DontGotSheed

Miguel Cabrera...2010 HR Derby winner

I'd love to watch Cabrera in the HR derby, even if I have to suffer through Chris Berman's "quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack" routine.

I'd love to watch Cabrera in the HR derby, even if I have to suffer through Chris Berman's "quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack quack" routine.

They should get this guy to do the play-by-play...don't understand a thing he's saying, but it's waaaay better than Berman...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UelrtQY2vo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UelrtQY2vo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Forget the jinx.

All of those swings? That could be the equivalent of as many as 10+ at bats. Tread on that tire.

Don't do it.

He should probably stop taking batting practice as well, right?

Attention.

Instead of the Derby screwing guys up, maybe it's the FOUR DAYS away from baseball, cooking dogs and swimming and NOT seeing Major League hitting for almost a week....?

"Annie. Annie .... Get The Broad Out Of Your Head!"

He should probably stop taking batting practice as well, right?

Horrible analogy. A swing is a dynamic thing. Big difference between practicing seeing the ball, hitting into certain gaps and whatever else certain guys aim to do in their BP than completely torquing your swing for 50 pitches to try and crush a ball 450 feet.

Players don't swing for homers on every pitch of an AB. They pick and choose their spots. And they surely don't in BP, either.

Yes so I suppose everything else should be thrown out of the window?

Not at all. A guy who has been an elite hitter his entire career and who has participated in a HR derby before which had no impact on his swing, should be concerned deeply.

He's been a very good hitter his entire career. Right now he is the best player in baseball. 2006 Miguel is a long ways away from 2010 Miguel. If I'm him, I'm not doing anything more than I'm doing right now which is drinking virgin margaritas, eating tamales and hitting home runs in actual games.

Look, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for disagreeing, but Miguel hitting in the derby makes me uneasy and I wish he wouldn't.

I'm a little concerned in general about Cabrera, as he has a kidney infection. It's being treated but it has caused back pain and a fever. He said he won't participate in the derby if he doesn't feel better because the derby can make you very tired.

Tigers' Miguel Cabrera picked for Home Run Derby | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

They should get this guy to do the play-by-play...don't understand a thing he's saying, but it's waaaay better than Berman...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UelrtQY2vo&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UelrtQY2vo&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That was awesome.

I'm a little concerned in general about Cabrera, as he has a kidney infection. It's being treated but it has caused back pain and a fever. He said he won't participate in the derby if he doesn't feel better because the derby can make you very tired.

Tigers' Miguel Cabrera picked for Home Run Derby | freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Hmmmmm...quit drinking and then get a kidney infection. WTF?

He's been a very good hitter his entire career. Right now he is the best player in baseball. 2006 Miguel is a long ways away from 2010 Miguel.

So I am clear on this. It seems like you are suggesting that since Miguel was a less effective hitter in 2006, it means he was not impacted by participating in the HR derby. But because he is more effective now, the HR derby could screw up his swing. Is this correct?

If so, it seems like a strained argument to me. Could you provide some sort of analysis that more effective hitters as a group are more negatively impacted by participating in the HR derby than other hitters? Or demonstrate hitters as a group are negatively impacted by participating in the HR derby?

If I'm him, I'm not doing anything more than I'm doing right now which is drinking virgin margaritas, eating tamales and hitting home runs in actual games.

I suspect Miguel concerns himself with a lot more than this, and I also suspect he is smart enough to figure whether participating in the HR derby is something that is likely to hurt his effectiveness or not.

Look, I'm not saying anyone is wrong for disagreeing, but Miguel hitting in the derby makes me uneasy and I wish he wouldn't.

Fair enough.

He's been a very good hitter his entire career. Right now he is the best player in baseball. 2006 Miguel is a long ways away from 2010 Miguel. If I'm him, I'm not doing anything more than I'm doing right now which is drinking virgin margaritas, eating tamales and hitting home runs in actual games.

I'm not worried about him messing up his swing as much as I'm worried he might pull or tear a muscle or hurt a wrist in a meaningless "competition". I really hope he gets the 24-hour crabs(or whatever) the day of the Derby.

I'm not worried about him messing up his swing as much as I'm worried he might pull or tear a muscle or hurt a wrist in a meaningless "competition". I really hope he gets the 24-hour crabs(or whatever) the day of the Derby.

Out of curiousity, what are 24-hour crabs? (Do I want to know?)

Out of curiousity, what are 24-hour crabs? (Do I want to know?)

It's where your nuts itch, but only for a day. It's a sympathetic response to a cheap, but clean, whore.

It's where your nuts itch, but only for a day. It's a sympathetic response to a cheap, but clean, whore.

One of the reasons I love this place is because of all the things I learn that I normally wouldn't.:happy:

I love how so many of our threads go off in so many weird directions sometimes.

I lurked for a long time before starting to post. And its safe to say I didnt come here just for the baseball. :rambo: