mr0zip0

Has Jim Leyland's Time Come?

If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell, but I'm satisfied right now
    • Too early to tell, but I'm not satisfied right now

I'd like to see both Leyland and Dombrowski fired (and I've been saying this for a while.) For all the money Ilitch has invested in the Tigers, he deserves better on-field results. Dombrowski has blown the financial resources he's been given by signing players to horrendous contract extensions. And he hasn't improved the Tigers' farm system very much. Their minor league talent is not well-regarded by other clubs (hence the bad Baseball America minor league talent rankings.) And Leyland has presided over teams that annually collapse in the second half (not to mention his terrible in-game strategic decisions.)

I wish we had Maybin and Miller so we would have a great minor league system.

Jim Leyland would be a much better manager if he managed the Yankees.

I'd like to see both Leyland and Dombrowski fired (and I've been saying this for a while.) For all the money Ilitch has invested in the Tigers, he deserves better on-field results. Dombrowski has blown the financial resources he's been given by signing players to horrendous contract extensions. And he hasn't improved the Tigers' farm system very much. Their minor league talent is not well-regarded by other clubs (hence the bad Baseball America minor league talent rankings.) And Leyland has presided over teams that annually collapse in the second half (not to mention his terrible in-game strategic decisions.)

rok..quit while your ahead..your covering ground thats not accurate..you were fine until this post..the farm system stuff..way way way off base..back into the wall..you had a good weekend..take your winnings go to see the csashier and wait for tomorrow night.

I don't think it's fair to judge Leyland based on this year. This wasn't really supposed to be "the" year where a division crown was to be expected. Rather it was supposed to be a treading water type year, where the team was mainly waiting for money to come off the books.

Next year, when that money has opened up and hopefully been spent on bringing in quality talent, is a year when it might be a little more fair to put Leyland on the hotseat.

Too early to tell, but not satisfied was my choice. I've never been happy with the hitting coach, but I'm resigned to the fact that as long as Jim stays, so, too, does Lloyd.

That's what I picked too.

Reasons that I would not fire Leyland if they miss the playoffs:

- I didn't expect them to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season;

- They are in a 3-way heat, so even if I expected them to play this well to-date, it would be unreasonable to demand that they make the playoffs "or else".

The only reasonable way to demand Leyland's head for missing the playoffs, IMHO, is if you expected the team to be better than 48-41 at this point and have a significant lead at the ASB when the season started. If you had these expectations, please raise your hand and explain why, because I don't get it. I didn't see ANYBODY expecting this team to have 50+ wins at the ASB and a nice lead and a division win before the season.

Reasons that I would not fire Leyland if they miss the playoffs:

- I didn't expect them to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season;

- They are in a 3-way heat, so even if I expected them to play this well to-date, it would be unreasonable to demand that they make the playoffs "or else".

The only reasonable way to demand Leyland's head for missing the playoffs, IMHO, is if you expected the team to be better than 48-41 at this point and have a significant lead at the ASB when the season started. If you had these expectations, please raise your hand and explain why, because I don't get it. I didn't see ANYBODY expecting this team to have 50+ wins at the ASB and a nice lead and a division win before the season.

Interesting points, but I don't think it's just this year that he would be fired for...

I posted those records of 1st half to 2nd half earlier... You can't win divisions like that!

Leyland's time has come? Damn those cigarettes, anyway!

I think he'll grow gills and breath like a fish.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

Leyland's time has come? Damn those cigarettes, anyway!

I think he'll grow gills and breath like a fish.

alright! I got through 3 pages + 2 comments without an unnesasary one!

forget it

alright! I got through 3 pages + 2 comments without an unnesasary one!

forget it

I didn't get past the first post of this thread, before I found an unnecessary one.

Easy Denny. All the people here with no sense of humor might be listening. :paranoid:

Perhaps the Tigers have just been a bit lucky, to date. They have scored 407 runs and allowed 404,

which is more suggestive of a .500 club. The Tigers aren't that good, really, but they do have some

interesting pieces going forward. I like the future of the rotation, outfield, first base, and catching,

but there are serious needs on the left side of the infield, and an immediate need for another SP.

The pitching staff is talented, but very young (average age 26.7 years old) at the moment, and

the team ranks 12th in the league in defensive efficiency.

I'm not a big Leyland fan, but the larger issue is whether there is enough talent in place to made a

serious playoff run, IMHO.

Edited by DaYooperASBDT

I just don't get the hate for Leyland. If you were to take the winning percentages of all the managers in the history of the Tigers, Leyland would rank 9th among managers with 2 or more seasons. 9th in a franchise that is over 100 years old. Even has a higher winning percentage than Sparky Anderson.

The following post isn't really about Leyland per se, just general obserations:

- all managers and players are hated by some fans, no matter how successful they are. It's just that when the team loses a few games that gives the haters a chance to complain under the cover of rooting for the team.

- no matter how good the manager/player is, some haters will still hate. The better the team/manager/player, the higher the bar. The bar is always set deliberatly higher than whatever the current performance level to justify complaints. If the manager/player just had a great season, then the complaint is about regression/decline. If the manager/player hasn't yet had a great season, then the complaint is about unrealized potential.

I didn't get past the first post of this thread, before I found an unnecessary one.

:cry: ... now you hurt my feelings!

:grin:

The following post isn't really about Leyland per se, just general obserations:

- all managers and players are hated by some fans, no matter how successful they are. It's just that when the team loses a few games that gives the haters a chance to complain under the cover of rooting for the team.

- no matter how good the manager/player is, some haters will still hate. The better the team/manager/player, the higher the bar. The bar is always set deliberatly higher than whatever the current performance level to justify complaints. If the manager/player just had a great season, then the complaint is about regression/decline. If the manager/player hasn't yet had a great season, then the complaint is about unrealized potential.

I know exactly what you mean. Honestly, I was a big Leyland fan and supporter until the second game of the Cleveland double header... Then I looked at the facts :glasses:

I've stated many times on this forum that I felt Leyland was not getting the most out of the team. I've argued that our inability to win on the road is a direct reflection on the leadership. There's not a whole lot to be said. Either you think the team is simply not that good or you agree with me.

This sweep in Cleveland didn't surprise me at all nor did the meltdown at the end of last season. I feel like the team is fatally flawed at the top and thus likely to let us down in a big way. In other words, this team has immense potential to fall flat on their face, especially on the road.

My question is this; when are we going to win another road series. To the best of my knowledge, we haven't won one since the first of the season.

Until we can win on the road with a certain level of consistency, I'm going to believe that we need a new leader.

I feel like the team is fatally flawed at the top and thus likely to let us down in a big way.

Are you saying the way Jim Leyland puts it is flawed or the talent leavel isn't good... Because if you're saying the team isn't that good, then your answer to your question contradicts what you said in the 1st paragraph...

Other than that we're agreed.

btw - did what I just posted make any sence to anyone?

Either you think the team is simply not that good or you agree with me.

False dichotomies wooooooooo!

To the best of my knowledge, we haven't won one since the first of the season.

They won a two-game series in Oakland near the end of May.