belcherboy

2010 Michigan football prediction thread

I don't know if this is too early....if it is, just erase it and post it later on!

2010 SCHEDULE

(home games in bold)

Sept. 4 - UCONN (I predict a tight, sloppy game) UM 27 UConn 17

Sept. 11 - Notre Dame (I think ND wins at home) ND 31 UM 24

Sept. 18 - UMASS (Easy win) UM 47 UMass 17

Sept. 25 - BOWLING GREEN (Another easy win) UM 42 BG 17

Oct. 2 - at Indiana (I think this game will be tough) UM 31 IU 24

Oct. 9 - MICHIGAN STATE (I hate to say it, but another UM loss) MSU 27 UM 17

Oct. 16 - IOWA (Iowa should roll, but UM gives them a game) Iowa 31 UM 28

Oct. 30 - at Penn State (PSU rolls) PSU 42 UM 13

Nov. 6 - ILLINOIS (Michigan gets revenge) UM 42 Ill 21

Nov. 13 - at Purdue (Michigan loses on the road) Pur 24 UM 21

Nov. 20 - WISCONSIN (Wisconsin is too much) Wisc 42 UM 38

Nov. 27 - at Ohio State (It's a decent game early on) OSU 42 UM 24

Overall 5-7 (2-6) That should be all over for the RRod era! I do hope my prediction is wrong, but I don't think our defense will stop too many people. I think our offense will roll quite nicely, but it's hard to win when your defense is sketchy and your offense is flashy (meaning turnover prone).

The only shot I give of RRod coming back is if he can win AT least 7 games (I think the magic number is 8) or if he can manage to upset Ohio State. If he can't I think he is cleaning out his desk on Nov 28th or 29th.

Sept. 4 - UCONN UM 34 UConn 23

Sept. 11 - Notre Dame UM 31 ND 27

Sept. 18 - UMASS UM 47 UMass 10

Sept. 25 - BOWLING GREEN UM 39 BG 7

Oct. 2 - at Indiana UM 37 IU 17

Oct. 9 - MICHIGAN STATE UM 27 MSU 24

Oct. 16 - IOWA Iowa 37 UM 17

Oct. 30 - at Penn State PSU 31 UM 10

Nov. 6 - ILLINOIS UM 35 Ill 17

Nov. 13 - at Purdue UM 31 PUR 27

Nov. 20 - WISCONSIN Wisc 38 UM 31

Nov. 27 - at Ohio State OSU 37 UM 13

8-4 (4-4)

Edited by Johnny Mac

At this point, I think Ohio State and Penn State are the only games on the schedule that are unwinnable. Wisconsin and Iowa are very likely to be unwinnable, but they're playing at home and strange things happen at home. Bowling Green and Indiana will be harder than you think. UConn, Notre Dame, State and Purdue are toss ups.

Illinois should be a win. UMass should be an easy win.

I'm still stuck between the optimistic 8-4 and the pessimistic 4-8, but I'm leaning more optimistically at this point.

I have no idea but I think 6.5 wins is a good over/under number. Twist my arm and I take the over.

.6 conn

.5 nd

.9 mass

.8 bg

.5 wisc

.5 Iowa

.6 msu

.7 purdue

.3 psu

.3 osu

.7 ind

.7 ill

7.1 wins

UCONN - W

ND - W

UMASS - W

BG - W

IU - W

MSU - W

IOWA - L

PSU - L

ILLINI - W

Purdue - W

WISC - W

OSU - W

I don't have strong feelings about this team either way, but I don't see any point in predicting they'll suck before they play.

UCONN - W

ND - W

UMASS - W

BG - W

IU - W

MSU - W

IOWA - L

PSU - L

ILLINI - W

Purdue - W

WISC - W

OSU - W

I don't have strong feelings about this team either way, but I don't see any point in predicting they'll suck before they play.

I know what you are saying. I think most people predict for the fun of it, but it isn't very fun predicting your team will fail! After watching the last two years, I just have no confidence in our defense. I hope I'm wrong!

The three key games are UCONN, Michigan State, and Purdue. The rest seem pretty clear, one way or another.

I think most people predict for the fun of it...

I disagree. I think most people predict for the fun of the MTS classic bait and mouse game, which is rather sad.

I don't know enough of the Michigan State football team to act as if I do .. enough so to predict their season.

So ... I won't, and will wish them the best of luck ..... except on Oct. 9th, of course!

I disagree. I think most people predict for the fun of the MTS classic bait and mouse game, which is rather sad.

I don't know enough of the Michigan State football team to act as if I do .. enough so to predict their season.

So ... I won't, and will wish them the best of luck ..... except on Oct. 9th, of course!

Benke! You're just inviting the green and white tweedle dee and tweedle dummer to come over here and talk **** (and then claim they never talk ****)! Let well enough alone!

Benke! You're just inviting the green and white tweedle dee and tweedle dummer to come over here and talk **** (and then claim they never talk ****)! Let well enough alone!

Oh, I am calling it all out before it happens ... sorry.

At this point, I think Ohio State and Penn State are the only games on the schedule that are unwinnable. Wisconsin and Iowa are very likely to be unwinnable, but they're playing at home and strange things happen at home. Bowling Green and Indiana will be harder than you think. UConn, Notre Dame, State and Purdue are toss ups.

Illinois should be a win. UMass should be an easy win.

I'm still stuck between the optimistic 8-4 and the pessimistic 4-8, but I'm leaning more optimistically at this point.

Imo, folks are showing a little too much reverence for the 2010 Nittany Lions. Until something positive starts to separate itself at the QB position, that's very much a team in "limbo". Don't get me wrong, a victory in Happy Valley isn't exactly probable, but I wouldn't write it off from the outset. Is that a night game? If so, you may have a better argument than I initially thought.

Sept. 4, 2010 Connecticut (W, 27-23)

Sept. 11, 2010 at Notre Dame (L, 31-24)

Sept. 18, 2010 Massachusetts (W, 49-6)

Sept. 25, 2010 Bowling Green (W, 43-10)

Oct. 2, 2010 at Indiana (W, 33-20 OT)

Oct. 9, 2010 Michigan State (L, 31-21)

Oct. 16, 2010 Iowa (L, 20-13)

Oct. 30, 2010 at Penn State (L, 24-20)

Nov. 6, 2010 Illinois (W, 33-17 Good night Zooker!)

Nov. 13, 2010 at Purdue (L, 31-30)

Nov. 20, 2010 Wisconsin (L, 27-18)

Nov. 27, 2010 at Ohio State (L, 34-14 Good night Richy)

For the most part, I'm where Shelton and Buddha are at. I think you guys have a better shot against PSU than they do; a worse shot @PU...I'd probably mark MSU and IU down a touch marginally too, but not enough to quibble over. Bottom line, UMass, BG and UI should be wins; OSU is a loss, if PSU is in fact a night game it probably is too...Everything else is within' toss-up margin, imo.

Edited by lionstigersand...

And yet, you know so very little of this team ... but thanks for your contributions.

EDIT - with scores even, nice touch!

It can turn into that, but it is fun to say "I was right"! The only way to accurately say that is if you put it down in advance. I don't know enough about Michigan to give an accurate prediction as their roster has changed SEVERAL times the past 2 years. People coming, going, getting hurt, etc. I still have a bad feeling about this year, but will be watching every game I can get down here in GA, hoping they shock the crap out of me!! :grin:

There are so many questions that need to be answered before I can even try and guess on something like this.

Who is the starting QB, the starting RB, how does Molk look, etc .. and there are many others.

Do they matter -- YES!

LTA basically gave what i would guess to be the vegas line at this point. i'll go with 7-5:

UCONN - W

ND - L

UMASS - W

BG - W

IU - W

MSU - W

IOWA - W

PSU - L

ILLINI - W

Purdue - L

WISC - L

OSU - L

Offense will be good throughout, defense eventually falters due to lack talent/depth.

There are so many questions that need to be answered before I can even try and guess on something like this.

Who is the starting QB, the starting RB, how does Molk look, etc .. and there are many others.

Do they matter -- YES!

i don't think it matters who the QBs are. they'll both play and they'll both be good.

i don't think it matteers who the RBs are. they'll all play and they'll all be mediocre.

i think molk will be fine. the defense will again be the key, but i'm not sure how much we'll know until the season, or maybe even big ten play begins.

i don't think it matteers who the RBs are. they'll all play and they'll all be mediocre.

FALSE

It matteers .. ugh, I mean .. matters.

Sept. 4, 2010 Connecticut: W

Sept. 11, 2010 at Notre Dame: L

Sept. 18, 2010 Massachusetts: W

Sept. 25, 2010 Bowling Green: W

Oct. 2, 2010 at Indiana: W

Oct. 9, 2010 Michigan State: W

Oct. 16, 2010 Iowa: L

Oct. 30, 2010 at Penn State: L

Nov. 6, 2010 Illinois: L

Nov. 13, 2010 at Purdue: L

Nov. 20, 2010 Wisconsin: L

Nov. 27, 2010 at Ohio State: L

W-L: 5-7 (2-6)

The running backs matter but probably matter least of any position.

Yeah, they are amongst a large area of questions I already mentioned.

Imo, folks are showing a little too much reverence for the 2010 Nittany Lions. Until something positive starts to separate itself at the QB position, that's very much a team in "limbo". Don't get me wrong, a victory in Happy Valley isn't exactly probable, but I wouldn't right it off from the outset. Is that a night game? If so, you may have a better argument than I initially thought.

Sept. 4, 2010 Connecticut (W, 27-23)

Sept. 11, 2010 at Notre Dame (L, 31-24)

Sept. 18, 2010 Massachusetts (W, 49-6)

Sept. 25, 2010 Bowling Green (W, 43-10)

Oct. 2, 2010 at Indiana (W, 33-20 OT)

Oct. 9, 2010 Michigan State (L, 31-21)

Oct. 16, 2010 Iowa (L, 20-13)

Oct. 30, 2010 at Penn State (L, 24-20)

Nov. 6, 2010 Illinois (W, 33-17 Good night Zooker!)

Nov. 13, 2010 at Purdue (L, 31-30)

Nov. 20, 2010 Wisconsin (L, 27-18)

Nov. 27, 2010 at Ohio State (L, 34-14 Good night Richy)

For the most part, I'm where Shelton and Buddha are at. I think you guys have a better shot against PSU than they do; a worse shot @PU...I'd probably mark MSU and IU down a touch marginally too, but not enough to quibble over. Bottom line, UMass, BG and UI should be wins; OSU is a loss, if PSU is in fact a night game it probably is too...Everything else is within' toss-up margin, imo.

I think you're showing a little too much reverence to the 2010 Michigan State Spartans.

And yet, you know so very little of this team ... but thanks for your contributions.

EDIT - with scores even, nice touch!

Based upon?

Frankly, I think I know a fair amount about your roster, and its potential for the upcoming season. My personal opinion is that Robinson sees a modest majority of the snaps behind center...The o-line, which lacks known quality depth, will need to remain relatively unscathed if the Wolverine offense wants to continue to progress into the attack Rodriguez envisions.

The defense is going to be a touch shaky. I love Mike Martin, and Roh certainly has some upside...And a B10 team can play plus football with a Ryan VanBergen as well...And there's a lot of young talent behind those players that would certainly lend itself to calling your 'defensive line', that side of the ball's strength. That said, the line-backing core (+ talent is very young) and secondary still leave a fair amount to be desired...It'll also be interesting to see how players like Martin and Roh etc...take to being more of the focus of opposing staff's scouting reports with Graham now playing for pay...

At the end of the day, there's gonna be a lot of pressure on this staff and team, and a whole host of tight match-ups. I'm of the opinion that I'll hold off on giving Rodriguez and his staff the "benefit" of the doubt in many of those toss-up games until I see otherwise. I liked (and find reasonable) Shelton's over-under at 6.5 - I took the under this time around.

I think you're showing a little too much reverence to the 2010 Michigan State Spartans.

But you haven't even seen my season prediction yet...:cheeky:

I do think Michigan State is a touch better than Michigan for 2010. I think it'll be one score game right into the 4th, and I took MSU's experience at some key positions to make the difference.

FTR, I have State going 8-4.

Edited by lionstigersand...

Based upon?

Oh, I never doubted that you knew some broad strokes ... you always do, as does Sportz.

That said, there are so many small things I just don't think you know about.

And I don't even blame you, cause ... this isn't your team. Why would you care?

Based upon?

Frankly, I think I know a fair amount about your roster, and its potential for the upcoming season. My personal opinion is that Robinson sees a modest majority of the snaps behind center...The o-line, which lacks known quality depth, will need to remain relatively unscathed if the Wolverine offense wants to continue to progress into the attack Rodriguez envisions.

The defense is going to be a touch shaky. I love Mike Martin, and Roh certainly has some upside...And a B10 team can play plus football with a Ryan VanBergen as well...And there's a lot of young talent behind those players that would certainly lend itself to calling your 'defensive line', that side of the ball's strength. That said, the line-backing core (+ talent is very young) and secondary still leave a fair amount to be desired...It'll also be interesting to see how players like Martin and Roh etc...take to being more of the focus of opposing staff's scouting reports with Graham now playing for pay...

At the end of the day, there's gonna be a lot of pressure on this staff and team, and a whole host of tight match-ups. I'm of the opinion that I'll hold off on giving Rodriguez and his staff the "benefit" of the doubt in many of those toss-up games until I see otherwise. I liked (and find reasonable) Shelton's over-under at 6.5 - I took the under this time around.

But you haven't even seen my season prediction yet...:cheeky:

I do think Michigan State is a touch better than Michigan for 2010. I think it'll be one score game right into the 4th, and I took MSU's experience at some key positions to make the difference.

FTR, I have State going 8-4.

I think Michigan beats State this year. I'm not really impressed with Dantonio as a game coach. they should have whupped Michigan last year, instead they had to win in OT in a game they easily could have lost. This Michigan team's offense will be (IMO) much better than last year provided that they stay healthy. The defense won't be as good, but it will be serviceable, and they're playing the game in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State could win 8 games this year, but that's because they have a ridiculously easy schedule. probably the easiest schedule in the big ten. Michigan, OTOH, has a very difficult schedule.

I think Michigan beats State this year. I'm not really impressed with Dantonio as a game coach. they should have whupped Michigan last year, instead they had to win in OT in a game they easily could have lost. This Michigan team's offense will be (IMO) much better than last year provided that they stay healthy. The defense won't be as good, but it will be serviceable, and they're playing the game in Ann Arbor.

Michigan State could win 8 games this year, but that's because they have a ridiculously easy schedule. probably the easiest schedule in the big ten. Michigan, OTOH, has a very difficult schedule.

Hard to argue with your perspective on Dantonio's in-game management (frankly, he should be 3-0 against Michigan at this point)...That said, for the most part, MSU was "whupping" Michigan last year for about 52 minutes...Yardage, T.O.P., up 2 scores...Everything looked to be on the up and up (from our perspective)...MSU had done a very nice job getting pressure on both qb's throughout and then certainly seemed to take their foot off the gas on that side of the ball late...But I still find that hard to argue with. You're up 14, occasional driving rain-storm, opposition has a true frosh qb (incidentally Forcier got away with 2 or 3 terrible throws late in that one that should have pounded the proverbial nail...But woulda coulda shoulda.

For all the talk about Michigan's offensive strides and progress last year, it still was pretty bad. It's worth noting that Michigan's offense could make major strides from where it was last year, and still be in the middle of the conference pack. And that's after it made some fair strides from '08 to '09 - which speaks volumes about where that program was in '08. There's no question that they'll get better, the question is degree - and how close it'll come to compensating for the fact that they'll probably comfortably slide into the back half of the B10's defenses again in 2010.

And scheduling is absolutely one of the PRIMARY reasons for 8 MSU wins in 2010.