his passive-aggressive playbook?

Manny made a spectacle of himself during his first day in a White Sox uniform, and it was hard to tell if the reason was diabolical or something more benign. He hasn’t spoken to the media all season, and he wasn’t about to make it easy on us just because he changed teams.

He requested an interpreter just moments before the news conference began, leaving bench coach Joey Cora as one of the few available options. Frankly, the task of translating for Ramirez — who has spoken fluent English for years — is beneath Cora, an intelligent baseball man who could easily be a major-league manager at this time next year. But there was Cora on the dais, telling us that Manny wouldn’t explain Sunday’s ejection because “the past is the past.”

(Maybe I’m not giving Manny enough credit. He studied McGwire.)

The issue isn’t that Ramirez would rather catch an Aroldis Chapman bullpen session than take questions from the media. Affability has nothing to do with hitting a baseball. It’s just that — as someone who believes the White Sox were wise to acquire him — I would have rather seen more sincerity from Ramirez during his first day on the job.

Take the dreadlocks, for example. Manny, of course, is entitled to the hairstyle of his choosing. But now he works for an owner (Reinsdorf) who has a rule about keeping a neat-and-clean appearance. A little trim would have been a good gesture. In fact, a barber was on site at Progressive Field on Tuesday. But no.

And there was no nudge from the manager’s office.

“That’s Jerry’s problem,” Guillen said. “I don’t know if he called (Manny) or not. That’s not in my rules. As a manager, I would appreciate he do that. But if Manny don’t want to do it, the only power I have is to bench him. Well, we brought Manny here to play.

“If I was Manny, I’d try to make the chairman happy. But the only thing I worry about (with) Manny is to make sure he’s there on time and drive in some runs.”

With his latest team, Manny is skipping right over the honeymoon period and going straight to the coddle-me stage. As long as he hits, no one will care.

But it’s been 73 days since his last home run. It’s about damn time that Manny Ramirez do something.

Yeah, all the Chicago sportswriters declared war on Manny, too. Rather than focusing on his 2010 line of .311/.405/.510 in one of the toughest hitting environments in baseball, and how almost all his teammates love him and think he's a great guy, they instead focus on how his hair breaks some White Sox grooming rule, how his "performance in front of the camera (seriously?), and how he happened to show up too late to start his first game in a White Sox uniform. They haven't had a guy to rake over the coals constantly since Milton Bradley, and they're salivating at the prospect.

And now this bozo? Morosi's whining that Manny didn't proactively spring $100 grand of his own money for a charter plane to get to Chicago a day earlier? And how Manny hasn't hit a "damn" home run in 73 days, when he's been hurt for most of that time? Of course, Morosi fails to mention that in the 16 games Manny could play unhurt in the 73 days since his last homer, he hit .366/.490/.463 in 51 plate appearances. You know, because that might partially undermine Morosi's self-anointed right to his moral high horse.

God, I just hate sportswriters like this guy. Such unctuous holier-than-thou pricks. **** 'em all.

Stop being so vague and tell us how you really feel, Chas. :classic:

Manny can't expect any quarter from these guys after he's been on a complete media boycott all season. He's refused every interview request and hasn't answered as much as a since post-game question since spring training. One can't expect writers to do him any favors if he's going to cut access and be so difficult with them.

I wonder why Manny's refused interview requests? My guess is he's sick of being written about in the way he has been. And writers write these things about him because he refuses interview requests. I'm sure it goes round and round, but it had to start somewhere. I wonder where?

Look, I hear where you're coming from on this, but just because I understand how it goes doesn't mean I can't hate it. And I hate reading this kind of tripe written by that kind of douchebag. To me, it reflects much worse on the writer than on the player. I understand many fans don't agree with me on this and take their cues to hate players like Manny from what they read. That's their right, I guess, but I think those fans are being played for suckers. Why should fans care whether Manny grants interview requests or not? That's the writer's problem. But then, some fans let writers form their opinions for them. So I guess it never ends, does it?

[/rant]

Edited by chasfh

I understand many fans don't agree with me on this and take their cues to hate players like Manny from what they read. That's their right, I guess, but I think those fans are being played for suckers. Why should fans care whether Manny grants interview requests or not? That's the writer's problem. But then, some fans let writers form their opinions for them. So I guess it never ends, does it?

[/rant]

I wouldn't say that everyone who dislikes Manny does so because they're told to by the media.

I usually don't care about personalties at all but Ramirez comes across as a jerk who does not care about the game. I get the impression he doesn't even want to play anymore. I'll never forget watching a game earlier this season. Someone hit a routine fly ball in his vicinity and he didn't even attempt to catch it. He just stood there. I've never seen a player do that before.

I wouldn't say that everyone who dislikes Manny does so because they're told to by the media.

I usually think just the opposite of how the baseball media tells me to think.

I understand many fans don't agree with me on this and take their cues to hate players like Manny from what they read. That's their right, I guess, but I think those fans are being played for suckers. Why should fans care whether Manny grants interview requests or not? That's the writer's problem. But then, some fans let writers form their opinions for them. So I guess it never ends, does it?

[/rant]

I'm pretty sure most fans do agree with you. People aren't the sheep you make them out to be.

And knowing what I do about Manny, I don't think he reads very much. This is the guy who left 3 paychecks, not stubs, checks, in his glove box in Cleveland. And he'd send the bat boys out to get Burger King and give the kid 3 $100 bills because he had no concept of what things cost.

People don't like Manny because he's a dog on the field. They do not need a sports writer to tell them that.