Mark The Shark

Inge says he's ready to return "now"

Remember the 4-6 weeks Brandon Inge was going to miss?

It's going to be less.

Two weeks after going on the disabled list, Inge is taking batting practice and, just as important, can squeeze his glove without pain.

Advertisement

"I've got some persuading to do," he said Tuesday about how fast he's healing. "Maybe with cigarettes."

That's a light-hearted reference to what it will take to convince manager Jim Leyland that Inge can return substantially before the trainers initially thought.

But it might not take much persuading.

"Surprisingly good," Inge said about how his hand felt while he took 50-60 swings Monday.

Inge broke his left hand when he was hit by a pitch against Texas on July 19 at Comerica Park. He is eligible to come of the disabled Wednesday, and while it won't be thatsoon, it will be sooner rather than later.

"It feels like when you have a bruise and a little mild aching after," he said. "As long as I don't have any sharp pain, it's fine."

When asked when he thinks he'll be able to play, Inge smiled.

"Me? I'd say now.

"Them? I'm not sure."

Good news. Then again, you get the feeling that Inge could lose a leg and claim to be ready to play the next week.

Tigers' Brandon Inge on target for early return | detnews.com | The Detroit News

So Inge is going to return soon....this begs a couple of questions...

- Who will be sent down to Toledo (please DD make it be Don Kelly PLEASE)?

- Where will Peralta play?

I definitely see some parallels between him and the dark knight in Monty Python's the Holy Grail.

I never thought I'd be desperate to get Inge back in the fold. He is excellent depth.

So Inge is going to return soon....this begs a couple of questions...

- Who will be sent down to Toledo (please DD make it be Don Kelly PLEASE)?

- Where will Peralta play?

Peralta to DH, Damon LF

In the past he has played hurt and it has hurt the team. I hope he's really ready to return when he does, but I'm skeptical.

Nice!

Almost begs for a photoshop, but I don't have the skills.

More likely Peralta to SS.

Isn't Peralta's defense at SS Renteria-ish and / or Cruz-ish?

More likely Peralta to SS.

A middle infield of Guillen/Peralta would be scary, but I think you are right.

If this happens I'd say our strategy of "run prevention" has been succeeded by "run production" to some degree.

If I were Rick Porcello, and I started a game with Guillen/Peralta in the middle infield, I think I'd just cut out the middle man and turn and throw the ball into the outfield and not bother with all the silly batters hitting ground balls that no one will catch thing..

Rob

If I were Rick Porcello, and I started a game with Guillen/Peralta in the middle infield, I think I'd just cut out the middle man and turn and throw the ball into the outfield and not bother with all the silly batters hitting ground balls that no one will catch thing..

Rob

Rick's problem is the balls that are going over the fence. No fielder can help with those.

I hope the Tigers play Peralta at SS just so everyone can see that he sucks and we can move past the idea of him being a regular shortstop next season

Inge could also inflate his waiver trade value a bit also. I'm sure he'll resign with the Tigers but you could probably get some fodder prospect for him.

The best part about this is when Inge comes back and hits .185 for the rest of the season and everyone uses him "playing hurt" as an excuse and he gets another year to come back and suck.

I think Inge should go to the bullpen when he comes back. Or add him to the rotation; he can't throw any worse than the guys we trotted out there today.

Hell, let him start as the #5 and then you can DH for Laird or Boesch instead.