belcherboy

2010 Michigan football prediction thread

Michigan will never dominate the way U$C did or Florida does.

If they get back to being Michigan again, they might give OSU a run for its money because they'll cut into their recruiting base.

Well, probably not USC (because they cheated), but certainly they can become on par with Florida. Have you seen the athletes Rodriquez is bringing in, and Michigan has had two of the worst years in it's history. I'm pretty confident once they start to win and return to glory, it will only help. Florida wasn't Florida until Steve Spurrier, before that they were just good.

I think it could as long as one of those games is MSU or OSU.

The "RR has to be Ohio State, one of the best teams in the country, in order to save his job" nonsense, is stupid! He'll have to show growth and direction in order to save his job, not beat any one school .. come on!

Stick to knowing State, buddy .. stick to what you know.

Edited by JonBenke

The "RR has to be Ohio State, one of the best teams in the country, in order to save his job" nonsense, is stupid! He'll have to show growth and direction in order to save his job, not beat any one school .. come on!

Stick to knowing State, buddy .. stick to what you know.

I'd read the thread/post again if I were you...

And I'm very comfortable with my knowledge on Michigan football and where RichRod sits in Ann Arbor.

I'd read the thread/post again if I were you...

And I'm very comfortable with my knowledge on Michigan football and where RichRod sits in Ann Arbor.

I don't have to.

And you really shouldn't be.

Well, probably not USC (because they cheated), but certainly they can become on par with Florida. Have you seen the athletes Rodriquez is bringing in, and Michigan has had two of the worst years in it's history. I'm pretty confident once they start to win and return to glory, it will only help. Florida wasn't Florida until Steve Spurrier, before that they were just good.

But Florida is pulling these kids....FROM FLORIDA. It's great that RRod can pull a couple from the state, but he'll never pull enough to BE what Florida is. Michigan will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting because the state of Michigan isn't talented enough (and is losing people at a great rate) to compete with Florida, Texas, California and possibly Ohio.

I have to agree a little with the others, and disagree with you. When you are in your third year, at a major program, and have lost to your main rivals every year you've coached, it becomes MUCH more important that you beat your rival. It does help that he has beaten ND, but I think it is foolish to think that he can continue to lose to both MSU and OSU and it not be threatening to his job. Those games are VERY important to his job security. Michigan is in danger of losing more of their in state recruiting edge if they lose 3 in a row to MSU. Ohio State is less important, as they have a incredible team coming back. MSU has been the little step brother to Michigan in football, and 3 in a row does a lot to change that perception.

Regardless, I still believe that it will probably take 8 wins, with the schedule that Michigan plays this year, for RRod to return next year. If they manage to beat MSU and/or OSU, I think 7 wins can easily do it.

Overall I hope you are right, but I'm not so sure that RRod's job is as iron clad as you do. We'll see if the defense does anything this year! I certainly expect the offense to be finely tuned!

I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the Wolverines will walk all over Bowling Green. The Falcons have beaten better Big 10 teams in the past decade and UM has lost to weaker MAC and 1AA programs...

Of course you are, accuracy isn't a concern and you don't care about UM.

Okay.

Bowling Green isn't a bad team.

Michigan shouldn't get cocky about beating ANYBODY after the last few years.

The "RR has to be Ohio State, one of the best teams in the country, in order to save his job" nonsense, is stupid! He'll have to show growth and direction in order to save his job

I agree, he does not have to beat OSU in 2010 to keep his job. However, I reiterate that I believe that a 6-6 season with a loss to MSU will make it hard to keep him, IMO.

Rob

Losing to OSU alone doesnt cost him his job. It wouldnt be fair to say "you have to beat one of the top teams in the country to keep your job this year". But losing to OSU and MSU and a 5-7 or 6-6 season combined might spell doom.

Has ANY poster submitted that Rodriguez "needed to beat OSU to keep his job."? I mean anyone other than Benke, of course?

Bueller?

I realize at some level it's much easier for some of the Michigan faithful to beat up on the man of straw as opposed to earnestly confronting the issues facing the team, but c'mon guys.

Has ANY poster submitted that Rodriguez "needed to beat OSU to keep his job."? I mean anyone other than Benke, of course?

Bueller?

I realize at some level it's much easier for some of the Michigan faithful to beat up on the man of straw as opposed to earnestly confronting the issues facing the team, but c'mon guys.

I did state that IF he beat OSU, than he would most likely KEEP his job, even if he had a 5 or 6 win season.

Really the ONLY must win I see is MSU, and that is if he wins less than 8 games IMO. 7 wins might get him another year, but I think three losses in a row to MSU will hurt too much for to keep his job at 7 or less wins this season.

Aww, how I can't wait till this season starts. This season is going to quiet all the right people.

Normally, I'd say this is wishful thinking and your team doesn't have anywhere close to the talent to back it up. However, expectations are now at historic low levels for UM football and 8-4 probably does shut up a lot of people. While, I don't think they'll post that number it is certainly doable.

My gut says that Denard's passing and decision making along with big time growing pains from young RB's make RR's final year another sub .500 campaign.

Aww, how I can't wait till this season starts. This season is going to quiet all the right people.

I certainly hope so!! I can't tell you how happy I would be if my prediction was grossly wrong!! :grin:

Just out of curiosity, what was your prediction last season?

Benke, you are looking pretty bad when looking back at the 2009 Michigan football thread.

Again, I love your enthusiasm, but your track record from last year makes you look like a big kool-aid drinker!! Although, perhaps I need to drink a little more Michigan Kool-Aid! Heaven knows I've done it nearly my whole life! (I like living that way better, than the pessimistic way I view Michigan football now)

My gut says that Denard's passing and decision making along with big time growing pains from young RB's make RR's final year another sub .500 campaign.

I wish we could bet on that. Have you seen Denard throw a football since last year, or are you makin' assumptions? Vincent Smith should be 100% by the start of fall camp, which is huge. Oh, and Michael Cox and Fitzgerald Toussaint are also going to play important roles, so it's not as if they are relying on one single back.

It's cool, I understand that 8-4 is a far cry from the ole ways of Michigan football, but ... hey.

I think we're heading in the right direction.

Benke, you are looking pretty bad when looking back at the 2009 Michigan football thread.

Oh, I understand ... believe me, I know where I stand here.

I love your enthusiasm, but your track record from last year makes you look like a big kool-aid drinker!!

I know. And yet, I haven't made out my predictions just yet either... I'm about two/three weeks away.

It should be noted, Michigan has a ton of question marks that could easily go both ways.

Assuming they'll all go to the side of failure is a bit far fetched, that's all I'm saying.