Joec03

Tigers Scouting Dan Haren

OK, but I still would like to see a plus defender out there in LF or RF in some late innings.

Kelley is good enough in CF for whatever rest Jackson needs, which should not be much. If Raburn doesn't start showing some quick power in the ABs Leyland if finding for him, there is no reason for him to be here.

EDIT: Best of all worlds scenario to me would be a catcher that can give us a just a bit of slugging percentage for the last 2 1/2 months

Edited by Gehringer_2

Kelley is good enough in CF for whatever rest Jackson needs, which should not be much. If Raburn doesn't start showing some quick power in the ABs Leyland if finding for him, there is no reason for him to be here.

EDIT: Best of all worlds scenario to me would be a catcher that can give us a just a bit of slugging percentage for the last 2 1/2 months

Probably fits better in the Leyland thread, but Raburn has been good vs lefties and awful vs righties this year, naturally, he has more at bats vs righties than lefties

Meanwhile, Don Kelly, who is bad against both sides (but slightly worse vs lefties) has 10 at bats vs lefties and 95 vs righties

Now, I realize that it's easier to platoon a left hander as their are a lot more right handed pitchers....but come on man. I love Ryan Raburn, but at this point their is 0 reason for him to be starting vs a RHP.

Probably fits better in the Leyland thread, but Raburn has been good vs lefties and awful vs righties this year, naturally, he has more at bats vs righties than lefties

Meanwhile, Don Kelly, who is bad against both sides (but slightly worse vs lefties) has 10 at bats vs lefties and 95 vs righties

Now, I realize that it's easier to platoon a left hander as their are a lot more right handed pitchers....but come on man. I love Ryan Raburn, but at this point their is 0 reason for him to be starting vs a RHP.

No disagreement here. But I've never been a big fan of Raburn anyway (I know - big shock there). But IIRC, one of Raburns big virtues was supposedly that while he slugged better against LHP, he still carried a 300 BA against righties (2009 season splits). Clearly 'regression' to reality has reared it's ugly head in the form of 182/494 BA/OPS against RHP so far this yr.

I just don't see what he is doing here right now. For my money, the safest places to put him are 2b and DH, but there aren't many ABs at 2b and even less at DH. I'd have preferred they traded him or left him in Toledo till really needed and found a part time LH 3b, or even an over the hill DH type that still had some power to carry as a pinch hitter.

The latest from Scott Miller from CBSsports.com

The Weekend Buzz while you were avoiding the summer vampire movies. ...

It's been a tough season for Dan Haren and the Diamondbacks. (Getty Images) 1. Hairy, er, Haren situation: With owner Ken Kendrick's promise to blow up the team underway, the Diamondbacks currently have an interim general manager (Jerry DiPoto), an interim field manager (Kirk Gibson) and interim players stocking their clubhouse (all but Justin Upton? Brandon Webb? Ian Kennedy?).

Whether ace Dan Haren is a short-timer in the desert as well depends upon Kendrick's vision, DiPoto's negotiations and these next two weeks.

With the July 31 trade deadline looming and several clubs looking for rotation help, the best of the available lot is Haren, Houston's Roy Oswalt and the Cubs' Ted Lilly. Haren and Oswalt by far are the better pitchers, Lilly has the more affordable contract.

You get what you pay for.

While clubs are phoning the torched Diamondbacks' front office inquiring about Haren, DiPoto says "we're not to the point right now where we're aggressively seeking [a Haren trade]."

Not yet. But these Diamondbacks are so disappointing, and their bullpen so blindingly awful, that if they're not aggressively seeking a Haren trade soon, they're guilty of malpractice.

This isn't to say they must trade Haren.

But if they come away from this without engaging other clubs to at least determine available packages, they're even worse off than they appear.

DiPoto looks around the diamond and sees talented young players at most positions. Yet he's also looking at an equation in which 2 + 2 does not equal 4.

"You can look at it and suggest we're not far from turning the corner, or you could look at it and say what do we need to get over the top?" DiPoto, 42, says. "I think we need a little bit more versatility in terms of the way we can use our lineup, the way we can use our bullpen."

Or a lot more versatility. Of those two choices, the better way to look at this, clearly, is from the not-far-from-turning-the-corner angle. That may be Pollyanna-ish, but it's far more grounded in reality than figuring what an Arizona team 20½ games out of first in the NL West needs to do to "get over the top."

Related Info

Analysis

Danny Knobler

With Alex Rodriguez creeping closer to 600 homers, does anyone really care? More

Miller: Haren assesses trade deadline

On a Friday night in San Diego when Haren was not at his best (five innings pitched, eight hits, six earned runs allowed), scouts weren't exactly stuffing Petco Park to view him. Detroit, which also is looking at Oakland's Ben Sheets and others, appeared to be the only club with a scout dispatched solely to bird-dog Haren. The Mets, Phillies and Braves also had scouts in attendance, but one of those was an advance man (Mets) and the other two were doing their regular coverage.

Still, the Phillies and Mets are among those clubs looking to add a starting pitcher in an NL East increasingly controlled by Atlanta.

The Diamondbacks are looking for a position player or two, bullpen help (duh), and pieces to re-stock a spotty farm system.

"Good, young, controllable talent," DiPoto says. "Guys who can go out there [and play in the majors]. And we have a roster model right now built around that young player that we've given an opportunity now for two, three, four years to play at the major-league level and grow into the major-league player, or, role they were going to assume.

"Now we need to keep adding onto the back end of that to create a flow. Our minor-league prospects, we're heavy at the [Class] A level. How do we place something in between?"

Cliff Lee brought Seattle top first base prospect Justin Smoak and three prospects from Texas, and Lee is a free agent in three months. Haren is signed to a four-year, $44.75 million deal that doesn't expire until 2012 -- and includes a club option $15.5 million in 2013.

"It is hard to find top-of-the-rotation, major-league starters," DiPoto says. "You might bite off your nose to spite your face [if you trade a guy like Haren]. And I don't know if that's smart business.

"What we do know is what value Dan brings to this team and what value he should hold in the market. The rest is, everybody's going to have different opinions."

These are the kind of things that will shadow Haren and the Diamondbacks over the next two weeks as the trade deadline rages and Arizona digs out of the sandstorm. Interim skipper Gibson knows it, and he pretty much figures his players had better buck up.

"We've put ourselves in a situation," Gibson says. "We have a lineup card with 25 names on it that I will manage tonight. If we have a lineup card with different names on it tomorrow, we'll honor those who are no longer here and I'll manage who we have here.

"I'm not trying to be cold about it, but that's the way it is."

The latest from Scott Miller from CBSsports.com

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Also, link to the article here.

Edited by catswithbats

No disagreement here. But I've never been a big fan of Raburn anyway (I know - big shock there). But IIRC, one of Raburns big virtues was supposedly that while he slugged better against LHP, he still carried a 300 BA against righties (2009 season splits). Clearly 'regression' to reality has reared it's ugly head in the form of 182/494 BA/OPS against RHP so far this yr.

I just don't see what he is doing here right now. For my money, the safest places to put him are 2b and DH, but there aren't many ABs at 2b and even less at DH. I'd have preferred they traded him or left him in Toledo till really needed and found a part time LH 3b, or even an over the hill DH type that still had some power to carry as a pinch hitter.

Even with his horrible performance vs RHP this year, he's still the Tigers best bat off the bench pretty much every game.

The most common bench available player list is going to be Gerald Laird, Danny Worth, Don Kelly, Ryan Raburn

yeahhh

the latest from MLBTR has the tigers listed first under their "interested teams:"

Tigers: Miller says they "appeared to be the only club with a scout dispatched solely to bird-dog Haren" Friday night. Back in May I noted that the Tigers should have over $50MM to play with for 2011 if they hold payroll steady, so they could afford Haren. The Tigers have plenty of young starters that would appeal to the D'Backs.

Roundup: John Buck, Dan Haren among Tigers trade targets

RHP Dan Haren, Arizona -- Haren is the jewel on the trade market right now, with a beautiful strikeout-to-walk ratio, a solid resume and successful experience in the American League. However the D-Backs are reportedly looking for two starting pitchers and a reliever, near or at MLB ready. That's a conversation stopper. The Tigers are said to be bird-dogging Haren's starts, which is a great phrase. Owed $25.5m over next two years with option for third at $15.5m. (Source: CBS Sports)

If we don't make this trade soon, it might not make any sense on July 31st, we might be sellers by then if something doesn't spark this team

If we don't make this trade soon, it might not make any sense on July 31st, we might be sellers by then if something doesn't spark this team

It's a trade for 2011 and 2012 as much as it is for this season.

It's a trade for 2011 and 2012 as much as it is for this season.

I agree, I'd like to see if we can get younger at the trade deadline ... while still staying competitive.

In an article about the Tigers and Twins possibly getting into a tug-of-war over Ted Lilly (who I am still "meh" about):

Arizona's Dan Haren has a contract that permits him to name a group of 12 teams this season and eight teams next year to which he can veto a deal. But, he said he would consider waiving his partial no-trade clause in the right deal, FOX Sports Arizona's Jack Magruder reports. [via MLBTR]

The Tigers reportedly scouted Haren on July 16 and AOL Fanhouse's Ed Price reports the St. Louis Cardinals, who drafted him in the second round in 2001, are believed to be interested in Haren, too. The Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Angels, Philadelphia Phillies, Colorado Rockies, and New York Yankees could also make a run at Haren.

Just heard on 971:

Tigers have shown interest in Dan Haren, but Haren would prefer to be dealt to a team on the left coast.

I will continue to hold out hope until Haren rejects a trade to the Tigers.

Edited by catswithbats

Can the Tigers afford to wait till July 31st?

It would be one extra start for a starter. Not sure that would make or break the season. It could. But probably not.

Well, Lynn Henning said a Dan Haren trade will 100% not happen .... now I can't wait to see what happens.

Lynn thinks we should sell Damon, call up his boy Streiby <-- is he even hitting in AAA, and wait for the off-season.

Well, Lynn Henning said a Dan Haren trade will 100% not happen .... now I can't wait to see what happens.

Lynn thinks we should sell Damon, call up his boy Streiby <-- is he even hitting in AAA, and wait for the off-season.

I'm glad Lynn Henning isn't the GM.

Although he did ~predict~ the Granderson trade.

I'm glad Lynn Henning isn't the GM.

Although he did ~predict~ the Granderson trade.

Henning also said we should cut Kenny Rogers and replace him with Chad Durbin.

He also pofesses love for Casper Wells who is hitting .200 at Toledo.

He also pofesses love for Casper Wells who is hitting .200 at Toledo.

Maybe he's afraid Casper's dad will hunt him down and whip his *** if he says otherwise.