ROMAD1

Sell the House, Sell the Car, Sell the Kids

The number 1 thing the Tigers need to do is get Carlos Guillen out of the lineup. He's become an absolute dead spot. Just pay him to go away like we've had to do several times over the past few years.

All the scenarios mentioned in regards to replacing him at 2nd are better than letting him continue to suck up the joint. While I'm not high on Sizemore, it makes sense to see what he's got.

Edited by PreserveAWin

Hey, trading Damon is actually a darned good idea, although on a three month rental,

I wonder who we could get for him?

I think trading Damon sends the wrong message to fans. Mr I spent money this winter when everyone thought he would cut payroll. Trading Damon is giving up. Give up and people stop coming to the stadium.

There's got to be a solution to the teams woes, but I'll be damned if I know what it is right now. Definitely need to shake up the line-up.

Damon LF

Santiago SS

Miggy 1B

Boesch RF

Maggio DH

Jackson CF

Avila C

???? 3B

Sizemore 2B

I think trading Damon sends the wrong message to fans. Mr I spent money this winter when everyone thought he would cut payroll. Trading Damon is giving up. Give up and people stop coming to the stadium.

There's got to be a solution to the teams woes, but I'll be damned if I know what it is right now. Definitely need to shake up the line-up.

Damon LF

Santiago SS

Miggy 1B

Boesch RF

Maggio DH

Jackson CF

Avila C

???? 3B

Sizemore 2B

I dont get moving Santiago up and sending Jackson down the order. Jackson is hitting .304 with a .357 obp. Santiago is hitting .270 with a .345 obp. Santiago is also hitting .257/.316 in July. Jackson is hitting .283/.367 in July. So not only is Jackson getting on base more for the year, he is also a hotter hitter than Santiago is now.

I don't think trading Valverde is that outlandish of an idea, if we could get a good return on him. He had a dynamite first half and relievers are always at a premium at the deadline. We could get great value for him.

I'm sorry... I went to three games this week, of the four I will see all year.

I wanted to see a couple things

#1 was Valverde close a game... as you know there have been no close situations.

in the last few years we have had a tilt-a-whirl and a roller coaster

don't take Valverde from me

Some levity, Cleavland has beat God's Team two nights in a row.

Teams lose.

We gots LOTS of games left.

The Sox won't continue this pace.

Neither will Detroit.

Nor Minnesota.

EVERYONE chill the **** out.

I'm sorry... I went to three games this week, of the four I will see all year.

I wanted to see a couple things

#1 was Valverde close a game... as you know there have been no close situations.

in the last few years we have had a tilt-a-whirl and a roller coaster

don't take Valverde from me

ps

I do not want to go back to those lose in the ninth because we have no closer days

please don't take Valverde from me

Damon would have great value to the Padres who have gotten almost nothing from LF all year.

Moving Damon would gets Guillen back to DH, Sizemore to 2b, maybe Larish to 3b for a month.

It was supposed to be a rebuilding year...

lordy

bases loaded.. Guillen at the plate

I don't care if he is the DH or second baseman when he grounds into a double play.

please look at his stats, he is not a DH

Teams lose.

Neither will Detroit.

Nor Minnesota.

+10000000000000000000000000000000

The entire thread is my psychic release...seriously...ugly, ugly

WARNING REPOST

This sort of goes with Dennis' post so I'll repost it here (it's also in the 7-21 game thread):

I remembered a hitless streak spreadsheet I made that can be used to figure the probability of a losing streak. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3975850/streak%20calculator.xls

If a team has a 55% chance of winning each game (I know pitching matchups, injuries, Yankees, Orioles, . . .) then they still have a 28% chance of losing 7 in a row some time in a 162 game season.

If a team has a 50% chance of winning each game then they have a 47% chance of having a 7 game losing streak some time in a 162 game season.

This Tiger streak isn't special to me yet. Hopefully it ends before becoming surprising!

In that same thread I also listed the longest losing streak for each AL team.

WARNING REPOST

This sort of goes with Dennis' post so I'll repost it here (it's also in the 7-21 game thread):

I remembered a hitless streak spreadsheet I made that can be used to figure the probability of a losing streak. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3975850/streak%20calculator.xls

If a team has a 55% chance of winning each game (I know pitching matchups, injuries, Yankees, Orioles, . . .) then they still have a 28% chance of losing 7 in a row some time in a 162 game season.

If a team has a 50% chance of winning each game then they have a 47% chance of having a 7 game losing streak some time in a 162 game season.

This Tiger streak isn't special to me yet. Hopefully it ends before becoming surprising!

In that same thread I also listed the longest losing streak for each AL team.

nice

what is the inverse... that is what are the chances a team will win seven in arow

Sell! Sell! Sell!

TradingPlaces_4.jpg

Wow, I just watched that movie today. In fact, I turned off the Tiger game to watch it with my son, since tonight's game wasn't exactly prime entertainment.

"Mortimer, your brother is not well. We'd better call an ambulance."

"**** him. Turn those machines back on. Turn those machines back on!"

Teams lose.

Neither will Detroit.

Nor Minnesota.

Sure if you buy into the fact this team was a true 48-38 team at the break. I dont. They went 15-3 against last place teams at home while they were hot. Thier road record is among the bottom 5 in all of baseball. They arent as good as that 15-3 or the 48-38. Not as bad as the road record either but somewhere inbetween. And with mostly bad starting pitching, horrible mind numbing defense and only a couple hitters in the lineup that actually belong in MLB Id say thier true level is closer to that road record. Dont be fooled by being in the race at the half way point in a crappy division. This isnt a good baseball team.

Sure if you buy into the fact this team was a true 48-38 team at the break. I dont. They went 15-3 against last place teams at home while they were hot. Thier road record is among the bottom 5 in all of baseball. They arent as good as that 15-3 or the 48-38. Not as bad as the road record either but somewhere inbetween. And with mostly bad starting pitching, horrible mind numbing defense and only a couple hitters in the lineup that actually belong in MLB Id say thier true level is closer to that road record. Dont be fooled by being in the race at the half way point in a crappy division. This isnt a good baseball team.

Look..this stuff is goofy, are they as bad as the last week..nope, we they as good as their break record ..nope.

does it matter one single bit?? nope.

You are, what your record says you are...move on.,,there are no takeovers in baseball.

And Chicago is the real deal, right? They will continue on their pace, right?

Detroits 48-38 is fake,

Chicago's 47-39 is real?

All i'm saying is we are in a division that is very Jekyl & Hyde. We're not out of this until someone hits their magic number.

Maggs is doing a poor imitation of a declining RF: he is on pace to have his second best hitting year of the last seven, which includes a year in Chicago. Just sayin' ...
Well that is a convenient time frame for you to choose. Two of those years were lost causes because of injuries. 2006 was his first full year back and he was pretty good.

A 7-year period is a 'convenient' time frame? For a 35 year-old OF? How long of a time-frame is sufficiently long before you would conceed this is one of Magglio's better seasons in his career?

This is Ordonez' 2nd most productive year with the Tigers, bested only by his career season in 2007.

He had an MVP season in 2007 but in 08 and 09 he slipped a bit. This year he is almost back to his 08 production levels which is still good but not worth 15 million for a team with limited resources.

Lynn Henning, is that you?

Teams lose.

Neither will Detroit.

Nor Minnesota.

Ditto.

Sell only if the offer is right. Absolutely do not buy, though.

I agree with this. That leaves only one question. What are the odds of this team going 0-11 since the break?

Selling is not about making the team better but about making the future better. I don't really know that we have anybody to sell. I guess Valverde is an option if we are serious about selling. Damon may be an option. Ordonez would be a great player to sell but his struggles of late make him very hard to deal.

Who is of value ?

Damon

Valverde

Maggilo

Miggy (duck)

I think it resonable to shop the top three. Sell the fourth and it will be a long time before anyone see fans at Conerica again. Realisitcally, I don't see this team stopping this losing streak for at least one more game.

I love how the thread starter thought he had such a profound and interesting idea that he'd enlighten us all with a new thread.

Selling at 3.5 out is what creates legendary PR blunders. Fans are insanely fickle.

The tradind of Damon would only cost the new team 2.66 million. Remember its prorated , we would have already paid him for the first 4 months.