belcherboy

2010 Michigan football prediction thread

Does Michigan really have any "sure things"?

To you, I doubt it.

To many here, I doubt it. There are some aspects of this team which I fully expect them to excel at.

I think of all the question marks goin' in -- and again, I don't act as if there aren't plenty of these, cause there are, but I also think that while some will surely end badly .. I also think that some will flip to the side of success.

To you, I doubt it.

To many here, I doubt it. There are some aspects of this team which I fully expect them to excel at.

I think of all the question marks goin' in -- and again, I don't act as if there aren't plenty of these, cause there are, but I also think that while some will surely end badly .. I also think that some will flip to the side of success.

I don't disagree. I just see very few sure things. Mike Martin and Van Bergen will produce. Every other player has huge question marks. Some will succeed, some will fail. But I think the sheer number of question marks is worrisome. Not whether the question marks they have will succeed.

I wish we could bet on that. Have you seen Denard throw a football since last year, or are you makin' assumptions? Vincent Smith should be 100% by the start of fall camp, which is huge. Oh, and Michael Cox and Fitzgerald Toussaint are also going to play important roles, so it's not as if they are relying on one single back.

It's cool, I understand that 8-4 is a far cry from the ole ways of Michigan football, but ... hey.

I think we're heading in the right direction.

I only mentioned one side of the ball. The real horror show is Greg Robinson's crew. I've always liked him as a coach but his work is really cut out for him again. Can this defense stop teams from running over, around, and through them at will as happened in nearly every game last season?

I'm not trying to bait here. I honestly don't see where this is a good football team.

Take this same two deep and put Purdue uniforms on them and nobody in the country would predict 8 wins. I'm still sensing some of the entitlement where people believe that these guys will automatically be good because they are Michigan. I thought the last two years would've humbled some but I should know the forum better.

Edited by Hongbit

I don't disagree. I just see very few sure things. Mike Martin and Van Bergen will produce. Every other player has huge question marks. Some will succeed, some will fail. But I think the sheer number of question marks is worrisome. Not whether the question marks they have will succeed.

Oh, I'll agree with this all day long... The amount of question marks is very, very worrisome!

I just get the feeling as if some here assume that all those will end badly, which I can't laugh at harder.

Maybe that's why people think I am drinking kool-aid, though I am far from calling this a contender for anything .. I'm not. I just think we might be able to compete in a weak Big Ten, that's all. That's all I want right now.

I need more information on the QB situation, obviously, though I really like our stable of RBs, even if Bonghit does not .. I do, and I love our offensive line, and love hearing that Molk is 100% and ready to go. I think Schilling has a chance of becoming a decent NFL prospect at G, and love our young rotation, and actually depth -- FINALLY -- on the offensive line. I like our slot receivers, and our defensive line could go from good to great, which would go far in helping the rest of the defense, which looks okay to dreadful, though there are players that could step up. I like Craig Roh, there's no doubt about it .. kid is up to 240/250, and still has that motor on him, so I can't wait to see how his season goes... I am nervous about the LBs, but am hopeful Robinson, now the LB coach, can get something going there. So many questions ... I agree, but again, some will go bad to horrid, which is why we won't be a great team, but enough can go good .. and thus, we can be a decent team.

I just hope to be a competitive team in a very weak conference

Oh, and by the way ... Ohio State is going undefeated ... there, that's my first real prediction of the year.

Edited by JonBenke

I'm not trying to bait here. I honestly don't see where this is a good football team.

See, I think we have differing opinions of what a good football team is.

I think we can compete in a very weak Big Ten, minus one game .. against Ohio State.

I thought the last two years would've humbled some but I should know the forum better.

It has. I have yet to pick my poison, so to speak. I need more info before I make a prediction on how this season will go. Again, I just think we look at things differently. I think that you honestly believe that I think this team will compete for a Big Ten Championship, when that is far from accurate. I do like the direction though...

See, I think we have differing opinions of what a good football team is.

IMHO, 8 wins in a BCS conference is a good football team.

Edited by Hongbit

Heres the thing with Michigan this season. They have a lot of questions marks but I also think they have a lot of bright spots. This is not a team that is going to compete for a Big Ten Title, but 8-4 is not out of the question. If you look at the schedule, theres only 1 game I see on it as a no brainer that Michigan cant win and thats ohio state. However Michigan usually will play Ohio State tough.

UConn - Not a very good run defense, could be exploited by Denard Robinson and the Michigan running game, which should actually be very good this year. UConns strength is also running the football, Michigan has a solid D Line and wasnt all that bad at stopping runs between the tackles last year.

@ Notre Dame - This is a tough game, especially since its a road game. But look, Notre Dame lost almost its entire offenses skill players and is ushering in a New Coach. I know Kelly is a good coach but Notre Dame is going to be a very beatable team this year.

Mass - Win

Bowling Green - Win

@ Indiana - You cant take anything for granted in Big Ten play but Indiana will not be a very good football team this year. No reason to think Michigan cannot beat them.

MSU - To me this is the most important game of the year. I think having this game at home is a big plus for Michigan. This game should be just as evenly matched as last year and could go either way.

Iowa - Michigan almost beat Iowa on the road last year and this year gets them in the Big House this year. The Reason Michigan has a good shot at beating Iowa is Iowa has a lot of problems with Michigans speed and running game, expect more of the same this year, should be a tight ball game.

@ Penn State - Any time you go into happy valley its going to be a tough game. However consider that Penn State is definetly going to be on a rebound year this year. As of right now, nobody even knows who the QB is going to be, or half of the O-Line. Beating Penn State in Penn State is hard, but definetly possible this year.

Illinois - This team is going to be flat out bad this year. Not only were they bad last year when they had the talent that was supposed to make them good, they lost all that experienced talent.

@ Purdue - Big time trap game for Michigan, should be a tight one that goes either way.

Wisconsin - The only thing that saves this from being a No brainer pick is that its in Ann Arbor. If Michigan is going to win this game it will probably have to be a shootout.

@ Ohio State - This is the no brainer game. Ohio State might be the best team in the country, and its in Columbus. However I wouldn't expect Michigan to lay down and die.

The bottom line to me is, outside 1 or 2 games Michigan has a good shot in all of their games this year. Its not like any team on their schedule is way above and beyond them at this point.

Michigan should show big improvement on offense this year. Whichever QB is getting the majority of the snaps will be a more experienced QB and turnovers should be lower this year. Which means better field position which helps the defense.

@ Purdue - Big time trap game for Michigan

This is not a trap game. They have plenty of motivation heading into this game, trust me.

And Purdue doesn't?

Did I say they didn't? No, I didn't. I was specifically responding to his calling the Purdue game a trap game.

I was doing that, right?

He said...

@ Purdue - Big time trap game for Michigan

I then said...

This is not a trap game. They have plenty of motivation heading into this game, trust me.

What in that do you not understand?

UConn - Not a very good run defense

If you believe this then you are going to be pretty surprised by what you see on September 4th. UConn may not have a ton of girth in its front seven, but those guys are athletes. Scott Lutrus and Lawrence Wilson are one of the best linebacker tandems in the country and Kendall Reyes and Twyon Martin have great athleticism at defensive tackle. Michigan isn't exactly a power running team, so I think UConn matches up with them really well.

If UConn has an achilles heel, its the safeties. Jerome Junior wasn't very good last year as a redshirt freshman at SS and we lost a three-year starter at FS in Robbie Vaughn.

Well, I'll try harder to see if I can't bring my cognitive skills up to your standards...:cheeky:

That said, you know exactly what I'm talking about...You went into some detail in our PM exchange yesterday talking about just how focused Rodriguez is going to have his team for that game specifically, following last year's hullabaloo between RRod and Hope. Actually you typed that RichRod was going to use the motivation from their '09 encounter to run up the count on the Boilers in West Lafayette.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that there are clearly two sides to that "mutually aggrieved" coin.

I just wanted to make sure you understood that there are clearly two sides to that "mutually aggrieved" coin.

I understand that totally, and I totally agree.

Now can you agree with me in saying this is far from a trap game?

"Denard has been out there through the thick and thin and been out there all the time regardless if he's hurting," Woolfolk said. "And Tate, he tries to come out, but he's not as consistent as Denard is. And that's allowed Denard to jump a little bit ahead of Tate and I think that Tate's going to have to do a lot of work to catch back up to Denard in camp this year."

According to Woolfolk, what was once a neck-and-neck race between Forcier and Robinson for the starting quarterback job has begun to tip in Robinson's favor. And a big reason for that, Woolfolk said, is the team's perception of players who don't show up to voluntary workouts.

"I personally have a lack of respect for them," Woolfolk said. "The outlook on them is kind of diseased. Like you don't want to be hanging around those people because they have bad work ethic. But at the same time, it's my role to try to persuade them to come out more."

According to Woolfolk, Forcier hasn't shown up to as many workouts as him and the other seniors feel he should have, and Woolfolk said it's hurting his teammates' perception of their signal caller.

"The only reason he's not really labeled as diseased is because of the way he was able to carry the team last year before we started losing. People still trust him a little bit, but he's starting to lose that trust."

Woolfolk: Forcier's lack of attendance at workouts puts Robinson ahead in QB battle | The Michigan Daily

Gotta give Woolfolk the benefit of the doubt, being a senior, but interesting move here taking this to the media.

Honest question. So is this now the new Michigan football thread, where we throw everything?

My bad, I put it in the wrong thread.

that Robinson is ahead based upon scorched earth Woolfolk's assessment is pretty laughable..Forcier is obviously a self absorbed, player, I have heard that..his teamates think he is a douche, but.. he can pass the football and make plays when he isn't being pursued by 5 guys and playing with 4 injuries.

You know who can't pass ??? Denard Robinson.. lets refer back to this article when they start playing teams who require some execution on 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 11.

that Robinson is ahead based upon scorched earth Woolfolk's assessment is pretty laughable..Forcier is obviously a self absorbed, player, I have heard that..his teamates think he is a douche, but.. he can pass the football and make plays when he isn't being pursued by 5 guys and playing with 4 injuries.

You know who can't pass ??? Denard Robinson.. lets refer back to this article when they start playing teams who require some execution on 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 11.

Tate Forcier isn't a very good passer. Ask the Buckeyes.

Forcier played over Robinson last year because Forcier knew the offense. You could see in the Iowa game that the coaches would much rather play Robinson. You could see in the spring game why they want to.

Michigan's offense is a conservative, option style running offense. They can call it what they want, but it's very conservative. Not a lot of downfield looks. Give Robinson a year under his belt and he'll be just fine.

Robinson's ceiling is exponentially higher than Forcier's. Quite frankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about with Forcier, because he played a good game against a terrible Notre Dame defense? Because he played a good fourth quarter against Michigan State? He wasn't very good outside of those games.

Robinson is the real threat in that offense, not Forcier. Forcier has no speed and no shiftiness. Robinson has both in spades. Sure, he'll make mistakes (but so will Forcier, look at the OSU game), but he'll bust a lot more big plays and be much harder to scheme against.

I don't see why you think Forcier is the answer to anything at Michigan. Robinson is Pat White with sprinter speed.

But Florida is pulling these kids....FROM FLORIDA. It's great that RRod can pull a couple from the state, but he'll never pull enough to BE what Florida is. Michigan will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting because the state of Michigan isn't talented enough (and is losing people at a great rate) to compete with Florida, Texas, California and possibly Ohio.

Fellow, Michigan can pull from Florida, lots of kids want to leave the state, I don't expect them to outdraw Florida in Florida, but they also can pull from California/Texas they always have as well as in big ten country.

I was watching some new show called the glades the other day, the guy was in some black neighborhood interviewing the folks where football was big in Florida. One of the ladies on the show said "I think he should go to Michigan". Michigan is big time nationally, they can be an ultimate power.

I've read a lot that says Forcier's shoulder was hurt from the Indiana game on, so I'm gonna cut him a little slack with his slowing down as the season went along.

But I think the offense is set up for Denard. The WRs don't appear to be great, the O-Line seems to be better run-blocking than pass-blocking, and Denard is probably the best runner on the team. I think they'll both play, but Robinson more than Tate. Let's not forget that Tate practiced a ton more than Denard last season, so I expect a large improvement from Denard, much more than from Tate.

Michigan has had a pipeline to the glades for quite some time.

They still aren't going to get the caliber of player Florida gets.

I think we'll see both QBs, we'll just see Robinson more .. even when Foricer is out there, you'll see Denard.