Buddha

The Official 2010-2011 English Premier League Thread

Credit to Howard Webb for knocking us out of the Cup.

Just a shameful performance from a guy that I consider to be a pretty good referee.

Proud of my Reds for what I think was a great performance despite playing down a man (awful, awful red on Gerrard) and being down one goal early due to a ATROCIOUS penalty given to Dimitar.

Welcome back to King Kenny however.

Credit to Howard Webb for knocking us out of the Cup.

Just a shameful performance from a guy that I consider to be a pretty good referee.

Proud of my Reds for what I think was a great performance despite playing down a man (awful, awful red on Gerrard) and being down one goal early due to a ATROCIOUS penalty given to Dimitar.

Welcome back to King Kenny however.

Dodgy penalty.

Clear red card. Two footed challenge by Gerrard that got no ball and all Carrick = sending off. But I can see how a Liverpool fan wouldn't realize that considering they've been watching Gerrard dive and foul his way without any cards for the last decade. It's about time somebody sent his cheating *** off during a game.

You'll have to understand Buddha that I just finished watching the match so I'm a little steamed.

I watched the Gerrard play again and I'll concur that you're correct. I guess I'm a little stunned that Stevie brought out such an old weapon (not meant to be a positive thing) out of his arsenal. The timing wasn't terrible but the execution was off. You're right.

You'll have to understand Buddha that I just finished watching the match so I'm a little steamed.

I watched the Gerrard play again and I'll concur that you're correct. I guess I'm a little stunned that Stevie brought out such an old weapon (not meant to be a positive thing) out of his arsenal. The timing wasn't terrible but the execution was off. You're right.

Honestly, I'm surprised they haven't sold Torres. Or, more surprising, is that he hasn't demanded to be sold.

That being said, they are as close to Europe next year as they are to the relegation zone, and they have games in hand over their closest competitors. If Liverpool went out and bought a player or two, they'd be right in the hunt for the Europa League next season. The Champs League may be beyond them this year and next.

I like the Football Cup for their David vs Goliath matchups. I saw the Stevenage 3-1 Newcastle upset on FSC, and I enjoyed the Leicester City equalizer to steal a 2-2 draw from Man City.

I'm rooting for Stevenage because this is their first year in the Football League ever, and I love Cinderella stories. They drew Reading who are a Level 2 club, so they're still playing above themselves. They play Reading at home, too. How cool it would be if Stevenage could manage to squeak by Reading into the Fifth Round proper, one of 16 teams left?

Although: if Crawley Town can put one over on Derby County, then the resulting Fourth Round match will definitely include either a League Two or -- *gasp!* -- a Conference National team in the Fifth Round. Blimey!

Well, since these football clubs are independent businesses and not franchises of any league, they certainly have that right.

Within the context of the game at the time, they were the equivalent or the two though. The context is very, very different today

Your second sentence makes the point of your first sentence irrelevant.

Your second sentence makes the point of your first sentence irrelevant.

But that was my original point - they were as bad relative to the state of the league at the time. I think.

Well, since these football clubs are independent businesses and not franchises of any league, they certainly have that right.

Sure - and when the money runs out... That's the problem - financial models are totally screwed, in part by the sorts of inflation that clubs like Crawley (and Fulham and Blackburn and Cardiff etc...) create.

Seriously - there's little or no sustainability in the game, especially below the top 20 or so clubs.

But that was my original point - they were as bad relative to the state of the league at the time. I think.

So making one big signing every other year (along with a couple of ancillary signings) is as bad as buying an entirely new team every transfer period?

You said United were as bad as Chelsea and City combined right now. I think that's unsupportable.

We're United the richest team in England? of course. But that's because they were a classic team that had had success and because they were the first to become a PLC. So history and business acumen got them where they were. And then, of course, they actually WON THINGS.

Chelsea got rich because someone who happened to be hooked up with the right people in Russia watched a - ironically - United-Madrid match and fancied himself a soccer fan. So he spent 300 million on players and bought himself a couple titles. City got rich because the human rights abuser who owned the team got himself convicted of torture and had his bak accounts frozen and the oil barons who have nothing better to do with their money decided to buy a team to advertise their tourism business.

Once club had won things and then made oodles of money partly because of it. The other two had oodles of money bestowed upon them and then won because of that.

There's no comparing the two, IMO. United could just have easily been Newcastle, Leeds, Arsenal or Villa if it weren't for SAF, the business acumen of the club, and the scouting acumen of the club.

Would you compare united to the red sox rather than the Yankees? That seems relatively comparable.

Is citeh the marlins of 1997? I guess they would have to win first.

United seems like the red wings actually.

I think united gets a bad rap.

Edited by Shelton

Would you compare united to the red sox rather than the Yankees? That seems relatively comparable.

Is citeh the marlins of 1997? I guess they would have to win first.

United seems like the red wings actually.

I think united gets a bad rap.

I don't know if there are any comparisons to baseball. The Red Wings are the best comparable.

City? City would be if the White Sox were bought by the country of Saudi Arabia and immediately signed Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander, Carl Crawford, Miguel Cabrera, Derek Jeter, and Evan Longoria and then started talking about how they are revolutionizing baseball.

TANGERIIIIINES!

red_dawn_wolverines.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1270481950429

(OK, not exactly the right picture ... )

Kenny's Kingdom in tatters! Blackpool score an impressive three from Liverpool at home. Now sitting at 28 points and the top half of the table tonight, if they can take three at West Brom, that puts them within striking distance of contending for Europe next year!

I know, it's pie in the sky, but a boy can dream, can't he? I mean, didn't everybody expect this side to languish in the drop zone all season?

Their biggest challenge is going to be keeping Charlie Adam in the fold during the transfer window, but if they can do that, I'd say they're just about a lock to play in Barclay's next year, at the very least.

I don't know if there are any comparisons to baseball. The Red Wings are the best comparable.

City? City would be if the White Sox were bought by the country of Saudi Arabia and immediately signed Cliff Lee, CC Sabathia, Justin Verlander, Carl Crawford, Miguel Cabrera, Derek Jeter, and Evan Longoria and then started talking about how they are revolutionizing baseball.

City really isnt getting that kind of talent though, they are more like the Redskins in football, buying a whole lot of players and spending a lot of money but still dont have any real superstars.

City really isnt getting that kind of talent though, they are more like the Redskins in football, buying a whole lot of players and spending a lot of money but still dont have any real superstars.

David Villa and Carlos Tevez are star players.

You're right in a way, but City simply pays 10x the going rate for good players and 30x the going rate for really good players.

David Villa and Carlos Tevez are star players.

You're right in a way, but City simply pays 10x the going rate for good players and 30x the going rate for really good players.

David Villa is a superstar

david_villa_barca.jpg

David Silva however is a real good player, maybe future superstar but I dont think he is quite there yet. You are right, Tevez is though.

They should splash the cash for "real superstars" like Mutu or Sheva.

Wolves currently lead city at the half hour.

I've got that game on tv and the chelski game on espn3.

Wife is out of the house for the day.

City with the equalizer just now in the 40th minute. Two ugly goals in this game has it knotted up.

WOW.

Back to back goals by citeh put this one out of reach for Wolves. The Tevez goal was very well done, but the link up on the advantage play for the Toure goal was magnificent.

Time to move on to a different match.

WOW.

Back to back goals by citeh put this one out of reach for Wolves. The Tevez goal was very well done, but the link up on the advantage play for the Toure goal was magnificent.

Time to move on to a different match.

You missed Wolves hit the bar against the first violators of FIFA's financial fair play law...

Yeah, looks like I missed another goal and a penalty.

But I did catch Chelsea's goal.