Buddha

The Official 2010-2011 English Premier League Thread

Its a tabloid but I wonder if this feature is far from the mark

Wayne Rooney will quit Manchester United in January after his war with Sir Alex Ferguson has gone beyond repair. Manchester City, Barcelona, and Real Madrid prepare for a sensational transfer swoop - World Exclusive - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Club insiders accept that Rooney’s relationship with Ferguson is beyond repair after they clashed over recent revelations about the England international’s sex shame and the subsequent decision to leave the striker out of United’s team.

Chief executive David Gill is now ready to sanction the most sensational transfer in United’s history. [...]

A furious Ferguson reacted by telling Rooney that his unacceptable behaviour had brought the world’s most famous club into disrepute.

The backlash from Rooney came when he was left out of the squad for the trip to his former club Everton a week after the allegations broke. Ferguson explained that he was protecting the striker from humiliation at the hands of fans who have never forgiven him for quitting Goodison in a £20million deal in 2004.

But behind the scenes, the United boss made it clear to Rooney that his decision was based on his personal disgust about the allegations and his belief that the striker’s form would suffer.

Since then the bond between Ferguson and Rooney has been severed completely.

The United boss told Rooney that his star is beginning to fade because of off-field destractions. His hardline stance continued when he hauled the striker off with United chasing the game at Bolton.

The United boss informed Rooney that he was set to give him a three-week break from the team and would use an ankle injury as a smokescreen.

When Ferguson asked Rooney to withdraw from the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, the striker refused. Ferguson felt humiliated when Rooney subsequently played 90 minutes for Fabio Capello before announcing that he had never been less than 100% fit.

SAF has sat Rooney and referenced injuries that Rooney has claimed do not exist. That's why I think maybe there is something to this, Rooney has directly rebuked/contradicted SAF in the press already.

The Birmingham-Arsenal game yesterday had some nice highlights.

Birmingham took the lead when their 6'8" striker Zigic hit home a header. Later, Arsenal tied it when Chamakh dove in the box for a PK that Nasri hit home. Chamakh was not touched on the play.

Chamakh then showed fantastic footwork in the box to knock home the winner, one of those fantastic Arsenal finesse goals (helped along by some bad defending). Another notable highlight was Wilshere's ridiculous straight-red tackle near the end.

MOTD feature is available here but its 11 minutes long. Arsenal 2 - Birmingham 1 (MOTD)

You forgot about Wilshere's studs up lunge (and sending off) on Zigic in stoppage time. Another embarassing moment for Wenger after all the moaning he has done about dirty tackles.

Chelsea draw Aston Villa, Man City get within 2 pts. Not too worried about that result, Chelsea was missing a lot of players.

You forgot about Wilshere's studs up lunge (and sending off) on Zigic in stoppage time. Another embarassing moment for Wenger after all the moaning he has done about dirty tackles.

I think I mentioned it at the end of my post. Anyways, Wenger didn't dispute the red at all so I don't think it is embarrassing for him. Tackles like that will happen but when they do they deserve punishment.

Not much settled in the bottom of the basement battle

Wolves and West Ham draw 1-1. Wolves score first, but West Ham draws even on a penalty early in the second half.

Much needed point though, after this last month.

Wayne Rooney declares his intention to walk out on Manchester United | Football | The Guardian

Wayne Rooney has thrown Manchester United's season into a state of turmoil after informing the club he has no plans to sign another contract and intends to find new employers. Rooney's decision is based on serious differences with Sir Alex Ferguson, the Guardian understands, and will be a devastating blow to the supporters who have come to regard him as a talismanic figure in this troubled era under Malcolm Glazer's ownership.

I think I mentioned it at the end of my post. Anyways, Wenger didn't dispute the red at all so I don't think it is embarrassing for him. Tackles like that will happen but when they do they deserve punishment.

Sorry about that, no idea how I missed it.

Agreed entirely about the tackle, it was late and hard, not malicious but reckless and could have been a leg-breaker. You'd just wish Wenger would be as understanding when his club is on the receiving end.

West Brom look like a useful side, as do Blackpool, who gave us all we could handle today and were unlucky not to take something from the game. Both teams play some good stuff and I hope they stay up..

Just saw Silva's goal on the highlight show on FSD. That was a pretty sweet goal. But Blackpool's defense looked a lot like a weak varsity team playing a state contender stabbing at the ball the way they did, allowing that goal to happen.

A lot of offense in the final 1/4th of that match.

Again, I regretfully cannot post in here nor follow a the discussion simply because I tape and watch all EPL matches throughout the week.

Just finished with my Reds at Everton. Simply a sickening effort and one that didn't surprise me. Roy, admittedly, has big, big problems and I feel for the guy. Tactically, he's lost. I think he has a fair amount of quality, but the form of many of the key personnel is lacking severely. Cole has been awful but nobody has looked more confused than Torres. Gerrard is taking a long, long time building any sort of rapport with Meireles. I've always backed Babel (although he's looked poor in his rare appearances) to be in the Starting XI as he creates a lot more than Maxi. Defensively, not too bad, but definitely not top-5 worthy. Carra is showing his old passion, but he's obviously much too slow. Konchesky has looked good and Agger and Skrtel give me few worries, as long as they can get and stay healthy.

I don't see this struggle ending time soon. Much like this post, Roy's Reds look like a rambling, confused, and disoriented bunch.

God help save the Reds.

How confident are we that Liverpool will avoid relegation? It would have seemed nuts before the season but they continue to look terrible, game after game. In particular Torres is a ghost and the link-up to him has been awful from what I've seen.

If I were a Liverpool fan the most worrying thing would be the lack of a siege mentality. Level on points with rock-bottom West Ham, just lost to bitter local enemies in convincing fashion, and here's Woy smiling ear-to-ear as he shakes Moyes's hand at the end of the match. Huh?

I just can't imagine Liverpool relegated. I mean, it's Liverpool.

Anyone else watch the Blackburn/Sunderland match? It was a good way of killing time at work today.

Liverpool 2010 = United in 2012

The chickens have come home to roost for clubs bought on the backs of borrowing billions.

Wayne Rooney of Manchester United confirms he wants out - ESPN

"I met with David Gill last week and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad," Rooney said Wednesday in a statement. "I then told him that I would not be signing a new contract. I was interested to hear what Sir Alex had to say yesterday and surprised by some of it.

"It is absolutely true, as he said, that my agent and I have had a number of meetings with the club about a new contract. During those meetings in August, I asked for assurances about the continued ability of the club to attract the top players in the world."

"I have never had anything but complete respect for MUFC. How could I not have done given its fantastic history and especially the last six years in which I have been lucky to play a part?" Rooney said. "For me its all about winning trophies -- as the club has always done under Sir Alex. Because of that I think the questions I was asking were justified.

"Despite recent difficulties, I know I will always owe Sir Alex Ferguson a huge debt. He is a great manager and mentor who has helped and supported me from the day he signed me from Everton when I was only 18. For Manchester United's sake, I wish he could go on forever because he's a one off and a genius."

And to make matters worse for Man U, it seems the two teams who will come with the best offers (at this point, Real will probably join the race) are Man City and Chelsea

Chelsea prepare £20m bid for unsettled Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney - Telegraph

Chelsea prepare £20m bid for unsettled Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney

Although the offer would fall far short of the expected £35 million bid by Manchester City, sources suggested on Tuesday night that Chelsea believe they may be favourites to secure the Manchester United striker because Sir Alex Ferguson would rather sell to them.

Indeed it is understood that Chelsea have been closely tracking Rooney's situation for several months after being alerted that he may not be happy at Old Trafford and was open to the idea of leaving with less than two years on his contract.

Real Madrid are the only other club seriously in the running to sign the 24 year-old, but it is uncertain what kind of offer they are considering, especially as they would prefer to wait until the summer before making a move.

United will make it clear to all suitors that they want to do a deal sooner than that. This is largely because the value of striker will have diminished by the end of the season, when he will enter the final year of his contract, and also because Ferguson has decided he wants the player to leave as soon as possible to cause minimum disruption.

Although Rooney is, according to sources, "100 per cent sure he wants to move" and is prepared to join City, who will also offer him by far the biggest wages, he is believed to be keen on Chelsea.

Ferguson, who has been given a mandate to sell by United's American owners the Glazers, would ideally prefer Rooney to leave the Premier League and move abroad.

Real are the most likely to make an offer and there are undoubtedly players, particularly Karim Benzema and Kaka, in whom United would be interested, especially as it is understood that a straight cash deal would involve a large portion of the money going to Everton as a sell-on fee, believed to be 25 per cent of any profit United make on Rooney.

Real have already made it known that they are looking to offload certain players, and that list includes Lassana Diarra and Fernando Gago. However, Rooney has also indicated he would rather stay in England.

Chelsea's interest in Rooney is long-standing and manager Carlo Ancelotti, who is pushing for the signing, is an avowed fan, having praised the striker last season for his performances. On the eve of Chelsea's Champions League tie against Spartak Moscow, Ancelotti admitted he would be interested.

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is, according to sources close to him, still hoping to sign Fernando Torres having had a long-standing interest in the Liverpool striker.

A bid was lodged in the summer, and although this fell below Liverpool's valuation, the club's plight, and the Spaniard's unhappiness, may lead to Chelsea making a renewed offer in the next transfer window.

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that they could bid for both Rooney and Torres, with one source suggesting on Tuesday that this was "Roman's dream".

Quite where that would leave Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka remains to be seen, although Chelsea are acutely aware that they will have to eventually replace their main strikers, who are both over 30.

The likelihood is that Chelsea will not offer enough for Rooney to convince United to sell to them, rather than City. It will also be difficult to persuade Abramovich to increase his bid given the player's contract situation and the personal problems he has faced.

He will want to drive a hard bargain for Rooney, who could buy himself out of the final year of his deal for about £5 million next summer. "Why would someone pay the market rate right now?" one source said on Tuesday night.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp alluded to this on Tuesday night when he said: "It's an amazing situation that Rooney could become a free agent, someone who is worth £50-60 million.

"He's in a situation whereby if he does not want to sign a contract then in 18 months he is a free agent. He's in a position where if someone gives him personally £30 million then he is still a cheap player. He can go down that road and Man United can do nothing about it."

Hard to blame Rooney in my opinion, the Glazers have something like £1 billion in debt and are not spending what is necessary to replace Ronaldo nor prepare for the eventual departures of Scholes and Giggs. Rooney can get significantly better wages elsewhere and have a better chance to win trophies. Madrid makes the most sense to me notwithstanding that some think Rooney is an idiot "scouser" unable to live in Spain because of cultural differences, which I don't believe to be true.

Wouldn't totally rule out that he'll re-sign with United though.

Hard to blame Rooney in my opinion, the Glazers have something like £1 billion in debt and are not spending what is necessary to replace Ronaldo nor prepare for the eventual departures of Scholes and Giggs. Rooney can get significantly better wages elsewhere and have a better chance to win trophies. Madrid makes the most sense to me notwithstanding that some think Rooney is an idiot "scouser" unable to live in Spain because of cultural differences, which I don't believe to be true.

Yea, if (more liekly when) Madrid gets involved I bet that is the likely destination. They have been less than impressed with Higuan and especially Benzema and they are one who likes to make a big move and has the bank of Spain behind them. I wonder if Man U would want Benzema from Madrid as part of a deal, gives them a competent replacement. Barca has apparently no interest, they have Villa and Messi already. I think Chelsea/Man City and Madrid well end up the 3 main players.

Edited by Johnny Mac

You're buying hype.

Rooney wants 250,000 pounds a week and United won't give it to him. It doesn't have anything to do with trophies.

Of course Rooney is an idiot scouser, but that doesn't mean he couldn't live in Spain. Sure he could, you don't have to be smart to live in Spain.

United have been trying to replace Giggs/Scholes for the last decade, they just haven't been able to do it. It's not from lack of trying (see Anderson, Nani, Carrick, Obertan, etc, attempted buys of Ramsey, Mikel). Fergie almost always (almost) buys young and tries to develop talent. But they haven't developed enough lately and they're paying for it now.

Although Nani is the real deal. Obertan might be pretty good too.

Rooney wants 250,000 pounds a week

There is only one club who will give him that.

I think Chelsea and Real (in that order) are the two best fits for him and Taggart will put out all the stops to move him there (in reverse order) in January. If his only desire is to be the highest paid player in the world he will wait until June if he has to, when he can buy out his contract and sign with City.

No matter how much I hate United it is not acceptable for a player to mail it in for x amount of months with his current employers in order to see out a massive payday. It will be the most contentious signing in City's history as it is; if it comes on the back of 12 months of **** football he'll be even more hated.

I personally hope he is off to Spain in January.

There is only one club who will give him that.

I think Chelsea and Real (in that order) are the two best fits for him and Taggart will put out all the stops to move him there (in reverse order) in January. If his only desire is to be the highest paid player in the world he will wait until June if he has to, when he can buy out his contract and sign with City.

No matter how much I hate United it is not acceptable for a player to mail it in for x amount of months with his current employers in order to see out a massive payday. It will be the most contentious signing in City's history as it is; if it comes on the back of 12 months of **** football he'll be even more hated.

I personally hope he is off to Spain in January.

I don't know why he would want to stay in england given the tabloid obsession with him.

If he does, it wouldn't surprise me if he went to City. United won't sell him to them, but he might go there on a free. If I'm United, I let him rot. If he wants out and no one will pay their price, then he can sit for another year and a half and see if someone wants to give a guy who hasn't scored from open play in 2 years a 250,000 a week contract.

City might do it, they're that obsessed.

I don't know if Real would still want him that badly. Unlike City, they ain't made of money. Might send Benzema back to lessen the cash load. If that's the case, see you later Wayne, you've been terrible since Munich and if you really think we're buying the "the club doesn't match my ambition" line, well, then we've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn that's for sale...

You're buying hype.

Rooney wants 250,000 pounds a week and United won't give it to him. It doesn't have anything to do with trophies.

I think trophies matter to him only to the extent they increase his income. EPL/Champions League contender makes him more visible, more endorsements, than Europa League. Straight wages are probably the dominant reason though yeah.