ronniereb

Cliff Lee

What the hell is so great about this year? Why does every year have to be the year we go for it? Maybe we should try being the Rays and just get lots of good players in a great farm system so that we don't have to keep considering blowing up the system on a prayer of winning the division. Even if they traded for Lee and won the division, does anyone think the Tigers are good enough to beat make it to the WS or win it? I don't.

With Verlander and Lee, UM Yes!!!!!!!!

What the hell is so great about this year? Why does every year have to be the year we go for it? Maybe we should try being the Rays and just get lots of good players in a great farm system so that we don't have to keep considering blowing up the system on a prayer of winning the division. Even if they traded for Lee and won the division, does anyone think the Tigers are good enough to beat make it to the WS or win it? I don't.

I think adding an arm like Haren or Lee would give them a pretty good shot to make the playoffs. After that, who knows? Did anyone think they were going to go all the way to the World Series in '06?

Did you mean to reply to me?

Yes, you're suggesting we only have Lee for 3 months and I'm saying he could get us to the WS, sorry if I misinterpeted your post

Yes, you're suggesting we only have Lee for 3 months and I'm saying he could get us to the WS, sorry if I misinterpeted your post

Ah. I was talking about the terms of Haren's current contract which includes a team buyout for $3.5 mil.

Ah. I was talking about the terms of Haren's current contract which includes a team buyout for $3.5 mil.

Sorry, I gotta go but I enjoyed the beating

With Verlander and Lee, UM Yes!!!!!!!!

The Tigers still wouldn't be nearly as good as the Yankees. They still don't hit the ball ever, remember?

I think adding an arm like Haren or Lee would give them a pretty good shot to make the playoffs. After that, who knows? Did anyone think they were going to go all the way to the World Series in '06?

Sure, but I don't like bailing on all the good system prospects for "a pretty good shot to make the playoffs." You should go ask the Dodgers how that's working out.

The Tigers still wouldn't be nearly as good as the Yankees. They still don't hit the ball ever, remember?

Great pitching beats great hitting, think Schilling and Johnson over the Yanks, that Diamondback team did not exactly mash.

Sure, but I don't like bailing on all the good system prospects for "a pretty good shot to make the playoffs." You should go ask the Dodgers how that's working out.

Do the Tigers have to bail on all the good system prospects to get Haren? I assume they would if they wanted Lee.

Do the Tigers have to bail on all the good system prospects to get Haren? I assume they would if they wanted Lee.

Lee isn't even on Dombrowski's radar..he doesn't fit his plan..The deal is a gem for the Twins..they know they won't sign him..they can't afford him. But.. it's like trading Ramos for 2 first rounders plus the use of Lee for a half season..prety sweet haul.

Ramos is pretty useless to the Twins with Mauer as their catcher..the deal doesn't offer nearly the same tradeoff to the Tigers..

Edited by sportz4life

I don't either. That's why I'd be more interested in seeing them going after Haren even though he'd cost more.

Not all stretch-run acquisitions turn out like the team getting the help would like. I offer Jarrod Washburn and Audrey Hepburn as examples. I'd rather the Tigers stand pat.
Don't even mention Audrey Hepburn and Jarrod Washburn in the same breath. She's a knock out in a black dress and Washburn gives trash drag a bad name when he wears one.

Great pitching beats great hitting, think Schilling and Johnson over the Yanks, that Diamondback team did not exactly mash.

The Yanks don't have great pitching?

Here's a crazy thought and I'm not even convinced yet myself that it's a good idea, but what about signing Washburn? He obviously earned no fans in the few months he was here, but his knee should be healed, his arm fresh and the guy wouldn't cost us any prospects. Also, if he really wants to pitch this year then he shouldn't come with a hefty price tag. Sign him soon, stick him in Toledo for 5 starts and see what he can do in August. If Oliver isn't working out then they swap spots and we have a lefty in our rotation. It seems paramount that we have a starting LHP against the likes of Minnesota if we want the division.

I think a lot will ride on how Rick Porcello does in Toledo. His first start was a gem. If he has a few more of those, the Tigers may not feel the need to go out and get another SP.

Personally, I'd rather see them get a position player who can hit terrible pitchers. That's a valuable commodity around these parts.

I think a lot will ride on how Rick Porcello does in Toledo. His first start was a gem. If he has a few more of those, the Tigers may not feel the need to go out and get another SP.

Personally, I'd rather see them get a position player who can hit terrible pitchers. That's a valuable commodity around these parts.

His second start was pretty crappy though.

Yeah, Porcello looked awful in his 2nd start. Almost everything he was throwing was being hit. He wasn't fooling anyone.

Don't even mention Audrey Hepburn and Jarrod Washburn in the same breath. She's a knock out in a black dress and Washburn gives trash drag a bad name when he wears one.

Got to agree with that, Washburn in drag is sort of a poor man's Amy Winehouse. He's like Amy too in that he actually looks worse with his armpits shaved.

Actually they are pretty similar. Hepburn, as you said, is a knock out and Washburn gets knocked out by the 3rd inning.

I wasn't comparing them to Lee or anybody else. I was just giving examples of trade deadline deals that didn't work as well as the team getting them had hoped. The same could happen for the team that gets Cliff Lee.