djhutch

2010 Trade Deadline Thread

MLB Trade Deadline, Rumors & Roundup: Detroit Tigers Will Buy Something, From Somebody, To Improve - SBNation.com

This column made me think. In 2006 when we added for the stretch we added the likes of Sean Casey. He wasn't a superstar. He was nearly a regular, but not quite. I wonder if that's the sort of piece we may need, at least offensively, this time around. I don't mean someone who can play 1B. I mean someone who like Casey can have some good at bats, work deep into counts, play solid defense at their position (SS, C, 2B?), give the regulars a rest and help their second half of the season be more productive, etc.

Travis Wood pitched a gem..he is also a soft tossing lefty with middling at best trade value..

Alonso isn't better than Smoak..only in a Reds fans mind. Devin Mesoraco is a solid prospect but considerably behind what they Yankees or Twins catching prospects brought to the table..The Reds weren't in it for a number of reasons..their prospects were only one of them.

The Reds are having a great year..they also have Dusty Baker for a manager and limited funds.

Travis Wood touched 95 in the game and consistently sat at 91-92. Last time I checked that isn't soft tossing. Last time I checked Justin Smoak has been horrible this year.

Travis Wood touched 95 in the game and consistently sat at 91-92. Last time I checked that isn't soft tossing. Last time I checked Justin Smoak has been horrible this year.

Yeah..lets see how Travis Wood does over an extended period of time..AAA is not the major leagues..Smoak knocked in 22 runs in June. He's a kid he's streaky..he's also walked 38X and switch hits. Alonso doesn't face major league pitching.

Wood ranked as the Reds#19 prospect..people overvalue one or two games..see Armando Galaragga..

Didn't overvalue him, I have known about him for 5 years...He has been very good in the minors and has consistently gotten better over the years. If Travis Wood ranks as your 19th best prospect I think you are doing something right.

Did you happen to see what Travis Wood did the other night?

Do you think "ALMOST" throwing a perfect game impresses anyone around here?

This team needs to trade for another starting pitcher if they want any chance to win the division. Andy Oliver is not ready to pitch in the big leagues.

Outside of a trade, the only hope for the starting rotation is that Porcello returns to last year's form (which wasn't great, but would give the team a solid mid-bottom rotation groundball pitcher.) It's amazing that the team's rotation is as poor as it is, considering all the resources DD has poured into drafting & developing pitching.

Wait, what happened... Are we okay? T'Rok is back, something has to be goin' wrong?!?

Didn't overvalue him, I have known about him for 5 years...He has been very good in the minors and has consistently gotten better over the years. If Travis Wood ranks as your 19th best prospect I think you are doing something right.

I think if he ranks #19 on a team that hasn't conteneded in lets kindly say..a long time..he is only a decent prospect..especially after 5 years.

I dont blame you for beng excited..your a Reds fan.

It's amazing that the team's rotation is as poor as it is, considering all the resources DD has poured into drafting & developing pitching.

In fairness, the drafted/developing pitching strategy has been tilted towards the bullpen rather than the rotation, I'd estimate. Heading into the season, I don't think even the most optimistic fans figured there were many/any homegrown MLB-ready starting pitchers waiting in the wings.

I think if he ranks #19 on a team that hasn't conteneded in lets kindly say..a long time..he is only a decent prospect..especially after 5 years.

This doesn't really make sense, if they haven't contended for awhile, that would mean they have been drafting high in many drafts. So I would say being bad gives you a better chance of having a solid farm system. I never said I was really excited or anything, I was basically disagreeing with your poo pooing of the reds farm system.

In fairness, the drafted/developing pitching strategy has been tilted towards the bullpen rather than the rotation, I'd estimate. Heading into the season, I don't think even the most optimistic fans figured there were many/any homegrown MLB-ready starting pitchers waiting in the wings.

Yeah..so Porcello, Turner Oliver are all busts..

you say the goofiest stuff sometimes..

Lets also add the used Miller to acquire Cabrera..so maybe, just maybe, your misguided analysis needs some reconsideration.

Your time is better spent banging your head against a brick wall while rabid dogs attack your scrotum than it is arguing with Sportz.

MLB Trade Deadline, Rumors & Roundup: Detroit Tigers Will Buy Something, From Somebody, To Improve - SBNation.com

This column made me think. In 2006 when we added for the stretch we added the likes of Sean Casey. He wasn't a superstar. He was nearly a regular, but not quite. I wonder if that's the sort of piece we may need, at least offensively, this time around. I don't mean someone who can play 1B. I mean someone who like Casey can have some good at bats, work deep into counts, play solid defense at their position (SS, C, 2B?), give the regulars a rest and help their second half of the season be more productive, etc.

Some mention made that oswalt 'rejected' the Tigers. I hadn't seen him mentioned recently in that context.

Someone on MLBTR said Oswalt won't go to any team that he thinks can't give the Astros what he's worth, which might have played into his reasoning in rejecting two contending teams like the Tigers and White Sox.

Your time is better spent banging your head against a brick wall while rabid dogs attack your scrotum than it is arguing with Sportz.

correct..

sort of like arguing college football supremacy with a certain LA based poster :wink:

Well the Tigers' 25th rated prospect is better than the Reds' 19th best, so I guess the Tigers have a way better system, eh?

Someone on MLBTR said Oswalt won't go to any team that he thinks can't give the Astros what he's worth, which might have played into his reasoning in rejecting two contending teams like the Tigers and White Sox.

It was Ken Rosenthal.

BTW, Travis Wood was a 2nd round pick in 2005. He started his career as a 18 year old kid, and pitched well. He hit a speed bump in Sarasota (Reds High A) in 2007 at the age of 20 (I think he spent some time on the DL that year). In 2008 he pitched well in Sarasota, and got moved up to AA Chattanooga, where he bombed. From 2007 on he has been fairly successful. One thing that is kind of alarming, his BB totals are fairly high....he does strike out a good deal of hitters to make up for it though. But looking at his numbers, I'd be excited to see him finally make it to the Big Leagues.

I don't care either way, because I have enough problems here in the AL to worry about...just thought I'd throw that out there.

correct..

sort of like arguing college football supremacy with a certain LA based poster :wink:

There's a short argument. The Pac-10 blows!

IMO - Ted Lilly and Ryan Theriot are more likely to be Tiger targets than Haren and Drew.

...Based upon availability and price - Lilly being a LH would also be a plus.

Edited by keystone

Lilly? I'm down with that.

Tigers should aim high though. Larish for Halladay! Get er dun DD.

They might have to throw in Brad Thomas...but I am cool with that.

I also see that teams are asking about Yunel Escobar. Now would be the time to trade for him. Personally I'd love the idea of getting Escobar...depending on the cost of course.

Well, you can put this thought to rest. He was traded to Toronto for Alex Gonzales. I don't get the move as I think Escobar would be worth more than that. Maybe we can pull a deal with Toronto for him?

Well, you can put this thought to rest. He was traded to Toronto for Alex Gonzales. I don't get the move as I think Escobar would be worth more than that. Maybe we can pull a deal with Toronto for him?

Something else more sisnister is going on there...either off the field or personal..that was a dump..and out and out..we need him out of here trade..I can promise you DD kicked the tires on that and may have passed after the backround check.

Something else more sisnister is going on there...either off the field or personal..that was a dump..and out and out..we need him out of here trade..I can promise you DD kicked the tires on that and may have passed after the backround check.

According to Wren (on XM), Toronto had told them to call if they were ever looking to move Escobar and the thought Gonzalez gave them a better chance to win this season and next. They also feel they will have a SS from within by 2012 when they would need one.

Duquette and Casey Stern agree with you about some personality/attitude issue.

WTF? The Braves just got pimped.

I know Escobar lied about his age when he was signed...which of course is not that uncommon. I really haven't that much stuff about him being a cancer or anything.

This trade is a real head scratcher for me. Escobar is better, younger, cheaper, and under control for longer....don't get it.

According to Wren (on XM), Toronto had told them to call if they were ever looking to move Escobar and the thought Gonzalez gave them a better chance to win this season and next. They also feel they will have a SS from within by 2012 when they would need one.

Duquette and Casey Stern agree with you about some personality/attitude issue.

If Chipper does retire, Why not move Escobar to 3B....problem solved. I should be a GM!

I am not seeing how Gonzalez helps the Braves more. Do you really see Gonzalez keeping his HR swing? I don't. There is something in the water up there in Toronto...my guess is that he doesn't hit more than 5 more all year. Last year in 110 games his SLG was a whopping .355. Despite Escobar's low AVG, his OBP is 35 points higher than Gonzalez...and Escobar is having a down year.

I just don't get it....

From MLBTR:

Blue Jays Acquire Yunel Escobar

By Tim Dierkes [July 14, 2010 at 11:03am CST]

The Blue Jays acquired shortstop Yunel Escobar and pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes from the Braves for shortstop Alex Gonzalez and minor leaguers Tim Collins and Tyler Pastornicky, according to a team press release. The Jays designated Ronald Uviedo for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.

The move comes as a big surprise, as Escobar was perhaps one of the more valuable commodities in the game when the 2009 season concluded. Just a few days ago, MLB.com's Mark Bowman wrote that the Braves "simply aren't willing to sell low on a guy who they still view as the game's top defensive shortstop." Escobar was worth over four wins last year, but his power has disappeared in 301 plate appearances this year. Escobar will be arbitration-eligible for the first time after this season, so he'll be under the Jays' control through 2013. Escobar's attitude was a likely factor in the deal; Bowman wrote in June that "there's no doubt that Escobar's flamboyant approach to the game has continued to infuriate some members of the Braves organization." Back in February, MLB.com's Alden Gonzalez went more in-depth on the attitude angle.

Gonzalez will replace Escobar as the Braves' starting shortstop as they enter the second half with a four game lead in the NL East. He doesn't get on base, but he's already hit 17 home runs on the season and continues to play strong defense. Gonzalez is owed another $1.23MM this year and has a $2.5MM club option for 2011. Braves GM Frank Wren told David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "This trade improves our club for the second half of the season."

Reyes, a 25-year-old southpaw, has spent most of the season at Triple A. His strikeout and walk rates are strong in his fourth stint at the level, but he's had problems with home runs and hits. Baseball America regarded Reyes as the Braves' eighth-best prospect heading into the 2007 season, calling him a "thick-bodied lefthander who does a good job of keeping hitters off balance." He's dealt with injuries, including Tommy John surgery in '04.

Collins, a 20-year-old lefty, was ranked 19th among Blue Jays prospects by Baseball America heading into this season. The 5'7" southpaw "gets outs with a solid fastball that tops out at 93 mph and a true 12-to-6 curveball that he spins really well." Working in relief, Collins has a 15.3 K/9 in 43 Double A innings this year. Pastornicky, a 20-year-old shortstop, was ranked 17th. He's described as a player who "doesn't have flashy tools but gets the most out of what he has." In the best case, he'll become a line drive top of the order hitter with solid defense, indicates BA. As for Uviedo, the Jays had acquired him from the Pirates in the June Dana Eveland deal. BA described him as rail-thin and homer-prone heading into the '09 season, but praised his fastball and slider.

My take: this is certainly a win-now move for the Braves, who are confident Gonzalez will provide more over the next few months than Escobar would have. The Blue Jays, meanwhile, managed the rare feat of acquiring three-plus years of a shortstop with star potential without giving up much.

Edited by DontGotSheed