DontGotSheed

Miguel Cabrera...2010 HR Derby winner

Alright, how do you guys feel about it? Personally, I am jinx guy...I believe in all of them. I don't want to see Miggy turn into Bobby Abreu or Brandon Inge and disappear in the second half.

On the other hand, Miggy has traditionally been a second half guy...which could make this a very special year. And I love it when we got a guy from the Tigers is up there beating all these guys that don't deserve to be in the AS Game.

What do you think?

I don't think Brandon Inge disappeared in the second half because of the derby where he hit zero home runs. I think it's because he's....you know....Brandon Inge. :lick:

Non-issue for me. I hope he wins it and I don't think it'll affect him at all. This is like batting practice to these guys. We'll see though.

Alright, how do you guys feel about it? Personally, I am jinx guy...I believe in all of them. I don't want to see Miggy turn into Bobby Abreu or Brandon Inge and disappear in the second half.

On the other hand, Miggy has traditionally been a second half guy...which could make this a very special year. And I love it when we got a guy from the Tigers is up there beating all these guys that don't deserve to be in the AS Game.

What do you think?

Wow, wouldn't that be something? We would be looking at .400BA-50HR-and 200 RBI. Okay, not likely but DAMN!!!

He is on fire, and the pure strength is there, but he's really more of a line-drive hitter than a fly-ball hitter, no? I would bet against him actually.

I'm just scared that the HR derby will mess up his swing, but perhaps that's less likely in Miggy's case.

I don't believe in any jinx, but has anybody actually studied the effects/lack thereof of the HRD on players' second half performance?

I'm just scared that the HR derby will mess up his swing, but perhaps that's less likely in Miggy's case.

Me too.

I think last year one of the stat guys on here did the work and compared the second half vs. the first half stats of past HRD winners and showed that the statistical evidence wasn't there to support the theory that the HRD messes up their swings.

But, not being a stat guy, I laugh in the face of their facts and cling to my belief that the HRD does have a negative effect on the participants.

I wish Miggy was not participating.

First of all, Brandon Inge fell off in the second half last year because his knees were exploding. Not because he messed up his swing trying to jack homers. Besides, that's all he tries to do anyway, so it's a moot point.

I think Miguel's renewed focus we've seen this year will enable him to not only hit us into the playoffs, but win the Home Run Derby by at least 15 homers.

The Home Run Derby is going to go the way of the Slam Dunk competition, and it will be brought down from within -- mainly, when most or all of the marquee players refuse to participate in it.

In 2006, Cabrera participated in the derby, and ended that season hitting .336 with 26 homers. I tried to look up just his second half stats, but I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else can, but it seems to me like he came out ok.

this is the greatest hitting performance ive seen since cecil fielder. i knew he was gonna blast that one last night i was ready to celebrate.

this is the greatest hitting performance ive seen since cecil fielder. i knew he was gonna blast that one last night i was ready to celebrate.

I personally think there have been better hitters to play with Detroit since Fielder, but that's just my opinion.

I don't believe in any jinx, but has anybody actually studied the effects/lack thereof of the HRD on players' second half performance?

I think I might right now. I am a data analyst (in a clinical setting) and I have some free time this week, maybe I will put some spreadsheets together and see if there are any correlations.

The Home Run Derby is going to go the way of the Slam Dunk competition, and it will be brought down from within -- mainly, when most or all of the marquee players refuse to participate in it.

I think the problem is that its too long. It becomes a 3hr competition, in generally hot, humid stadiums. Instead of trying to put up that huge number in the first round, just cut it down to 10-15 swings, not 10 "outs". Then playoff the ties. Some guys are hacking 25 times just in that first round alone. In a regular 9 inning game, many guys don't swing the bat 15 times a night..

This will be the first one I will be watching since 2005 in Detroit.

Attention.

Instead of the Derby screwing guys up, maybe it's the FOUR DAYS away from baseball, cooking dogs and swimming and NOT seeing Major League hitting for almost a week....?

I really do not want to see him in the HR derby. Pujols just said the other day he hated what it did to his swing. The quicker he goes out the better.

Attention.

Instead of the Derby screwing guys up, maybe it's the FOUR DAYS away from baseball, cooking dogs and swimming and NOT seeing Major League hitting for almost a week....?

I doubt that is it. Look at how well some guys come back from DL stints. Look how well Carlos is doing and he was almost out for a little over 2 weeks.

I think the problem is that its too long. .

Absolutely. One round is plenty.

Yeah. You're probably right.

I don't know what it is. I just hope Miguel gets out alive and healthy and able to mash.

Absolutely. One round is plenty.

One round doesn't give enough of the casual tv watching lard-buckets time to pop in and maybe stay tuned for the remainder of a glorified slug fest.

No causal lard-buckets = no $$.

I do like seeing 500 ft bombs though. Prince Fielder is probably the most exciting guy to watch in a HR Derby. Puts everything into every swing.

I do like seeing 500 ft bombs though. Prince Fielder is probably the most exciting guy to watch in a HR Derby. Puts everything into every swing.

He also puts everything into every sandwich.