Sign in to follow this  
Shinma

Darren McCarty joins 97.1 on-air staff.

Sweet!

Red Wings blog: Ex-Red Wing Darren McCarty joins on-air staff at 97.1-FM | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Former Detroit Red Wing Darren McCarty was hired by sports-oriented radio station 97.1-FM.

McCarty will be a regular contributor to the station and co-host a variety of shows throughout the week.

“I’m thrilled to have former Red Wing Darren McCarty join us at 97.1 The Ticket," said program director Jimmy Powers in a release. "Since his playing days, Darren has remained a resident of the city and is extremely passionate about all of the local teams. McCarty has always been a favorite with the fans, so I’m pleased to have him as a regular contributor."

McCarty has been a hockey analyst for the Versus cable network. He had a long career with the Red Wings, playing with the team in 1993-2004 and again in 2007-09. McCarty, Kirk Maltby and Kris Draper were known as the "Grind Line" for their gritty style of play.

McCarty was a member of the Red Wings Stanley Cup teams in 1997, 1998, 2002 and 2008. He also played two seasons with the Calgary Flames. He retired from the NHL in 2009.

A fan favorite, McCarty was known as an enforcer and for his clutch scoring and passing. His feud with the Colorado Avalanche’s Claude Lemieux culminated in a memorable series of fights during a game at Joe Louis Arena in 1997 and helped elevate the Red Wings-Avalanche rivalry.

McCarty works with several organizations outside of hockey and has a band, The Grinders, which has developed a strong local following.

In 2003, McCarty was awarded the NHL Foundation Award as a part of his work with the McCarty Cancer Foundation, an organization he started in 1997 to honor his father, Craig, who died in 1999.

I disagree. I think he brings a fair amount of knowledge and the perspective of a fan. Maybe in larger doses I won't like him. But I enjoy him on the fill-ins.

I disagree. I think he brings a fair amount of knowledge and the perspective of a fan. Maybe in larger doses I won't like him. But I enjoy him on the fill-ins.

I agree. I thought he was pretty good with Gator earlier in the week.

Agreed as well. Everyday at work if we've got the radio on in the back, it's tuned into 97.1, and when nothings going on I'm back there listening. I'm not even sure I'll have a problem with him with more air time, but we'll see.

Just heard about this ... what a relief. McCarty is a breath of fresh air on there. Jeff Regher's voice just makes me sick. Why does he always sound like someone has him by his Adam's Apple? The guys needs to find another job. His rambling is sickening.

Go Darren!

Agreed as well. Everyday at work if we've got the radio on in the back, it's tuned into 97.1, and when nothings going on I'm back there listening. I'm not even sure I'll have a problem with him with more air time, but we'll see.

I am sure I'll like the the sound of the air he's sucking in between his two front missing teeth.

Oh you discerning sports fans crack me up!:happy:

Just heard about this ... what a relief. McCarty is a breath of fresh air on there. Jeff Regher's voice just makes me sick. Why does he always sound like someone has him by his Adam's Apple? The guys needs to find another job. His rambling is sickening.

Honest to god, that guy actually makes me miss the horrid Sean Baligian. Riger is the absolute worst radio talk host I've ever heard on any radio station anywhere.

I was fine with Valenti for a year, but I've come to basically completely dislike him. Kinda a bummer since 97.1 was my go-to station on the drive home from work for awhile.

Honest to god, that guy actually makes me miss the horrid Sean Baligian. Riger is the absolute worst radio talk host I've ever heard on any radio station anywhere.

Thank you. Is there another Detroit sports radio venue on the airwaves? My problem is I drive to work (SB I-75) towards Pontiac/Rochester starting about 7:30 p.m. and love to zone in on some worthwhile sports talk, including of course, Tiger and Red Wings games, but end up either throwing up or (easier) changing the radio station because of Rehger and 97.1 - The ticket. Anyone having other suggestions please let me know because I'm at the end of my rope!:alien: