Yoda

Zumaya injury...

Looks like he's pretty much done. For the year, for forever, who knows, but he blew out what looks to be his elbow, went down in a heap of pain after a pitch.

You really gotta feel bad for this kid. As many times he's had to work to come back, and then this happens.

I fear this might be a career-ender. Laird said casually while being interviewed that he heard a pop. If he could hear it in a stadium filled with people from 60 feet away, it had to be major.

This puts me in mind of the Dave Dravecky situation. Please, God, don't let it be that.

Ruptured tendon is usually 8 weeks + rehab.... may be back towards end of year. But most likely considering his injury history Tigers won't push it.

i think if he comes back at any point this year it would be a miracle considering his reaction after the incident

He would be throwing left handed..

Its his UCL I will almost gurantee that..he's gone until the AS break next year.

Thats my thinking as well, my other thought would be maybe a dislocated elbow which would put him out the rest of this year most likely as well.

Ruptured tendon is usually 8 weeks + rehab.... may be back towards end of year. But most likely considering his injury history Tigers won't push it.

Hopefully it's an 8 week injury but the uncontrolled shaking/throbbing of the hand combined with Joel's screaming was very ominous.

That looked awful. I'm assuming he's done at least for the year. The Tigers beat the Twins at Minnesota to move into first and we still can't enjoy it.

If you think about it, Zumaya throws a baseball about as fast as human limits will allow. Not many guys in the history of baseball have been able to consistently throw 100 MPH like he can. That's alot of stress on the elbow, shoulder, tendons, etc., so it's no wonder he is injury prone. Hopefully it's not as serious as it looks, but from the way he reacted, I'm expecting the worst.

Yup. And its not little aches and pains... he's had some horribly painful injuries. It'd be very hard to keep coming back knowing it's probably just gonna keep happening, for only a few months of being able to pitch, at most.

That looked awful. I'm assuming he's done at least for the year. The Tigers beat the Twins at Minnesota to move into first and we still can't enjoy it.

Agreed on all counts.

I wouldn't be shocked if Zumaya hung it up. It's just not fair the sort of stuff he's had to deal with.

EDIT - I just want to reiterate that Zumaya's fastball is the kind of pitch people will be talking about for as long as baseball is played. His career average fastball is 98.5. This season, it's over 99. Average. It's amazing. When people in 2050 are talking about baseball's legendary fastballs, it's going to be Walter Johnson, Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Joel Zumaya, and probably Stephen Strasburg.

Edited by Eric Cioe

Classic inverted W delivery catches up to yet another pitcher. There simply was no way he could sustain that speed with that delivery. Sorry to see him go but was not at all surprised. Very nasty to watch though.

Having watched Joel train when he couldn't pitch gave me insight to his work ethic. The man is a horse to be ready each year. I've had the moments with his family and Richard and regardless of his past, I believe in the man. Now I have to decide if continuing his dream is really good for him. I know he will do whatever he can to recover.

Phil Coke's post game interview is one of the sadder things I've ever seen in baseball

Seriously. Watching that severely depressed me.

Phil Coke's post game interview is one of the sadder things I've ever seen in baseball

What did he say?

How much correlation is there between amount of pain and seriousness of the injury? I know I'm engaging in wishful thinking here, but maybe it just hurt a lot, but it won't be career-ending. I mean, no matter what it was, he's probably out for the season, but I'm not going to assume anything's career-ending with today's surgical miracles.

With a torn UCL the pain is on the medial side of the elbow.... that is why it is often diagnosed as medial epicondylitis.

Zumaya grabbed the lateral part of his elbow near the radial tuberosity exactly where the distal biceps tendon attaches. "Pops" usually indicated a ruptured tendon. The biceps allows for supination (turning upward of the palm). Joels palm was turned down and he could not supinate and his hand was trembling. The biceps also stabilizes the shoulder and we all know about the surgeries he had on his shoulder.... possible weakening the origination of the biceps muscle. Although rupture of the distal biceps tendon is not common.... at least not in non-athletes... Joel is definitely a unique bird.

When you hear the "POP" of a ruptured tendon and the initial pain could be quite severe it is more scary than anything else.

Of course, I could be wrong.... that is why we do MRI's....

obviously until you see the MRI it is all a guess.

Edited by Ajax

1 new tweet.

1. Jason Beck beckjason

Elbow injury for Zumaya. Will have MRI tomorrow. He's up and walking around clubhouse, arm in sling. He said he'll talk tomorrow.

What did he say?

He looked very upset and basically blamed himself, said that if he'd gotten the man out Zumaya wouldn't have come in in the 7th inning, and would not have gotten injured

Agreed on all counts.

I wouldn't be shocked if Zumaya hung it up. It's just not fair the sort of stuff he's had to deal with.

EDIT - I just want to reiterate that Zumaya's fastball is the kind of pitch people will be talking about for as long as baseball is played. His career average fastball is 98.5. This season, it's over 99. Average. It's amazing. When people in 2050 are talking about baseball's legendary fastballs, it's going to be Walter Johnson, Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax, Nolan Ryan, Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Joel Zumaya, and probably Stephen Strasburg.

Exactly. I've never seen anyone who throws over 100 mph as consistently as Joel.

If he never throws another pitch in his life, he's always a Tiger. I'll never forget how absolutely scary he looked in the 2006 ALDS when the blood vessels in his eye popped; he looked like a slathering monster with one red eye, making the Yankees flail away like chumps.

A few days later, against Oakland in the ALCS, Joel hit 104 on the radar gun.

No matter what happens, he definitely made his mark.