OJYAYO

Johnny Damon claimed off waivers - Says, "I'm not going."

2 days for the Tigers to make a deal or simply let him go to dump his remaining salary.

Tonight's lineup:

Jackson 8, Rhymes 4, Damon dh, Cabrera 3, Raburn 7, Peralta 6, Inge 5, Wells 9, Laird 2.

From MLBTR:

Johnny Damon Claimed By Unknown Team

By Tim Dierkes [August 23 at 1:00pm CST]

1:00pm: Damon has been claimed by an unknown team, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The Tigers now have two days to make a trade with the claiming team, hand the player over with no return, or pull him back. SI's Jon Heyman tweets that he believes the Tigers would be willing to dump Damon for salary relief if a deal cannot be reached.

11:16am: Tigers left fielder and designated hitter Johnny Damon was placed on waivers on Thursday, so the window to make a claim closes today. Damon explained the situation to MLB.com's Jason Beck on Friday:

"I know they would probably like to keep me, but if this is a way they can possibly save a little bit of money this year and get a prospect, then that's something they have to do."

Damon's open attitude implies that he might not block a trade, even though he hopes to re-sign with the Tigers. Of his $8MM salary, about $1.8MM remains. Damon, 36, predictably saw his power slip with the switch from Yankee Stadium to Comerica Park. He's hitting .270/.355/.409 on the season and has logged only 268 innings in the outfield.

Damon hasn't been great, but we've seen varying returns in August moves. Jim Edmonds and Derrek Lee brought useful players back, while Cody Ross and Jose Guillen did not. Damon profiles as a Type B free agent, but I can't envision the Tigers offering arbitration. The Tigers could dump Damon's contract on a claiming club, or eat some money and try to get a useful player back.

Six American League contenders remain: the Yankees, Rays, Red Sox, Twins, White Sox, and Rangers. Lance Berkman's ankle injury frees up the Yankees' DH spot; would they bring Damon back given the offseason drama? The Rays and Red Sox could block the Yanks, and both clubs could use him. Damon back in the AL East would be an intriguing storyline. The Rangers, with Nelson Cruz out, could consider Damon. The White Sox might be content to use Mark Kotsay and Mark Teahen at DH, while the Twins don't look like a fit.

In the National League I think we can safely cross off the Giants as a Damon possibility, leaving the Braves, Phillies, Reds, Cardinals, and Padres as remaining contenders. Would the Braves want Damon in the left field picture? The Reds probably wouldn't add Damon after getting Edmonds. The Cardinals sent Ryan Ludwick to the Padres, though the Friars could still find room after losing Tony Gwynn. The Phillies don't seem to have a need for Damon.

The American League certainly seems a better fit for Damon. Hopefully we'll find out today whether any teams risked claims.

Jon Heyman tweets that he believes the Tigers would be willing to dump Damon for salary relief

Am I the only one that .. this .. doesn't make much sense?

Am I the only one that .. this .. doesn't make much sense?

It's not just you. I read that too, it doesn't make any sense. How much money would we save? About a million dollars?

Damon, I think, is only a Type B free agent; which doesn't net a team much if they offer arbitration and the player declines.

Tigers are no doubt willing to let both Damon and, if any team claims him, Inge go to the claiming team without even getting the customary PTBNL in return.

More likely the claiming teams want to talk turkey and get the Tigers to pick up some of the player's remaining salary and in exchange the claiming team will upgrade the PTBNL from a prospect with a 1 in 10,000 shot at making the majors to one with a 1 in 9,999 shot at making it.

This is all about dumping salary for the Tigers. Inge and Damon are both owed over a million $'s for the rest of this season. Any team claiming a player off waivers is automagically on the hook for the player's remaining salary, unless they can get the player's former team to chip in.

well its a free million dollars towards a player next season that they didnt have to spend this season.

I don't know how Ilitch sets up his budget for the Tigers, but I suspect it doesn't work like that.

Damon, I think, is only a Type B free agent; which doesn't net a team much...

Really? How do you think we got Nick Castellanos.

Tigers left fielder and designated hitter Johnny Damon was placed on waivers on Thursday, so the window to make a claim closes today.

So, by implication, nobody has claimed Inge yet?

I don't know how Ilitch sets up his budget for the Tigers, but I suspect it doesn't work like that.

a million dollars is a million dollars when they know they are going nowhere this year.

Keep him and sign him up for next year too. they won't get anything of value in trade at this point.

So, by implication, nobody has claimed Inge yet?

I think Rosenthal said last week that there were teams likely to claim him. Nothing offcial yet.

Keep him and sign him up for next year too. they won't get anything of value in trade at this point.

You never know...The indians got the Yankees #5 prospect for Austin Kearns this weekend.

The Red Sox claimed Johnny Damon off waivers from the Tigers, tweets SI's Jon Heyman. The next question is whether the Tigers will work out a trade with the Sox (Damon can veto a deal), dump Damon on them for nothing, or pull him back. Of Damon's $8MM salary, about $1.8MM remains. Heyman opined earlier today that he believes the Tigers would let Damon go if a deal cannot be worked out.

Red Sox Claim Johnny Damon: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Damon, I think, is only a Type B free agent; which doesn't net a team much if they offer arbitration and the player declines.

Tigers are no doubt willing to let both Damon and, if any team claims him, Inge go to the claiming team without even getting the customary PTBNL in return.

More likely the claiming teams want to talk turkey and get the Tigers to pick up some of the player's remaining salary and in exchange the claiming team will upgrade the PTBNL from a prospect with a 1 in 10,000 shot at making the majors to one with a 1 in 9,999 shot at making it.

This is all about dumping salary for the Tigers. Inge and Damon are both owed over a million $'s for the rest of this season. Any team claiming a player off waivers is automagically on the hook for the player's remaining salary, unless they can get the player's former team to chip in.

Him being a Type B is the only reason to even consider offering him arbitration. It makes it more likely another team would sign him which makes it more likely he would decline arbitration and the Tigers would get a pick. If he was a type A player and the signing team lost a pick, there is virtually no chance he would get signed if he declined arbitration.

Type B is probably better b/c there's less chance he accepts. It wouldn't shock me if a lot of the lip service coming from Damon lately is a Boras attempt to avoid an arbitration offer.

Type B is probably better b/c there's less chance he accepts. It wouldn't shock me if a lot of the lip service coming from Damon lately is a Boras attempt to avoid an arbitration offer.

My thoughts exactly. If the Tigers would actually be ok with Damon for around $8 mil for 2011, there would be no reason not to offer. I don't think he would get a raise next season after this seasons performance. If he declines, you get a comp pick.

If Boston wants him, they'll have to give a decent prospect .. or else just keep him and offer him arbitration.

This should be a win/win for Detroit.

Have no problem letting Damon go at this point.

Outside of blocking, have no clue why Boston would want him though.

appropos of nothing ------ the Red Sox fans would crucify him.

Damon pretty much burned that bridge himself.

I'd ship him to the Red Sox for an A-ball prospect. Win-win, because Damon goes to a team still in contention. Tigers could always re-sign him next season if desired.