djhutch

2010 Trade Deadline Thread

I figured it might be a good idea to have one place where we can put all the rumors/ideas we see. I'll start with this little nugget from the Freep.

Link

Tigers/Carlos Zambrano could be a perfect match

BY RICK LITTLE /

PHOENIX

This column was submitted by a freep.com reader and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the Detroit Free Press nor its writers. Click here to submit your own column.

The Tigers should go get a starting pitcher.

A statement that sounds easy enough. It looks like there are plenty of high quality guys on the trade block, right? But in reality, it will be next to impossible. Now, for those of you paying attention, I said "next" to impossible.

Here's the problem. The Tigers have as barren a farm system -- much like they've had for many, many years. Of course, you won't hear Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski say as much. But after scanning the current rosters and performances of the players at Erie and Toledo, most of those playing well are well beyond prospect years. The truth is 29 and 30 year olds in the minors are no longer prospects they are career minor leaguers.

So is there anyone in the Tigers organization that's having a good year IS a prospect? One that comes to mind is a recent call-up -- as recent as Wednesday -- Robbie Weinhardt.

What could one good relief pitching prospect bring? Well, normally not a decent starter, unless that starter is in the process of burning the very bridge that ties him to his current major league team. That would be the Cubs' talented but oft misunderstood left-hander Carlos Zambrano. Big Z has pretty much blown himself out of Chicago. However, Zambrano could seek refuge in the Tigers clubhouse.

Reviving careers in a forgive-and-forget atmosphere that would help Big Z's comeback. Plus, the Cubs bullpen needs help and a quality young guy like Weinhardt might be just the ticket.

Tigers fans need to root for this kid to have a couple of quality outings for more than one reason.

Other than the fact that he calls Zambrano a left-hander, any thoughts on the merit? Z would obviously cost less than a guy like Haren, which could provide opportunity to upgrade SS as well.

Edited by djhutch

That was a heck of an article..Carlos Zambrano and a baren farm system..that my firends is some truly insightful baseball writing.

My thoughts on Carlos Zambrano:

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Rick Little is a very poor writer, is all I have to say.

Rick Little is a very poor writer, is all I have to say.

Does he know there are more than two teams in the Tigers farm system?

Looks to me like he needs to stick with the Diamondbacks.

Good and bad news....Twins might not get Lee. But it looks like he is going to the Dark Side.

Yankees May Be Close To Acquiring Cliff Lee

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 9 at 7:43am CST]

The Yankees were 'on the brink' of acquiring Cliff Lee last night in a deal that would include top catching prospect Jesus Montero, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik wants to move quickly and has been in 'constant contact' with Yankees GM Brian Cashman over the course of the last week, according to Sherman. Other clubs remain involved, but the Yankees are the heavy favorite to acquire the lefty.

Sherman hears that the Mariners would get at least three prospects, including Montero and possibly second baseman David Adams. Lee is supposed to face the Yankees tonight, but that could change. If a trade is completed today, Lee will not face the Mariners tonight, or possibly for the entire weekend series (all Twitter links).

Talks are intensifying between the Yankees and Mariners, Jon Heyman of SI.com confirms. Discussions between the Yankees and Mariners appear serious and it's 'quite possible' that a deal will be completed.

Meanwhile ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports that no deal is in place, and the Mariners could double back to continue discussions with the Rays, Twins, Rangers, Reds and others. The Mariners initially had a ‘huge’ asking price for Lee, but lowered their demands yesterday. As Olney points out, a trade for Lee could mean Javier Vazquez’s days in the Bronx are numbered.

This guy is on drugs. Dombrowski would laugh at this thought. An overpriced headcase? Pass.

Leave the headcase part out of it. Carlos Zambrano isn't a good pitcher anymore.

Too bad to, he was real good at one point.

Zambrono, no thanks.

Interesting tidbit about the Mariners lowering their asking price for Lee.

I know, I know, but one can still dream.

I could write a better article zonked on meth while Delonte West tells me how he's been doing my mom...

If the Yankees were to get Cliff Lee, what about the chances of the Tigers nabbing Javier Vazquez? He certainly has experience in this division.

It's inane enough to simply suggest acquiring Zambrano, even if the cost was zero. But to want to trade Weinhardt for him is so ridiculous that I feel like I've lost brain cells just from reading it.

That would be the Cubs' talented but oft misunderstood left-hander Carlos Zambrano. Big Z has pretty much blown himself out of Chicago

Interesting side fact here.....Zambrano is a Right Hander.

My initial kneejerk response to Vazquez is: underwhelmed. I'm wrong though and he's awesome, right?

no, i think you're right.

He's maddeningly inconsistent, but does eat up the innings. He's not a guy you can count on.

Vazquez would be an upgrade, but he'd also be just a rental, and not worth much. I'd take a look at him, but you can't count on him to pitch anything big.

Darn. Rather let the Phils have him then. Read that they were scouting his start but can't remember where I saw it.

Here it is:

May not mean a thing, but one of #Phillies top scouts was there Monday when Javier Vazquez pitched for #Yankees

ed_price

Javier Vazquez seems to pitch better in the NL for whatever reason. ESPN is having a field day this week. Big LeBron crap and now it will be all Cliff Lee all the time and how nobody can beat the Yankees now

I never get pissed off about the Yankees acquiring more, but if they get Lee, I'll be steamed.

EDIT - Better there than Minnesota. But it still bugs me.