Shinma

Holland pursuing Modano.

Report: Red Wings target Modano - NHL Free Agency 2010

According to ESPNDallas.com, the Detroit Red Wings are making a concerted effort to bring Michigan native Mike Modano back home.

"They're selling it pretty hard," Modano told the web site. "Having a team like Detroit really interested in me is flattering. I could have some fun playing with some great players and a great organization. There's a lot of upside to it. But for me, I need to figure out in my head what I want to do."

Last week, the Dallas Stars announced they would not re-sign the 40-year-old Modano, the top scoring American player in NHL history. (1,359 points and 557 goals).

"He's a local boy, a [future] Hall of Famer, yeah, I'm interested," Detroit GM Ken Holland told the Detroit Free Press when free agency began last week. "We've had good success through the years in getting the most out of players that are nearing the end."

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/34396-Red-Wings-willing-to-offer-free-agent-Mike-Modano-one-or-twoyear-contract.html

Red Wings willing to offer free agent Mike Modano one- or two-year contract

The Detroit Red Wings are willing to offer Mike Modano a one- or two-year deal at a base salary of between $1 million and $1.5 million per season, THN.com has learned.

If Modano, 40, signs for one year only, the Red Wings would also be permitted to offer him performance bonuses.

Under the collective bargaining agreement, teams are allowed to go 7.5 percent over the salary cap – which amounts to $4.47 million – as a bonus cushion for entry level players and over 35 players who are on one-year deals.

Any amount the team goes over the cap due to the bonuses can be applied to the cap the next season.

Edited by Shinma

My first thought is that Modano's had a great career but there's nothing left and he's done.

My second thought is based on the DRW track record if Ken Holland thinks there's something there then my first thought is probably wrong.

Mike Modano will play with Detroit or retire - NHL- nbcsports.msnbc.com

"There isn't any other team," said Modano. "It will be here or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that." After spending his entire career within the Stars' organization, Dallas GM Joe Nieuwendyk publicly stated that the Stars would not be offering him a new contract. Modano was born in Michigan and he'd have a chance to finish his career on a high note with the Red Wings. Detroit GM Ken Holland has already said that Modano would be pencilled in as the team's third line center if he signed with them, a role that Modano is still capable of excelling at. If Modano decides to play one more season, he should score 15-20 goals and 30-40 points.

http://detnews.com/article/20100706/SPORTS0103/7060424/1128/rss16

Mike Modano says only team that interests him is Wings

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Detroit -- Forget about the Blackhawks or any other NHL team. If Westland native Mike Modano decides he wants to play hockey next season, he is going play for the Red Wings.

"There isn't any other team," said Modano, standing outside Tigers and Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch's suite at Comerica Park Tuesday night. "It will be here or I'm not playing. I think it's narrowed to that."

Modano, the highest scoring American-born player in NHL history, spent the day with Ilitch, Red Wings general manager Ken Holland and coach Mike Babcock.

"This is kind of intriguing," he said of the opportunity to finish his career in his hometown. "It's a great team, a great situation as far as coming home. There are a lot of positives to it."

The only question Modano needs to answer is whether at age 40 he can muster the energy for a 21st NHL season.

"The last couple of years have been tough and they've taken a toll on me, mentally more than anything else," he said. "Physically, I still feel fine and I can play, but you have to try and get that excitement back about playing.

"If I could get it here, it's probably a given with the talent and the type of team they have. To be able to go out winning another Stanley Cup, that would be phenomenal."

The Red Wings made it clear he would be a valuable part of their 2010-11 roster. He spent a lot of time playing left wing the last couple years in Dallas, but Holland said Modano would be the third-line center with the Wings.

"I think part of what he's going through is, you are talking about a player who's been with one club his entire career and then eight days ago he was told they were moving on without him," Holland said. "I hate speaking for him, but I'm sure that's part of his process. 'Do I want to leave? Do I have enough energy? I'm not going some place to be a fourth-line left winger when I'm a centerman."

The Wings are expected to offer Modano close to a $1 million for next season. After signing Drew Miller to a one-year deal worth $650,000 Tuesday, they now have 19 players signed for roughly $55 million. The salary cap next season is $59.4 million.

So, if they do sign Modano, they would have $3.4 million left to sign restricted free agents Patrick Eaves, Derek Meech, Justin Abdelkader and Darren Helm. Helm and Abdelkader would presumably battle for the fourth-line center position.

Holland said he expects both Helm and Abdelkader to be on the roster next season, even if Modano signs.

But there is a chance one of those yet unsigned players might not get signed; or there is a chance the Wings could make some other moves before the season opens to free up space.

"It's July, I'm not there yet," Holland said about the possible roster ramifications of signing Modano. "If Mike Modano joins us, then we'll see where we're at. We think he's a real good fit."

Modano has scored 557 goals during his career. He scored 15 in a limited role last year. He would most likely also play on the second power-play unit for the Wings.

"Here's our thought process: This is a Hall of Fame player. This is Mike Modano," Holland said. "He's a local player and we think he's got some good hockey left in him. He would give our team a real boost if he wants to play.

"Now we think he'd come home and be really pumped up for a year. But if he doesn't want to play, if the energy is not there, then we'll see. But Mike Babcock and I believe he will make the decision to play for all the right reasons." Holland said there was no timetable on Modano, except for the one Modano puts on himself.

"The sooner the better," Modano said of his decision. "I know they would love to get an answer so they can get their cap and their roster situated.

I don't want to delay this."

Edited by Shinma

I am 100% down with signing Modano. I don't think he has much left in the tank, but I don't think he's riding completely on E either. As a third line center with us, I think his numbers would actually increase at least a little bit.

I've wanted to see him in a Wings jersey for a long time, and I'd love to see him come back & finish off his career back in Michigan with the Wings.

I'm sort of whatever about the situation. I wouldn't be terribly happy or upset if he signed or didn't sign. The whole Red Wings offseason has been sort of meh to me. I guess he wouldn't be bad to have as a third line center, veteran, and possibly a second PP unit guy. Him, Hudler, and Franzen wouldn't be a bad PP2.

If it doesn't cost them too much, why not? He is a part time 3rd/4th line guy and should be paid that way. But it would be one of those oddball thins in sports - like seeing Bobby Orr in Blackhawks uniform or Willie Mays in a Mets uniform or Joe Namath in a Rams uniform.....it just wouldn't feel right. Nothing against the guy......

If it doesn't cost them too much, why not? He is a part time 3rd/4th line guy and should be paid that way. But it would be one of those oddball thins in sports - like seeing Bobby Orr in Blackhawks uniform or Willie Mays in a Mets uniform or Joe Namath in a Rams uniform.....it just wouldn't feel right. Nothing against the guy......

I can see it that way, but at least this would be with his hometown team.

My blueadams hockey style post:

This could be interesting if Modano signs... already the top two lines are:

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Hudler

They already signed Miller, and need to sign Helm, Abdelkader, and Eaves (I believe they are trying to retain them all). Bertuzzi and Cleary I imagine round out the third line wingers. In addition, Ritola has to clear waivers if he's sent down again. That already is seven guys for six spots. And the Wings only have about 4.5 million left of cap space. It should be interesting how the Wings round out the fourth line if Modano ends up signing with the Wings.

I'm guessing that maybe Eaves would not be resigned? I'd think they want to keep Helm and Abdelkader, both with the NHL club, and not have one of them sit in the press box. Ritola is signed for cheap the next three years so no need to give up up for free a la Quincey (maybe try to trade him?). Also, Holland doesn't seem so against resigning Maltby (kill me now). I really wish we didn't sign Bertuzzi and that Draper and Maltby weren't in the picture. It just adds to the strangeness that will be the Wings bottom six next year.

Anyways I'm rambling. I hope Modano makes his mind up soon.

I see the lineups as

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Franzen- Filpulla-Hudler

Cleary-Modano-Bertuzzi

Abdelkader-Helm-Draper

(Ritola/Miller)

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Ericsson-FA Signing

(Kindl)

Howard

Osgood

I dont see Eaves back and I think Maltby is done. Actually I see that Holland said he wants Eaves back....Hmm, wonder if we are going to see a trade this offseason, because we are going to have too many forwards.

Modano scored 20 goals translated to a full 82 game schedule last year. Getting that production for that price is good regardless of age. Putting him here, in Detroit, with better forwards, better coaching and a winning culture would likely rejuvenate him. I'd expect him to score around 20 goals.

I want him here.

Modano scored 20 goals translated to a full 82 game schedule last year. Getting that production for that price is good regardless of age. Putting him here, in Detroit, with better forwards, better coaching and a winning culture would likely rejuvenate him. I'd expect him to score around 20 goals.

I want him here.

Dalls has allthose things..they are far from patsises..not sure why we are signing 40 year old marshmellow soft centers, when they need to be grittier and it steals PT from Abdelkader and Helm..pretty curious.

Why do they need to be grittier? People have been saying the Wings needed to be tougher for 15 years..that's just not the kind of team they are. Not to mention the NHL is trying everything they can to make this a finesse league.

Adding Modano adds offensive depth. Are you upset they re-acquired Hudler because he's marshmallow soft? Right now they have Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Abdelkader, Draper, etc as "gritty" forwards. Sure, they're no Tkachuk in his heyday, but the Wings aren't completely soft, but you're dreaming if you think they're going to become a gritty team anytime soon. Gritty teams are gritty because they don't have as much talent as Detroit does.

Why do they need to be grittier? People have been saying the Wings needed to be tougher for 15 years..that's just not the kind of team they are. Not to mention the NHL is trying everything they can to make this a finesse league.

Adding Modano adds offensive depth. Are you upset they re-acquired Hudler because he's marshmallow soft? Right now they have Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Abdelkader, Draper, etc as "gritty" forwards. Sure, they're no Tkachuk in his heyday, but the Wings aren't completely soft, but you're dreaming if you think they're going to become a gritty team anytime soon. Gritty teams are gritty because they don't have as much talent as Detroit does.

Hudler isn't 40..and undecided if he wants to continue his career. Modano leaving Dallas to play at 40 in Detroit is tantamount to Yzerman leaving Detroit to play at Dallas at 40...Dalls has some pretty savvy hockey people..they win every year.

I'd kind of like to see this happen. A third line center with Modano's skill set, even if it is declining, should add some nice depth to the team. This teams offense wasn't great last year, sure there where injuries involved, but that wasn't everything, and some help would be nice. His 14 goals last year would have been 6th on the team last year.

I'd love to see this happen....the Stars are retooling. Makes no sense for them to give up $$$ and a spot to a 40 year-old. The Wings are within striking distance of the Cup...go for it now and then manage the transition from the old guard of Draper, Modano, Bert and Cleary et al. to guys like Joakim Andersson, Gustav Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Landon Ferraro and the kids they drafted this year (I think Holland had a very good draft this year, BTW).

If Kenny keeps us from falling apart completely while building the next cup contender out of the above listed guys and an eventual FA signing or two...he's definitely a Hall of Fame GM...

steals PT from Abdelkader

I'm perfectly OK with that.

Helm will make up the playing time on special teams.

Guess not..but I'm old friends with Jim Lites..:happy:

Its taken almost 5 years but this very well could be the closest Sportz has ever come to admitting he's wrong about something. :shocked:

I don't think it really compares to your comparisons of Orr, Mays or Namath. Like drownwithyou said, this would be Modano coming back to finish his career where he was born. If anything, I think it will look a lot more weird to people outside of Detroit, but here, nearly everyone who watches hockey knows that Modano is from Michigan.

Dalls has allthose things..they are far from patsises..not sure why we are signing 40 year old marshmellow soft centers, when they need to be grittier and it steals PT from Abdelkader and Helm..pretty curious.

Just wondering, what exactly you think Abdelkader did that was so great for us last year? 3 goals, 3 assists, -11 in 50 games.....not really worried about someone taking playing time from him.

I think Vonlenska already made it clear that Modano wasn't in the same situation on Dallas that he would be with the Wings. He would clearly have a better overall team around him & more importantly, would have better line mates here.

Just wondering, what exactly you think Abdelkader did that was so great for us last year? 3 goals, 3 assists, -11 in 50 games.....not really worried about someone taking playing time from him.

I think Vonlenska already made it clear that Modano wasn't in the same situation on Dallas that he would be with the Wings. He would clearly have a better overall team around him & more importantly, would have better line mates here.

Abdelkader = Kirk Maltby (in his younger days)

Helm = Kris Draper

There is no = for Darren McCarty since hockey is so different these days.

That's a rather over-saturated and lazy opinion in my mind. Just because someone is a gritty 4th liner, and one is fast, hardly makes them Maltby or Draper.