mr0zip0

Has Jim Leyland's Time Come?

If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell, but I'm satisfied right now
    • Too early to tell, but I'm not satisfied right now

Garbage

What team could lose it's #3 reliever, #3 hole hitter, 2B and 3B, plus have their #2 hole hitter also be out..and not have depth issues..tell me the team who could survive that.

Plus Perry has lost his effectiveness/consistency since his injury

Lets ignore Seay and Minor were toast before the year started..

You guys have all lost your perspective..

No MLB team could play over this many injuries at one time..not one..

Boston even struggled..

Add in the fact Leyland has just been flat out bad..and you get 4-13 after the break.

Garbage back to you, I'm referring to previous seasons. I don't hold this season against Leyland.

Not good..of leon Durham was such a miracle worker, he would have garnered a job long before this.

That's why I ask. It seems to me that all this talk about Durham is either fan talk or there's something deeper than that. I'm all for replacing McClendon, but there doesn't seem to be other options other than Durham even mentioned.

Edited by El Gato Pollo Loco!!

Garbage back to you, I'm referring to previous seasons. I don't hold this season against Leyland.

I don't hold this season against Leyland but I do hold how bad his managing has been. I am sure that most managers would not be able to win with the state of this team. However, he has made some pretty bad calls this year. Whether it is the bullpen or the lineup card he has cost us a few games IMO.

hey..nice interview..what was better..Dickerson or Samara

It's very close but I'm going to do the smart thing and say Samara.

That's why I ask. It seems to me that all this talk about Durham is either fan talk or there's something deeper than that. I'm all for replacing McClendon, but there doesn't seem to be other options other than Durham even mentioned.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

He is the second string QB of the Tigers organization. The fans always love that guy (except in Indy!).

Come on guys.

Using Valverde in the 8th inning and thus spending him in a 6 to 1 game was ridiculous.

Brad Thomas in a high leverage situation when Weinhardt was available?

This has got to be the last season of this.

It's time to move on.

Garbage

What team could lose it's #3 reliever, #3 hole hitter, 2B and 3B, plus have their #2 hole hitter also be out..and not have depth issues..tell me the team who could survive that.

Plus Perry has lost his effectiveness/consistency since his injury

Lets ignore Seay and Minor were toast before the year started..

You guys have all lost your perspective..

No MLB team could play over this many injuries at one time..not one..

Boston even struggled..

Add in the fact Leyland has just been flat out bad..and you get 4-13 after the break.

Garbage back to you. They could have swept the Red Sox this weekend if it hadn't been for mind-boggling decisions by the manager. Austin Jackson wasn't hurt last week in Tampa, why didn't he start? The kid is 22, he doesn't need rest, especially in an air-conditioned dome after he had almost a full week off two weeks earlier.

Injuries have hurt the Tigers sure, but it hasn't been the only reason they are not winning. They are making some of the same bad decisions, the same bad errors and the same lack of hitting with RISP.

Garbage back to you. They could have swept the Red Sox this weekend if it hadn't been for mind-boggling decisions by the manager. Austin Jackson wasn't hurt last week in Tampa, why didn't he start? The kid is 22, he doesn't need rest, especially in an air-conditioned dome after he had almost a full week off two weeks earlier.

Injuries have hurt the Tigers sure, but it hasn't been the only reason they are not winning. They are making some of the same bad decisions, the same bad errors and the same lack of hitting with RISP.

That was part of it..the defenisve incompetence was astounding..the failure to make it 5-0, when they had an easy run on third..they insanity of removing Coke..the inability of Sanitago to field a pop up..the wild throw to first..

The gaffe's were more than just Leyand..it was the quality of play that Leyland tolerates.

Cabrera's work at 1B has been nothing short of horrid, this last month..

We don't execute the bunt well..we aren't aggressive, we miss cutoff's..it's a conglomeration of things..but to not comprehend how deep into our sytem we are..deeper than any solid team could go at once..is ridiculous not to acknowledge.

I'm not a big fan of Leyland, but nobody has given a good reason why Leyland's managing would cause poor second halves. They've pointed out his faults and I agree with some of them. However, nobody has really given a good reason why his managing would produce good first halves and bad second halves. How do we know that firing Leyland will bring an end to the bad second halves if we can't pinpoint the reason for it?

I had a number of theories about this - here are a couple...

1) It's a long season, and JL is a manager that tends to really get into ruts in a serious way. Same calls in the same place in the same situation, same players in the same spots every night. They may be good decisions taken singly, but accumulating over the course of a season they are big time boredom to watch, and much be for the players as well, even if they think they like the quiesence. Contrast that to say Sparky, who always had some scheme to change something up, use or play someone differently, try a play against the odds, walk George Brett everytime up, etc., always something to change it up, and even if they were often harebrained, they kept it alive. Created a little expectation of the unexpected over the course of the year.

3)Another thing I think hurts as the season wears on for JL is that once he works out his field rotations, he is loathe to re-allot playing based on short term performance, or even longer term performance unless the difference is striking, so he undercuts incentive to play better in order to play tomorrow that helps keep players on edge for a long season.

4)It would be interesting to find out if teams that don't carry the extra pitcher have less 2nd half let-down, either because the platoon advantage keeps guys fresher, or just in general because there more guys are fighting for same playing time and you get the choice of one more guys that might be hot that week.

..the inability of Sanitago to field a pop up...

yeah I thought the Santiago drop was pretty bad. It was an interesting comparison that on two balls where they both had a lot of time, the guy with 9 yrs experience did not know/think enough to step to the sun side of the ball before it came down, while the rookie in CF knew to do exactly that. If the extra Thursday day games force guys to remember how to play in the sunshine, they will have been a good thing.

Ok, I'm now firmly in the fire Leyland camp. Not everything in this month has been his fault, but man he has made some crappy calls.

How would somebody like Joe Torre or a Fredi Gonzalez or a Bobby Valentine fit in Detroit?

Ok, I'm now firmly in the fire Leyland camp. Not everything in this month has been his fault, but man he has made some crappy calls.

How would somebody like Joe Torre or a Fredi Gonzalez or a Bobby Valentine fit in Detroit?

I would not care for any of those managers, even though my wife is friends with Bobby.

Dombrowski goes without a doubt with the Leyland decision up to the new lad.

I guess for me, it sums up that leyland is going back on his philosophy about what he "preached" in 2006.

Nice to know it was only for that one year...:confused:

Torre is with the Dodgers next year and then retiring

Joe Torre is old and dumb and picks out a reliever each season to kill his arm.

Fredi Gonzalez is one of the true pieces of **** in the managing game because he calls out players in the media. He's below Ozzie in my book.

Bobby Valentine wears makeup and smiles too much to be any good, plus he seems like a grovelling nancy.

I think Bobby Valentine would be a good manager. Listening to him on Baseball Tonight, I like what he has to say.

Either way, a change is needed, dont really see it happening though.

I guess for me, it sums up that leyland is going back on his philosophy about what he "preached" in 2006.

Nice to know it was only for that one year...:confused:

Refresh my memory, please. What was it that he preached? 2006 seems like it's light years away.

I'm frustrated w/ not only Leyland but DD as well. The fact of the matter is it's hard to think about this team with a level head when they are just stinking up the field. Another bad season in 2011, they gone!

Refresh my memory, please. What was it that he preached? 2006 seems like it's light years away.

He kept reminding them that games last "nine innings" and told them to play with "swagger"

I think Bobby Valentine would be a good manager. Listening to him on Baseball Tonight, I like what he has to say.

Either way, a change is needed, dont really see it happening though.

The chances of DD naming Billy Ray Valentine are much better than Bobby Valentine.

In baseball circles Bobby Valentine is the anti Leyland, a self promoting blowhard.

The only thing Valentine loves more than himself is the camera..players despise him.

It could be different things every year. They had bad second halves under Trammell in 2004 and 2005 too. I don't have time to look it up now but I think it goes back further than that. Maybe it's a coincidence. Maybe it's the ballpark. Maybe it's an organization thing. I don't know.

I thought I read somewhere the second half swoons go back to 2001.

I've defended Leyland but when he let Valverde throw those 60 pitches in Fenway I began to question his sanity. And although I know batting lineups are often overrated as far as who bats where, I'm simply perplexed by his insistance of batting guys like Ryan Raburn and Don Kelly third in the order.

Another thing I'm getting a bit tired of with Leyland is how he acts like it's such a chore to answer simple questions after the games. That's part of his job, yet he throws out these snarky answers to even the most mundane questions.

I guess I'm just in a bad mood after that ridiculous first game. I'm going to have a quick trigger finger on the ol' remote tonight; if we go down 2 runs or more, I think I'm going to curl up with a good movie or something.

I thought I read somewhere the second half swoons go back to 2001.

They do. That's why I don't blame them on Leyland. I think it's probably time for a change, but not because of that.