DaYooperASBDT

Jeremy Bonderman Just Ain't Right

My take on Bonderman is that he has hit the proverbial "wall". After so many seasons of inactivity, it might take another year before he can contribute 180 innings or more of quality work, i.e. an entire season.

My take on Bonderman is that he has hit the proverbial "wall". After so many seasons of inactivity, it might take another year before he can contribute 180 innings or more of quality work, i.e. an entire season.

disagree, he's just not very good.

Aren't both Bondo and Zumaya "inverted W"?

You are correct, in addition Zumaya squeezes the **** out of the baseball when he throws and he is not at all fluid with his delivery. When you have a pitcher that is a max effort thrower opposed to a pitcher like Verlander who is very fluid and throws "easy" its not uncommon for the freak injuries we have seem with Zumaya.

Sportz I will agree that he has not been good but I do not think you can say he wont be better after another season of recovery from his injury. That surgery he had is not a common procedure in baseball so the recovery period is not as define as say Tommy John surgery. With Tommy John you know the first year back will not be the best year for the pitcher, it takes almost 2 full seasons to fully recover.

With Bondermans surgery, I believe Kenny Rogers was one of the few that had it before and Rogers at that point in his career did not rely on velocity. With Bondermans age and work ethic I think its possible he will return to the higher velocity, the question is how much money are you will to gamble that will happen. With the market for starting pitching and the lack of options for the Tigers for next season I would try to resign him and slot him as your #5 starter.

Edited by Rob from Canton

But that wouldn't explain his drop in velocity in the second inning. He's not that good because he pitches poorly with men on base. However, when he is healthy, he generally has good K and BB rates and is able to maintain velocity deep into games. When those things get out of whack, I suspect something is wrong other than not being very good.

Rob,

He may have more stamina, but it's difficult to believe he will be better. It's been two seasons it's doubtful his velocity will return to previous levels, his pitchability of earlier this season has melted into the same puddle it typically does.

That's the free agent market for SP ... anyone see anyone they like?

Arroyo and Garland, but neither will wind up in Detroit

I wouldn't have a problem with a cheap deal for Jake Westbrook either.

I like...

Jeremy Bonderman (28)

Nate Robertson (33)

Dontrelle Willis (29)

Wish we had them two years ago...

Four years ago then...

This isn't a shock. I was shocked he even started the season. I think he'll have a future as an Eddie Bonine type player eating mid-innings. I just think that surgery was devastating.

That being said, he or Galarraga will go to the bullpen or be DFA'd when/ if we trade for Lilly.

BTW- Don't tell Benke something is wrong with Inge.

That's the free agent market for SP ... anyone see anyone they like?

Cliff Lee (32)

Jon Garland (31) - $6.75MM mutual option with a $600K buyout

Brett Myers (30) - $8MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout

Brandon Webb (32)

Todd Wellemeyer (32)

Chris Young (32) - $8.5MM club option

Jake Westbrook (33)

Javier Vazquez (34)

I get sad when I think of what Bondo might have been right now if not for that damn injury.

Bonderman, when hes throwing well, will throw harder as the game goes on.

Notice I say throwing. Jeremy has never learned how to pitch. Jeremy is not one of the brightest fellows around.

5-6 with a 4.96 era, pretty much what I expected from him this year

These are my thoughts. He's been no better or no worse than I expected.

Jeremy is not one of the brightest fellows around.

Could we please stop with the "HURR HURR BONDO IS DUM" comments? He has dyslexia, ffs. He's not mentally challenged.

I wouldn't say injury, but dead-arm could be a possibility? Otherwise it's as simple as lack of location.

Yoop..that arms been dead since July 2007

IP - K/BB by month

20 and 2/3 - 17-9

27 - 26-7

39 - 19-8

16 and 1/3 - 8-5

He lost the ability to strike people out about halfway through June

strikeouts in his last 5 starts. He was fine before that, and far better than I think anyone expected. I'm not saying he's definitely injured or anything, but something happened to him. Maybe he's tired, maybe the league just scouted him out, I don't know, but it's pretty misleading to just pretend he doesn't have anything anymore and has been bad all year.

IP - K/BB by month

20 and 2/3 - 17-9

27 - 26-7

39 - 19-8

16 and 1/3 - 8-5

He lost the ability to strike people out about halfway through June

strikeouts in his last 5 starts. He was fine before that, and far better than I think anyone expected. I'm not saying he's definitely injured or anything, but something happened to him. Maybe he's tired, maybe the league just scouted him out, I don't know, but it's pretty misleading to just pretend he doesn't have anything anymore and has been bad all year.

What a blantant misrepresentation of performance.

How bout this.

April 1-1 6.97

May 1-1 1.33

June 2-3 5.08

July 1-1 8.27

Lets summarize almost 4 months into the season. 1 very good month 3 terrible months..6.97 8.27 heck they didn't even count the Cleveland debacle when he coughed up 7 or 8 ER in 3 innings and a lead..

He blows, flat out sucks..he isn't competitive anymore.

If you could delete one of Galarraga or Bonderman from the rotation, who would you get rid of?

For as much as I hate Armando, I think I'd have pick Bonderman.