Sign in to follow this  
lesgoblu02

Red Wings offseason

It appears that Maltby has been signed to a one year, two way contract and will start the year in Grand Rapids.

Yep. He probably saw Lilja's situation as a cautionary tale.

I am amazed that Maltby continues to get contracts.

Maybe the worst player to ever play over 1000 NHL games. I realize that saying that sounds strange (how can a guy be bad if he's played over 1000 games) but this is why the term "clubhouse guy" was invented. I think it's possible to last a long time doing the very little things. This is strictly a knock on Maltby. He has been on the decline for a long, long time. Even the most passionate Wings fans must agree. I know a few myself.

I didn't want Maltby resigned. I think he did really well in his niche in his prime, and I'm glad the Wings had him (especially for giving up nothing for him). I don't mind a two way deal though. It is just for an injury call up. I was pretty afraid he'd get a one way, and be stuck seeing him miss checks and hit himself into the glass all year long.

I didn't want Maltby resigned. I think he did really well in his niche in his prime, and I'm glad the Wings had him (especially for giving up nothing for him). I don't mind a two way deal though. It is just for an injury call up. I was pretty afraid he'd get a one way, and be stuck seeing him miss checks and hit himself into the glass all year long.

My feelings as well. I don't expect him to be playing for the Wings unless there's an injury & I couldn't care less if he's holding a spot down with the Griffins.

Definitely don't think I'd go as far as to call him maybe the worst player to ever play over 1,000 games though like jonjd is saying.

I am amazed that Maltby continues to get contracts.

Maybe the worst player to ever play over 1000 NHL games. I realize that saying that sounds strange (how can a guy be bad if he's played over 1000 games) but this is why the term "clubhouse guy" was invented. I think it's possible to last a long time doing the very little things. This is strictly a knock on Maltby. He has been on the decline for a long, long time. Even the most passionate Wings fans must agree. I know a few myself.

Much of your paragraph is fair and I agree with it. But if he put together this kind of career playing in Vancouver, the Canucks would probably be retiring his jersey a few years from now. Admit it, you know I'm speaking the truth :cheeky:

It appears that Maltby has been signed to a one year, two way contract and will start the year in Grand Rapids.

Well Malts was good while it lasted, but GR is a good place for him. I know the DRW organization takes care of its people, but I think he should have been gone 2 years ago.

Bertuzzi is the another one I don't understand why they offered the contract they did. What were they thinking?

As for the others on the roster. I'm OK. The only other one I have to question is the salary given to Osgood, almost $1.5m? Again what were they thinking?:confused:

What a surprise, Kronwall apparently having lingering knee injury troubles.

Yeah. Don't expect any open ice full body hits from him anymore. That's disappointing.

Gawd, I loved to see him do that. Even more, Scott Stevens in his prime. Wow!

Much of your paragraph is fair and I agree with it. But if he put together this kind of career playing in Vancouver, the Canucks would probably be retiring his jersey a few years from now. Admit it, you know I'm speaking the truth :cheeky:

Oh come on Stanley. You know that's a stretch even for V.C. don't you? lol

(of course look what they did for LaBongo?)

As for the others on the roster. I'm OK. The only other one I have to question is the salary given to Osgood, almost $1.5m? Again what were they thinking?:confused:

He was coming off his best season of his career, including a dominating post season leading the Wings to the Cup.

The money was right. It was the length that I didn't like.

He was coming off his best season of his career, including a dominating post season leading the Wings to the Cup.

Agreed. $1.5 million a year for a goalie who just came off the year that you mentioned, along with the fact that he at the worst decent since his return to Detroit, isn't much at all. The three year part of the deal on a goalie who was 35 (?) at the time of the deal was the most questionable thing. As a matter of fact, considering his stats & how he played up until that contract, $1.5 million a year was a steal, especially when looking at some of the other "top goalie" contracts.

Understand they were locked in to that. Thank you.

Say no more.

and i love ozzy. geez.

Agreed. $1.5 million a year for a goalie who just came off the year that you mentioned, along with the fact that he at the worst decent since his return to Detroit, isn't much at all. The three year part of the deal on a goalie who was 35 (?) at the time of the deal was the most questionable thing. As a matter of fact, considering his stats & how he played up until that contract, $1.5 million a year was a steal, especially when looking at some of the other "top goalie" contracts.

They take care of their own. Holland had a lot to do with that.

end of subject.

The only other thing I will add, especially for all you "ozzie is good fans" ... is that ossie, faded fast.. I'd really enjoy seeing Ozzie again, but I don't think so.

They take care of their own. Holland had a lot to do with that.

end of subject.

The only other thing I will add, especially for all you "ozzie is good fans" ... is that ossie, faded fast.. I'd really enjoy seeing Ozzie again, but I don't think so.

First part - Of course it partially was taking care of their own. Not even close to the fore mentioned Maltby contract considering, as lesgo said, Osgood was coming off the best year of his career. You want to draw a more similar comparison for this Maltby contract? McCarty coming back. Only difference is that Maltby didn't go somewhere else & come back.

Second part - Has anyone actually said "ozzie is good" in here? I don't even like Osgood, but I won't deny the fact that when that contract was signed he was coming off a year where he was one of the top, if not the top goalie in the league during the season. Then take a look at who else was in that class & how much they were being paid. $1.5 million a year for a goalie coming off a year with a 2.09 GAA & 91% save percentage is nothing. Which brings us all the way back to the argument that it's not the price that was questionable, it was the length.

First part - Of course it partially was taking care of their own. Not even close to the fore mentioned Maltby contract considering, as lesgo said, Osgood was coming off the best year of his career. You want to draw a more similar comparison for this Maltby contract? McCarty coming back. Only difference is that Maltby didn't go somewhere else & come back.

Second part - Has anyone actually said "ozzie is good" in here? I don't even like Osgood, but I won't deny the fact that when that contract was signed he was coming off a year where he was one of the top, if not the top goalie in the league during the season. Then take a look at who else was in that class & how much they were being paid. $1.5 million a year for a goalie coming off a year with a 2.09 GAA & 91% save percentage is nothing. Which brings us all the way back to the argument that it's not the price that was questionable, it was the length.

Granted you make some good points. My point is simply this (and unfortunately now, in hind sight, no one would have predicted it) but Osgood, for the numbers he was able to put up in the previous season, sure faded fast.

My second point is this --- while I expect to see him played some more -- I don't think we'll see him back like before. Just a gut level feeling, and I'd love to be proven wrong.

I should have added to make the point to all you Ozzie fans (Osgood should be in the Hall of Fame and so forth) that if last year was not enough to dispel that myth, then I don't know what will.

Oh well, lets wait and see. Maybe we'll see Chris get over the hump this year.:cry:

The lack of youtube is disturbing.

Do you need some Perry Mason TV show theme song music video to brighten things up a bit? I have it, if you like. Just ask.

:grin:

Anyone else excited that the preseason starts today? Wings don't actually play tonight, but they play the Pens tomorrow (I hope I can find someway to watch this!). It feels like hockey came early this year.

Anyone else excited that the preseason starts today? Wings don't actually play tonight, but they play the Pens tomorrow (I hope I can find someway to watch this!). It feels like hockey came early this year.

Yeah, i've been looking in the usual places for streams for tomorrow. Not sure if it's televised or not ... I looked at NHL Networks upcoming schedule and they have the Chi/Det games both being televised live.