belcherboy

2010 Michigan football prediction thread

Imo, folks are showing a little too much reverence for the 2010 Nittany Lions. Until something positive starts to separate itself at the QB position, that's very much a team in "limbo". Don't get me wrong, a victory in Happy Valley isn't exactly probable, but I wouldn't write it off from the outset. Is that a night game? If so, you may have a better argument than I initially thought.

Sept. 4, 2010 Connecticut (W, 27-23)

Sept. 11, 2010 at Notre Dame (L, 31-24)

Sept. 18, 2010 Massachusetts (W, 49-6)

Sept. 25, 2010 Bowling Green (W, 43-10)

Oct. 2, 2010 at Indiana (W, 33-20 OT)

Oct. 9, 2010 Michigan State (L, 31-21)

Oct. 16, 2010 Iowa (L, 20-13)

Oct. 30, 2010 at Penn State (L, 24-20)

Nov. 6, 2010 Illinois (W, 33-17 Good night Zooker!)

Nov. 13, 2010 at Purdue (L, 31-30)

Nov. 20, 2010 Wisconsin (L, 27-18)

Nov. 27, 2010 at Ohio State (L, 34-14 Good night Richy)

For the most part, I'm where Shelton and Buddha are at. I think you guys have a better shot against PSU than they do; a worse shot @PU...I'd probably mark MSU and IU down a touch marginally too, but not enough to quibble over. Bottom line, UMass, BG and UI should be wins; OSU is a loss, if PSU is in fact a night game it probably is too...Everything else is within' toss-up margin, imo.

if Michigan wins a game by scoring 13 in overtime, I'll be impressed

Edited by Tressel

if Michigan wins a game by scoring 13 in overtime, I'll be impressed

That's just how fast Denard Robinson is. Just when you think the game is over, he scores again.

Not impossible.

That said...Was supposed to be 33-30.

Incidentally kicking game is another area where both MSU and Michigan will probably scuffle around a bit - and it'll probably cost both games at some point.

Edited by lionstigersand...

7 wins (+/- 2 wins)

ND game: likely still up for grabs, heading into the 4th

MSU game: likely still up for grabs, heading into the 4th

OSU game: likely over, heading into the 4th

Home - Uconn W 31-28

Away - Notre Dame W 34-24

Home - UMass W 45-6

Home - Bowling Green W 42-17

Away - Indiana W 38-20

Home - Michigan State W 34-31

Home - Iowa L 27-31

Away - Penn State L 38-34

Home - Illinois W 35-24

Away - Purdue W 34-27

Home - Wisconsin L 30-38

Away - Ohio State L 24-28

8-4(4-4) Rich Rod keeps his job.

Michigan's offense should make plenty of big plays this the year. The main question with them is how turnover prone they're going to be?

Michigan's defense is a complete mystery. They were terrible last year and lost their best player, but otherwise extremely young. I will be pleasantly surprised if they have a league average defense, but am expecting them to be pretty bad again.

I'll go with 8-4. If they do any better than that, then either Robinson doesn't turn the ball over much and is generally unstoppable, or the defense is shockingly improved.

Sept. 4 - UCONN W

Sept. 11 - Notre Dame L

Sept. 18 - UMASS UM W

Sept. 25 - BOWLING GREEN W

Oct. 2 - at Indiana W

Oct. 9 - MICHIGAN STATE L

Oct. 16 - IOWA L

Oct. 30 - at Penn State L

Nov. 6 - ILLINOIS W

Nov. 13 - at Purdue W

Nov. 20 - WISCONSIN L

Nov. 27 - at Ohio State L

6-6 (4-4)

UCONN - W

ND - L --I think M splits their first two games of the season, so I'll predict they lose the one on the road.

UMASS - W

BG - W

IU - W

MSU - L

IOWA - L

PSU - L

ILLINI - W

Purdue - W

WISC - L

OSU - L

6-6. Although the "at Purdue" game is hard for me to predict, in addition to the obvious toss up games.

Regardless of record, I'll predict that M makes a low tier bowl of some sort, but Brandon wants to bring in his own guy, so RR goes.

M makes a low tier bowl of some sort, but Brandon wants to bring in his own guy, so RR goes.

See, I can live with your opinion on how the season goes, but stuff like this just bugs me.

You have no idea ... nathan ... on if Rich Rodriguez is or is not David Brandon's guy or not.

See, I can live with your opinion on how the season goes, but stuff like this just bugs me.

You have no idea ... nathan ... on if Rich Rodriguez is or is not David Brandon's guy or not.

Rich Rod isn't Brandon's guy. He didn't hire him. It doesn't mean that Brandon doesn't like RRod. It wouldn't look bad on him if he fired him, but it would look bad on him if he kept him too long and RRod didn't end up turning the program around.

It's just a prediction, and I happen to agree with it. RRod has to win 8 season games IMO to keep his job (Or beat Ohio State). I don't think 7-5 or worse gets RRod another season.

There isn't any rumblings or rumors out of Ann Arbor that Brandon is anything but 100% supportive of RR.

Until I read/hear otherwise, "predicting" his firing is mere wishful thinking ... it's not going to happen!

There isn't any rumblings or rumors out of Ann Arbor that Brandon is anything but 100% supportive of RR.

Until I read/hear otherwise, "predicting" his firing is mere wishful thinking ... it's not going to happen!

The one thing Brandon was clear about Monday was his support of Rodriguez -something that has not wavered since Brandon officially took over for Bill Martin on March 8. He said then that Rodriguez would be Michigan’s football coach this year.

Brandon can say nothing less than he fully supports his head coach going into a season.

The head coach won't be getting fired right now but here's the proof that Brandon isn't 100% supportive of RR

2008: 3-9

2009: 5-7

It's either ridiculously naiveor amazing spin to equate an AD not publicly lashing out at his disappointing head coach as 100% support. I promise you Jon if RR is under .500 again this year, his firing is absolutely, positively, 100% going to happen.

Edited by Hongbit

I promise you Jon if RR is under .500 again this year, his firing is absolutely, positively, 100% going to happen.

Okay, this I can back 100%, but the idiots who try and spit that 7-4 or 6-6 and no win against Ohio State, one of thee best teams in the entire country, let alone your own conference - gets him fired, makes zero sense!

That won't happen, bank on it.

I'm not going to predict anything. However, I will say, as a 35 year Michigan fan- If Michigan goes 6-6, I hope they go with a different coach.

My reasoning is, after some research, I can't find a single major program in the US in the 35-40 years that has changed coaches, had that coach have 2 or 3 bad seasons to start, then kept that guy around and got back to being a big time college football program *with him* thereafter. Basically, if you can't succeed in 3 years, you're usually out. Not always immediately, but within a year or two. As painful as going through a coaching change will be (and it will be painful, I know that), keeping the guy around for another 2 or 3 years when success is virtually impossible (historically speaking) doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Rob

Edited by RobSk

Who is Nathan?

And David Brandon did not hire RR. Therefore, he is not David Brandon's guy. His wagon is not hitched to RR.

Okay, this I can back 100%, but the idiots who try and spit that 7-4 or 6-6 and no win against Ohio State, one of thee best teams in the entire country, let alone your own conference - gets him fired, makes zero sense!

That won't happen, bank on it.

You're certain that 6-6 has RR continue in his job?

I can't say I'm certain you're wrong, cause I have no more insight into Brandon's mind than anyone else. Again though, I hope you're wrong.

Of course, what I really hope is that we go 8-4, 9-3 this year, win a good bowl, and make all of this irrelevant.

Rob

Once again, benke can't leave well enough alone and now we have ourselves a budding five page pissing match.

I think 6-6 gets him another year.

I think it could as long as one of those games is MSU or OSU. Seeing as how the former certainly could happen but the latter just won't - I guess it's possible. I'm not sure I'd handicap you even money on it though, would you?

That said, imo, go 6-6, dropping both games to OSU and MSU, and I think he'd really be fighting uphill at that point. Add Notre Dame to the list of losses and I think he'd almost certainly be packing.

I'm not going to do scores, but this is how I feel they will do:

UCONN-W (close one)

ND-W (why does everyone think ND will be decent? No Clausen and terrible D. Take Clausen out last year, and Michigan wins by double digits)

UMASS-W

BG-W

Indiana-W

MSU-W (if it was at MSU, I would reconsider reconsidering)

Iowa-L

PSU-L

Illinois-W

Purdue-W (Payback to that douche Hope)

Wisconsin-L

OSU-L (any year this is tough to say)

There is not one game that is a "must win" for RR to keep his job. Just a winning record at the end of the year will do it. Of the 4 L's, Iowa and Wisconsin are most winnable and I could see a win vs. one of them. Of the 8 wins, UCONN and MSU are the biggest tossups. There are some big time stretches where Michigan will have to stand strong. The first two games are crucial, and so are those 3 in a row against MSU, Iowa, and PSU. If Michigan loses 2 or all 3 of those, that Illinois game is a HUGE. Last year's Illinois game was were it all came apart. If they won that one, they have momentum going into Purdue and it is a 6-7 win season easy. The way Michigan responds in the game against Illinois will be just as important this year.

Oh, and Rich Rod will be coming back and his seat will be a little less toasty.

Yea, I'll be happy if they make a bowl this year and keep Rodriquez. His system was so different then the players Michigan had on their team, I don't think this 3rd year and really only two classes being his recruits is enough time. If Rodriquez can somehow survive for a couple more years Michigan will be a real powerhouse on the national stage, not like Carr's Michigan teams, but on the Florida/USC/OSU levels of dominant athleticism year after year.

I think it could as long as one of those games is MSU or OSU. Seeing as how the former certainly could happen but the latter just won't - I guess it's possible. I'm not sure I'd handicap you even money on it though, would you?

That said, imo, go 6-6, dropping both games to OSU and MSU, and I think he'd really be fighting uphill at that point. Add Notre Dame to the list of losses and I think he'd almost certainly be packing.

I don't think Notre Dame is that big of a deal. He's already beaten them. Another loss to OSU at the Horsehoe is to be expected. State is the big game, but if they lose that (and OSU) and he finds 6 wins from the remaining schedule, he might still be ok.

It's hard to tell what type of regime Brandon will run, but Michigan has usually been pretty slow to fire. The only things that get you run out of town as early as RRod are real violations (not the piddly **** that they got accused of, but real stuff like the U$Cs are the Fab Five's of the world) or embarassing the university by pissing on some restaurant in Southfield.

5 wins? Now that may be a bridge too far. Hell, six might too. But for some reason I'm feeling 6 might be ok (I didn't used to). then again, ask me again when they lose another game to the likes of MSU or Purdue.

Yea, I'll be happy if they make a bowl this year and keep Rodriquez. His system was so different then the players Michigan had on their team, I don't think this 3rd year and really only two classes being his recruits is enough time. If Rodriquez can somehow survive for a couple more years Michigan will be a real powerhouse on the national stage, not like Carr's Michigan teams, but on the Florida/USC/OSU levels of dominant athleticism year after year.

Michigan will never dominate the way U$C did or Florida does.

If they get back to being Michigan again, they might give OSU a run for its money because they'll cut into their recruiting base.

I think Michigan has the ability to be atleast close to USC IF RR gets it turned around. Look, RR had West Virginia on the national stage, I have no reason to believe he cant do that at Michigan. I just hope he is given the time.