Motor City Sonics

If Leyland Goes, who would you like to see as manager in 2011

Where are the reports that Leyland's job is in danger? :confused:

As with any conspiracy, lack of evidence is the best proof of its pervasiveness.

Dombrowski is always closest to a move when he is saying the least....:paranoid::ponder:

Where are the reports that Leyland's job is in danger? :confused:

Do you really need a report? Do you know who has the worst record in MLB since the All-Star break?

As with any conspiracy, lack of evidence is the best proof of its pervasiveness.

Dombrowski is always closest to a move when he is saying the least....:paranoid::ponder:

G2, you have a sharp quill for sarcasm...

I think you need only look at the Annus mirabilis of 1989 in Eastern Europe for how this may go down.

For Jimmy's sake i hope it isn't like how it happened in Romania.

It doesn't matter who the manager is, you're not going to see more SB's if you don't have the players to do it. By the way the AL is averaging more SB attempts than the NL - 97-90 - and has so the last few years.

Leyland already sac bunts right at the league average with 27. Last year I think he was second in Sacs in the AL for the season.

How does a manager control how many sac flys are hit?

Yeah, average is Leylands MO. He is not an aggressive manager. And sac flys are about plate approach, with runners on 3rd our guys are just swinging away hoping for something. Choke up and put the ball in play. Players can learn to hit sac flys, its a skill like any other part of baseball.

And our roster is chalk full of players who should be sac bunting. Turn them into Vance Wilson, that guy could lay down a bunt.

Do you really need a report? Do you know who has the worst record in MLB since the All-Star break?

He wasn't fired after 2008 after finishing in last place when the team had World Series expectations. I just don't see why Leyland needs to be fired after all the injuries and the modest expectations coming into this season.

He wasn't fired after 2008 after finishing in last place when the team had World Series expectations. I just don't see why Leyland needs to be fired after all the injuries and the modest expectations coming into this season.

Seriously, if you can't see how he has done a horrific job managing this team, fine .. I won't argue.

But it's how he specific MANAGES situations, that's why he should be fired. Small things that add up...

Someone who plays better players over favorites.

Someone who doesn't deal with player problems in the media.

Someone who doesn't wear out a reliever's arm.

Someone who doesn't play ridiculous matchups.

Someone who isn't afraid to give good runners the green light.

Someone who knows the value of a bunt.

Someone who will let Verlander throw 120 a game.

Someone who doesn't think that the second baseman must bat second.

Someone who doesn't make me want to puke looking at them.

...for an example. Oh, and these are all 100% true!

Edited by JonBenke

If I may be so bold, I'd add this to the list:

Someone who preaches patience at the plate and to actually work a count.

That is an organization issue -- clearly plate discipline is not something that is stressed at any level of our minor league system.

Damn the injuries, his game to game managing this season is brutal. He has done just a terrible job this season.

Cioe spelled it out perfectly.

That is an organization issue...

This is a ridiculous excuse.

So what, Leyland can't take Boesch aside and tell him to take a few pitches before hacking away?

Someone who leaves their pitcher in when he's thrown 83 pitches in 7.1+ innings with 7ks and 6 hits, who just gave up two lame bloop singles to put men on 1st and 2nd while winning 2-0. And if they do make a horrible mistake like that, not to bring in a guy with an ERA nearing 5.

MLB - Detroit Tigers/Los Angeles Angels Box Score Tuesday May 27, 2008 - Yahoo! Sports

That was the day I was convinced Leyland had let the game of baseball pass him by.

Larry Parrish, Phil Garner, Luis Pujuls, or Alan Trammell would all be fine choices.

I'm going to assume that statment is going to be sarcastic, otherwise, I was about to say...do you really want to travel down "that road" again? lol

Also: you forgot about buddy bell...although I think he's retired

I'm going to assume that statment is going to be sarcastic, otherwise, I was about to say...do you really want to travel down "that road" again? lol

Also: you forgot about buddy bell...although I think he's retired

Yeah, it wasn't serious, although it was a bad trip down memory lane, lol.

Someone who leaves their pitcher in when he's thrown 83 pitches in 7.1+ innings with 7ks and 6 hits, who just gave up two lame bloop singles to put men on 1st and 2nd while winning 2-0. And if they do make a horrible mistake like that, not to bring in a guy with an ERA nearing 5.

MLB - Detroit Tigers/Los Angeles Angels Box Score Tuesday May 27, 2008 - Yahoo! Sports

That was the day I was convinced Leyland had let the game of baseball pass him by.

I remember that one. "I needed someone with a wipeout pitch." So he went to Cruceta, who, in his defense, did strike out some awful, no-plate discipline righty, and then predictably failed after that. The whole time I was thinking: Bonderman's slider is a wipeout pitch.

Seriously, if you can't see how he has done a horrific job managing this team, fine .. I won't argue.

It's how he MANAGES situations, that's why he should be fired. Small things that add up...

...for an example. Oh, and these are all 100% true!

Who are the better players Leyland isn't playing? :confused:

I really don't think his handling of players with the media is an issue since Leyland is widely regarded as a great players manager and his biggest strength

What relievers is he wearing out? Everyone complains when he brings in Brad Thomas or pitches Valverde in non save situations, so all those innings would need to be spread around to other relievers.

His lineups leave a bit to be desired. I thought he over played matchups. Like bringing in lefties to face righties when the lefty is a worse hitter than the righty.

Whose a good runner on the team? :confused: There's no one on the team with true base stealing ability. Jackson is about the best the team has.

Leyland does tend to bunt more than desired, but when you are forced to play guys like Everett and Santiago, what can you do?

The knock on Leyland is he pitched Verlander too much. In fact, didn't someone start a thread about Verlander's abuse rating?

Since Polanco left, he hasn't really batted a 2B second. Guillen and Sizemore didn't bat 2nd.

I don't spend my time gazing at Leyland so I can't address that one.

This is a ridiculous excuse.

So what, Leyland can't take Boesch aside and tell him to take a few pitches before hacking away?

You think because Boesch doesn't do it, mean Leyland and the staff haven't tried to get through to him? :confused:

Someone who not afraid to get his team "fired" up before a game...and tell his team the truth if they played really crappy.

Leyland may do this more than we know.....I remember he did it publicly in '06 right before we started on our torrid winning spree.

You think because Boesch doesn't do it, mean Leyland and the staff haven't tried to get through to him? :confused:

Considering he keeps going up there and hacking at the first pitch, second pitch ... yea!!

Oh, and since Leyland said he wasn't going to talk to him... Searching for the link now, but ... yea!!

I fear that once we tear down the king we shall face a period of post-revolutionary terror that will last until the man on a horse arrives to sort things out. The Bolsheviks killed millions in this period.

I fear that once we tear down the king we shall face a period of post-revolutionary terror that will last until the man on a horse arrives to sort things out. The Bolsheviks killed millions in this period.

Yea, there's a reason not to fire him ........... wow.