Glutn4Pnshmnt

Scoring decision

I tried to ask this is the game thread but apparently those threads are just a stream of consiousness with no conversation.

How can 3 runs of a grand slam be earned? I'm assuming they are taking crawford off the bases due to catchers interferance. However if he wasn't on theyn Joyce wouldn't have batted. So it would be 0. I could see all 4 being earned as well. 0 or 4 but no way 3.

Only the runner that got on is unearned. A pitcher can't just go give up 10 more runs and have none of them count...

Well you can't assume that Crawford would have gotten out to make it the 3rd out of the inning. Had it been on a throw to first that Crawford would have been out on, then only one run would have been earned (the guy on 3rd) because you would assume the out at first.

Basically, you pretend Crawford didn't get on base, but that it didn't count as an out. That's why 3 of the runs were earned.

So what do you assume happened to him? If he didn't get on he would have been out, if he didn't get out then he would have been on. 3 is not possible. 0 or 4.

So what do you assume happened to him? If he didn't get on he would have been out, if he didn't get out then he would have been on. 3 is not possible. 0 or 4.

5th inning, 1 out.

Crawford reaches on interference, i.e. an error. You can assume that would be an out, but the only time you can assume that the inning would have been finished cleanly is when the error would have been the third out. That was not the case here.

5th inning, 1 out.

Crawford reaches on interference, i.e. an error. You can assume that would be an out, but the only time you can assume that the inning would have been finished cleanly is when the error would have been the third out. That was not the case here.

You're supposed to recreate the inning. Hard to do with that type of error though. The only way the unearned runs don't continue to add up is if there is a pitching change.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Was that Frank Drebin behind the plate?

I was happy Scherzer grooved a fastball to Joyce on the 3-2 pitch. It was a much better outcome than walking in the run and having the Tigers lose 1-0 but still no-hitting the opponent. Let them hit the ball and see what happens.

Crawford was down 1-2 after the swing and foul but Laird had his glove in Crawford's rear end as the pitch was coming to homeplate...I think Laird was trying to cheat since the Rays had already stolen 3 bases in the game against his Lardbutt.... (well 1 was out but called safe)...so that was a huge play in the game.. it seemed to rattle Scherzer who walked another hitter then gave up the grand slam after falling behind Joyce 3-1.

You're supposed to recreate the inning. Hard to do with that type of error though. The only way the unearned runs don't continue to add up is if there is a pitching change.

Doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. Was that Frank Drebin behind the plate?

You can't recreate it in the general sense of things in that situation. You can only assume the out on a play that would have resulted in an out like an errant throw or a dropped catch. It's a stupid guideline, but you can't assume Crawford is out in that plate appearance but you treat it like he never got on base anyway. It doesn't make sense, I know, but that's what the rulebook says:

10.16 Earned Runs And Runs Allowed

An earned run is a run for which a pitcher is held accountable. In determining earned runs, the official scorer shall reconstruct the inning without the errors (which exclude catcher's interference) and passed balls, giving the benefit of the doubt always to the pitcher in determining which bases would have been reached by runners had there been errorless play. For the purpose of determining earned runs, an intentional base on balls, regardless of the circumstances, shall be construed in exactly the same manner as any other base on balls.

(a) The official scorer shall charge an earned run against a pitcher every time a runner reaches home base by the aid of safe hits, sacrifice bunts, a sacrifice fly, stolen bases, putouts, fielder's choices, bases on balls, hit batters, balks or wild pitches (including a wild pitch on third strike that permits a batter to reach first base) before fielding chances have been offered to put out the offensive team. For the purpose of this rule, a defensive interference penalty shall be construed as a fielding chance. A wild pitch is solely the pitcher's fault and shall contribute to an earned run just as a base on balls or a balk.

Rule 10.16(a) Comment: The following are examples of earned runs charged to a pitcher:

(1) Peter pitches and retires Abel and Baker, the first two batters of an inning. Charlie reaches first base on an error charged to a fielder. Daniel hits a home run. Edward hits a home run. Peter retires Frank to end the inning. Three runs have scored, but no earned runs are charged to Peter, because Charlie should have been the third out of the inning, as reconstructed without the error.

(2) Peter pitches and retires Abel. Baker hits a triple. While pitching to Charlie, Peter throws a wild pitch, allowing Baker to score. Peter retires Daniel and Edward. One run has scored, charged as an earned run to Peter, because the wild pitch contributes to an earned run.

In an inning in which a batter-runner reaches first base on a catcher’s interference, such batter-runner shall not count as an earned run should he subsequently score. The official scorer shall not assume, however, that such batter would have made an out absent the catcher’s interference (unlike, for example, situations in which a batter-runner reaches first base safely because of a fielder’s misplay of a ball for an error). Because such batter never had a chance to complete his time at bat, it is unknown how such batter would have fared absent the catcher’s interference. Compare the following examples:

(3) With two out, Abel reaches first on an error by the shortstop in misplaying a ground ball. Baker hits a home run. Charlie strikes out. Two runs have scored, but none is earned, because Abel’s at-bat should have been the third out of the inning, as reconstructed without the error.

(4) With two out, Abel reaches first on a catcher’s interference. Baker hits a home run. Charlie strikes out. Two runs have scored, but one (Baker’s) is earned, because the official scorer cannot assume that Abel would have made an out to end the inning, absent the catcher’s interference.

(b) No run shall be earned when scored by a runner who reaches first base

(1) on a hit or otherwise after his time at bat is prolonged by a muffed foul fly;

(2) because of interference or obstruction; or

(3) because of any fielding error.

It was a much better outcome than walking in the run and having the Tigers lose 1-0 but still no-hitting the opponent.

Was this a serious comment?

he should have threw the high heat and joyce would have been toast

You can't recreate it in the general sense of things in that situation. You can only assume the out on a play that would have resulted in an out like an errant throw or a dropped catch. It's a stupid guideline, but you can't assume Crawford is out in that plate appearance but you treat it like he never got on base anyway. It doesn't make sense, I know, but that's what the rulebook says:

Thank you.

Was this a serious comment?

If this thread ever gets to 10+ pages, I'm blaming this question :happy:

Earned runs are a stupid stat. Who gives a ****?
Those of us that like to keep it simple give a ****. ERA, BA, HR's RBI's, W-L are the only stats I need. Advanced stats are informative for those who like them but I am not one of them. Does not make me any less of a baseball fan.