mr0zip0

2011 Offseason Plan 2.0

I appreciate the effort you made with this post

There is no way in hell this trade happens. Even if you took Johnson out of this offer it wouldnt happen. To net Haren:

A) Guillen will not be in the deal - why would a rebuilding team take him? If the Tigers paid 99% of his salary ala Nate Robertson maybe but its not happening

B) Jacob Turner is your centerpiece but its still not enough

C) Galarraga, Fein and Douglas are not enough to surround Turner with to get this deal done. Galarraga is a AAAA pitcher. He is a #5 stop gap that could be included in a deal while a rebuilding team waits for a Jacob Turner to develop but he is not in the second tier of guys that usually surround the centerpiece of a deal.

Here is an extremely uneducated stab at a trade for Haren

Turner

Oliver

Schlereth

Furbush

Streiby

You are talking about a 29 year old #2 who is locked up to a reasonable contract. You arent getting him for one top prospect and a bunch of garbage.

read my revision where I fix that

Also, why would an NL team take a guy who can't play any position on the field well anymore?

I think your uneducated stab makes more sense than the other trade proposal. Also, FWIW, Furbush was just moved up to Toledo.

Because he'll fill space at 2B until Douglas is ready

and

Read the revision, it makes more sence then that.

Edited by mr0zip0

If mild contenders at Deadline

Tigers Trade

SS Danny Worth

RP Austin Wood

1B James Robbins

Cubs Trade

SS Ryan Theriot

Austin Wood isn't going to be part of a trade package. He's been out most of the season with a shoulder injury.

I do agree that if the Tigers trade for a SS, like Drew from Arizona (as part of a package that includes Haren), Worth will be sent over as part of the deal. I don't know who'd play SS in AZ if Drew is traded, but Worth could pick up some of the playing time for the new team.

OFFSEASON

MANAGEMENT

If 2nd half collapse occurs:

Fire Jim Leyland & Staff. Hire Kirk Gibson & Staff to a 3 year / $2.5MM contract

What if Gibby ends up doing well enough in AZ that management there decides to bring him back?

I think that a more logical choice to replace Leyland might be Tommy Brookens.

He's had success in the minors (.542 winning percentage). He's managed guys like Brennan Boesch, Alex Avlia, Scott Sizemore, Robbie Weinhardt, Danny Worth, Wilkin Ramirez, Casper Wells, Alfredo Figaro, Ryan Strieby, Audy Ciriaco, Charlie Furbush, Duane Below, Cale Iorg, Jared Gayhart, Cody Satterwhite and Thad Weber. Guys who either starting to become part of the Tigers' present or could be a part of the Tigers' future (admitting that there could be a couple longshots toward the end of the list). He might not be a bad choice to lead what becomes a new core.

Brookens could turn out to be one those guys who is better as a manager than he was as a player. Who knows?

RE-SIGNINGS

Tigers re-sign 3B Brandon Inge 2 years / $10MM

I'm on record in another post somewhere around here as saying I think it would be cool if they let Inge go and made a run at Beltre.

Tigers re-sign UTIL Don Kelly 1 year / $400K

Tigers re-sign LF Ryan Raburn 1 year / $400K

I'm not sure these guys will last another season, and I think I'm probably OK with that. I don't know who would come along and fill their roles, but somebody would.

BTW, you had Kelly in your list twice. That made me chuckle. You must really like the dude!

Tigers re-sign RHP Casey Fien 1 year / $400K

Tigers re-sign RHP Zach Miner 1 year / $750K

There will be other arms that will take their places. Maybe Miner will opt for retirement? Maybe he'd get a minor league deal and an invite to Spring Training, so they can see how he does coming back from the injury. I wouldn't count on him for anything in 2011.

Interesting stuff. I think Gibby will suck eggs as a manager though.

honestly, I do too. I'm having problems finding someone to take over for Leyland though.

Where does Furbush rank compared to Oliver as a prospect? Furbish is two years older but when you compare their AA stats, there is not a whole lot of difference.

You can't really compare the two, but Oliver will be considered better because...

A: He's younger

B: He has MLB expeirience.

Edited by mr0zip0

You can't really compare the two, but Oliver will be considered better because...

A: He's younger

B: He's a pitcher

C: He's a lefty

D: He has MLB expeirience.

Furbush is also a pitcher and a lefty.

Austin Wood isn't going to be part of a trade package. He's been out most of the season with a shoulder injury.

I do agree that if the Tigers trade for a SS, like Drew from Arizona (as part of a package that includes Haren), Worth will be sent over as part of the deal. I don't know who'd play SS in AZ if Drew is traded, but Worth could pick up some of the playing time for the new team.

What if Gibby ends up doing well enough in AZ that management there decides to bring him back?

I think that a more logical choice to replace Leyland might be Tommy Brookens.

He's had success in the minors (.542 winning percentage). He's managed guys like Brennan Boesch, Alex Avlia, Scott Sizemore, Robbie Weinhardt, Danny Worth, Wilkin Ramirez, Casper Wells, Alfredo Figaro, Ryan Strieby, Audy Ciriaco, Charlie Furbush, Duane Below, Cale Iorg, Jared Gayhart, Cody Satterwhite and Thad Weber. Guys who either starting to become part of the Tigers' present or could be a part of the Tigers' future (admitting that there could be a couple longshots toward the end of the list). He might not be a bad choice to lead what becomes a new core.

Brookens could turn out to be one those guys who is better as a manager than he was as a player. Who knows?

I'm on record in another post somewhere around here as saying I think it would be cool if they let Inge go and made a run at Beltre.

I'm not sure these guys will last another season, and I think I'm probably OK with that. I don't know who would come along and fill their roles, but somebody would.

BTW, you had Kelly in your list twice. That made me chuckle. You must really like the dude!

There will be other arms that will take their places. Maybe Miner will opt for retirement? Maybe he'd get a minor league deal and an invite to Spring Training, so they can see how he does coming back from the injury. I wouldn't count on him for anything in 2011.

Oh Thanks, I didn't know that and yeah, he's their best 2B/SS prospect.

I think Gibby would accept in Detroit before Arizona because of the home town/team advantage.

After seeing your stats on Brookens though I looked him up and agree that he's be better than Gibby. Good Point.

I also would love that but Beltre would cost more than double of what Inge costs, especially since he's coming from Boston... I'd privatly look at some free agent 3B men and when they all cost too much re-sign Inge.

I don't either. That's why originally I had them both in the minors.

I actually don't like Kelly, but someone told me he should be in majors, so I must have added him again. haha.

Honestly me either. I doubt he'll retire, but you're probably right.

Furbush is also a pitcher and a lefty.

I know. I fixed it. I was getting him and Douglas confused. haha

By now, I've sold you on Brookens, right?

haha, yes you have... When I revise this again I'll include him.

He's saying that other than Sizemore, the players(first year) with the best chance of making the roster are Streiby, Oliver, Furbush,and Douglas.

ok, thanks

manager?? Gibby Manager???

Lock the thread...

Less realism going on in here than a Schrek 4 movie.

Changing it to Tom Brookens

Less likely..than Gibby..and thats happening if H*** freezes over...DD hates him..

Well that's alright because DD will be fired if Leyland is fired :grin:

This thread is a train wreck but somehow better than the first one. Look man, I'm not gonna be a dick, but most of this is pretty far fetched. And, honestly I don't understand the hate Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland get around here. Do you people that complain about them have any recollection of the 14 or so years prior to Dombrowski's arrival? Do Randy Smith, Buddy Bell, Phil Garner, Luis Pujols, ect ring a bell? For the love of God, I actually like being relevant in MLB again and having a shot at making the postseason every year. Do I agree with every single decision Dombrowski and Leyland make? No. But that doesn't mean they aren't doing a good job. The fact is Dombrowski turned this organization around from a perennial laughing stock to a team that has a realistic chance at competing for a playoff spot year in and year out. Leyland is the best manager we've had since Sparky Anderson. Again, not saying a whole lot, but I think Jim is a solid manager. It's as if people forget the years 1988-2005. I know Dombrowski joined the Tigers in 2002, but it only took him a few years to turn a team that was a disaster into a pennant winner. And on the whole, I think Jim Leyland has done a fine job. You don't just go firing people when you don't have a better candidate ready to replace them. 2010 was supposed to be a rebuilding year, and despite that the Tigers are right in the thick of things. Shouldn't Dombrowski and Leyland get some credit for that?

Look man, I'm not gonna be a dick, but most of this is pretty far fetched.

1262240846584.gif

Come up with your own ideas!

We have a winner

Yeah, I was goin' to post this myself, but am too focused on his wanting to get Carl Crawford.

I'd rather upgrade the lineup 6-9 than sign Carl Crawford.