Sign in to follow this  
stevieburks

Sparky - Best 2nd Baseman

A friend asked me a trivia question the other day

Who did Sparky Anderson say was the best second baseman he ever saw? I don't know the answer.

Does anyone here know?

It better be Joe Morgan. Unless Sparky was old enough to see Eddie Collins play.

I have heard Sparky say that he thought Lou could have been so much better if he applied himself more. He was trying not to say that Lou dogged it or didn't care but that he didn't think he put as much effort as he could have to being a better player. He came to spring training out of shape, did his business, played well all year long, and that was it. It was just a job to him but he did't have that burning desire to be better like you'd expect an MLB player to have. He had so much natural talent that he didn't have to work as hard to be effective. So it wouldn't surprise me if he answered Lou to this to try to make his point in a roundabout way.

Sparky has a book and in it I want to say he lists his top players he's had at each position. I don't have it, but I know I saw it at a library in Illinois about 12 years ago.

It was not Lou Whitaker or Joe Morgan or Eddie Collins.

None of them played in New York.

If Tram and Lou played for the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles or Mets - they are first ballot hall of famers.

If Tram and Lou played for the Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles or Mets - they are first ballot hall of famers.

Undeniably, 100%, true. Possibly not the Orioles, but the other three teams, there isn't even a debate about their Hall-worthiness. They would simply get enshrined and be considred the best SS-2B duo of all time.

Chris Pittaro? Wait, that was one of Sparky's all-time "third-basemans."

Remember, when Pittaro was gonna be the second baseman and Lou was moving to third and that was "etched in stone"? That idea lasted a whole day.