mr0zip0

Has Jim Leyland's Time Come?

If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. If the Tigers DON'T make the playoffs, should the Tigers fire Jim Leyland?

• Yes
    • No
    • Too early to tell, but I'm satisfied right now
    • Too early to tell, but I'm not satisfied right now

Who is out there and is or could be available and willing to come to Detroit that would do a better job than Leyland or DD?

Lots of people on this message board could do better. Just ask them! :happy:

If the Indians don't make a couple of nice defensive plays in key moments, then suddenly we're talking about how this team is "rolling" and has "confidence".

Exactly. It's why baseball is such a rich, complex game that lends itself to statistics on one hand, but renders numbers meaningless on the other.

Anyone who didn't actually watch those games yesterday would have no way of knowing how a couple great plays prevented one, and perhaps two, Tiger victories.

One other thing,Leyland and Davey-Boy need to start riding these guys asses after games like these

I don't think that's enough. Dombrowski needs to hire some thugs to rough up the players after bad losses.

I don't think that's enough. Dombrowski needs to hire some thugs to rough up the players after bad losses.

Maybe he could hire Ugie Urbina to light a fire under their butts!

Sportz's assesment is spot on. Its a tough call. The second half swoon's are very disconcerting. So for me it comes down to the quality of the replacement.

But I am firmly in favor of keeping DD. Its because of him that the team has been relavant the past 5 years and his trade for Jackson, Coke and Scherzer + adding $$$( less Grandys and Jacksons salarires ) means his stock is going up. Plus it took guts which is what you want in leadership roles.

We need to be careful what we wish for....we could end up with the next Alan Trammell or Randy Smith. We've gotten spoiled by recent success....lest we forget how putrid we were a few short years ago.

We need to be careful what we wish for....we could end up with the next Alan Trammell or Randy Smith. We've gotten spoiled by recent success....lest we forget how putrid we were a few short years ago.

True, a personnel decision always has to be considered in light of the alternatives. But even in the absence of a high profile name sitting at home waiting, you do have two guys in the org with both major league playing stature and excellent minor league managing success profiles in Parish and Brookens. Neither of those two may be LaRussa, but neither of either of them are anything like the kind of unknown risk factor that Trammell was.

Certainly not a easy call, but if you believe JL is beginning to cost them games, how many can you accept in this situation before you are sure enough to pull the trigger without it being too late? Personally, I've been willing to see JL go for at least a couple of years now. I agree he is a great clubhouse guy, but it's not like that's all that rare in a manager. Most baseball teams don't generate a lot of clubhouse steam in the course of season. The one's that do are the exceptions.

What the hell does payroll have to do with determining what kind of job a manager is doing? I'd love to hear your reasoning on this.

How about the quality of players! It's a whole hell of a lot easier to coach the yankees then the marlins!

A good manager w/ low payroll = Great manager w/ high payroll

^90% of the time^

The guy who wants to give pre-arbitration players million plus contracts is saying the Tigers payroll is too high for performance...

haha, That was a dark time in my posting life, I'm over it now

"I want you three guys to work over Verlander on his walk to the team bus, but STAY AWAY FROM HIS RIGHT ARM!"

I'd like to see both Leyland and Dombrowski fired (and I've been saying this for a while.) For all the money Ilitch has invested in the Tigers, he deserves better on-field results. Dombrowski has blown the financial resources he's been given by signing players to horrendous contract extensions. And he hasn't improved the Tigers' farm system very much. Their minor league talent is not well-regarded by other clubs (hence the bad Baseball America minor league talent rankings.) And Leyland has presided over teams that annually collapse in the second half (not to mention his terrible in-game strategic decisions.)

I'd like to see both Leyland and Dombrowski fired (and I've been saying this for a while.) For all the money Ilitch has invested in the Tigers, he deserves better on-field results. Dombrowski has blown the financial resources he's been given by signing players to horrendous contract extensions. And he hasn't improved the Tigers' farm system very much. Their minor league talent is not well-regarded by other clubs (hence the bad Baseball America minor league talent rankings.) And Leyland has presided over teams that annually collapse in the second half (not to mention his terrible in-game strategic decisions.)

completly agree IF the Tigers don't make the playoffs.

There are 2 kinds of managers... bad ones and the other kind. With Leyland we have the other kind. I'd rather go with the devil we know and not risk getting a bad one.

There are 2 kinds of managers... bad ones and the other kind. With Leyland we have the other kind. I'd rather go with the devil we know and not risk getting a bad one.

There are more than two types. Leyland isn't nearly as good as some of the best, sorry.

Who are 'some of the best' and are they available? What tells you they are 'some of the best'?

Who are 'some of the best' and are they available? What tells you they are 'some of the best'?

did you know Mike Babcock was one of the best before they hired him??I leave those decisons to backround checking far above my pay grade.

did you know Mike Babcock was one of the best before they hired him??I leave those decisons to backround checking far above my pay grade.

Babcock was a pretty easy call I think. I remember the question being more of whether we would land him. But I think in hockey the situation is different. There are a lot of really bad guys managing hockey clubs because the Canadian old boy network is still a powerful thing in hockey. It makes the good guys stand out more clearly.

If they're going to get a new manager, I say do something crazy and get AJ Hinch or someone like that. If you're going to shake it up, you might as well actually make a philosophical change and get totally new blood and new ideas in there.

I don't mind Leyland. There are some true idiots out there and I don't want to risk having to watch one of them butcher games day in and day out. Leyland only does it maybe once a week on average.

Too early to tell, but not satisfied was my choice. I've never been happy with the hitting coach, but I'm resigned to the fact that as long as Jim stays, so, too, does Lloyd.

Jim Leyland has overstayed his welcome - there have been better managers who were dismissed because they didn't perform. How many good Yankee managers have gone because they didn't get to the World Series?

The Yankees have had 2 managers since 1996. I don't know where you're going with this. It took about 6 years to get rid of Torre.