PreserveAWin

Which blown call pissed you off more?

I'm pretty sure that I'll be in the minority here, but the faux third strike call against Damon pissed me off more than the blown call to spoil Armando's perfect game. It cost us a chance to win the game.

Team wins and losses come before historical accomplishments. For those that say it's only one game, they need not look any further than last season as to how important one game can be.

What do you think?

I'd say the one that cost the Tigers a chance to tie the game-so I'm in agreement. I'm getting over my anger, though it may very well come back if the Tigers finish one game back.

But the non-call on the Inge HBP in game 163 of last season is one that will keep me angry for longer...

I was more PO'd about the blown strike call because it cost the Tigers a 4-4 game with the bases still juiced. With the Galarraga call, the Tigers still won.

The one that peeved me the most was in 1983.

Tom Brookens made a diving grab of a hot shot to 3rd. He got up and threw to first, beating Ben Oglivie by a step.

He was called safe.

I'll never get over it.

Edited by Antrat

The Damon call is more egregious. It reeked of an ump wanting to go home. With the perfect game, you knew the umps wanted to make the right call and he honestly got it wrong. I have much less of a problem with that in hindsight. I have no faith that Cederstrom wasn't just ready to be done for the day.

With a lot of sadness, the chance of Armando Galarraga going in the history books for an historic outing was most disappointing. Baseball is a game about winning first, but it is also a game about statistics and records - and unless the ruling of the non-perfect game is overturned there will be a permanent blot on MLB.

My hope of hope is that there will be some kind of announcement from the Commissioner's office at the All Star Game overturning the ruling that Galarraga didn't throw a perfect game.

Barry

My hope of hope is that there will be some kind of announcement from the Commissioner's office at the All Star Game overturning the ruling that Galarraga didn't throw a perfect game.

I think that ship has sailed. :ermm:

For me, the Galarraga call pisses me off the most. Perfect games are rare, so there's a good chance none of us will see a Tiger pitcher throw one. Outside of the one we saw, of course, but it's not "official" or Bud-certified.

The non-call on the Inge HBP cost us the playoffs. It wasn't romanced at the time, but to me that was the worst blown call against the Tigers in my memory.

Definitely the Galarraga call. It's 20 times in over 100 years that we see a perfect game. We see wins 2,400 times per year.

Definitely the Galarraga call. It's 20 times in over 100 years that we see a perfect game. We see wins 2,400 times per year.

I hope I am wrong, but a big thing for me is that is as good as Armando is every going to be... not only did he not get a perfect game, he didn't get a no hitter... No one ever thought Galarraga was going to get a no no.

I can get over a bad strike call, but the Perfect game...will annoy me for many years, until commissioner George Bush awards the perfect game

Tonight reminded me of why I don't like Galarraga as a pitcher. Maybe I'm biased by the fact that I feel that way. In other words, had it happend to Verlander, I'd be a little more upset.

Currently, it's the BS strike on Damon because of what everyone has already said, and the fact that it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

But on a personal note, I'll always be pissed about that Galarraga call simply because I was at the game in the 3rd row, right next to first base. I had the video camera rolling on my iPhone & caught the whole thing including the crowd beginning to celebrate & then everyone just shocked, and standing around in disbelief. I'm pretty much over it now, but every time I hear the "nearly perfect game" mentioned, or see/hear anything about it, I still shake my head.

Currently, it's the BS strike on Damon because of what everyone has already said, and the fact that it's still pretty fresh in my mind.

But on a personal note, I'll always be pissed about that Galarraga call simply because I was at the game in the 3rd row, right next to first base. I had the video camera rolling on my iPhone & caught the whole thing including the crowd beginning to celebrate & then everyone just shocked, and standing around in disbelief. I'm pretty much over it now, but every time I hear the "nearly perfect game" mentioned, or see/hear anything about it, I still shake my head.

Wow, you got some first-person video of an unusual historic event. You should post that on YouTube.

I think umps routinely blow ball and strike calls badly, so I didn't think the Damon call was that big of a deal. It's a very subjective thing. More importantly, there were lots of other things you could blame for the Tigers losing the game. It was their own fault they lost the game. I don't think it compares to the Galarraga game.

The only that makes the Damon call a little less bad is that if the Tiger hitters had been watching/talking to each other, Damon would/should have known he had already called several strikes out there (as per pitch FX). If it had been the ump's only call out there, that would have been a pretty raw time to do it, but judging from the charts the Tigs at least had some forewarning that the strike zone was inconsistent and wide. Which is no excuse for how bad the ump was, but sometimes you get the impression some tigers would rather stand on principle and K on a bad call than win the damn game - not so much Damon, but Maggs and Cabby more so - then again maybe that's what makes them great hitters the rest of the time.

The non-call on the Inge HBP cost us the playoffs. It wasn't romanced at the time, but to me that was the worst blown call against the Tigers in my memory.

In the 9th inning of that same game with runners on the corners and nobody down saw Polanco punched out on a pitch that had to be at least 6 inches inside as well.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth