Joec03

Tigers Scouting Dan Haren

"Dan Haren, RHP, Diamondbacks — Scouts from the Yankees, Twins, Nationals, Cardinals, and Tigers all came out to watch his last start, a 9-3 loss to the Yankees in which he went seven innings and allowed six hits and three runs. It will be interesting to see whether the Diamondbacks wind up dealing their best starter and whether anyone will break the bank to get him."

via Baylor is feeling skipped over in managerial mix - The Boston Globe

What do you guys think? I think he'd be a good pickup and alot cheaper than Cliff Lee.

No thanks. Unless the centerpiece is around Andy Oliver and not Casey Crosby or Turner, then I'd be ok with it. Too bad this isn't fantasy baseball though with your best friends girlfriend running the other side of the show.... *sigh*

This is a no-brainer...

Assuming Haren is healthy....I would trade both Oliver and Crosby for Haren in a heart-beat. Haren is signed until 2012....with a team option on 2013.

* 09:$7.5M, 10:$8.25M, 11:$12.75M, 12:$12.75M, 13:$15.5M club option ($3.5M buyout)

He'd be a nice pick-up, but geez, what would we have to part with to get him? Unless the Diamondbacks have a hard-on over a Laird and Raburn package, I'd pass.

Damn. I wonder if Turner + Streiby gets it done? I doubt it.

No way would I trade Boesch for him - you lose a ton of offense there.

No thanks. Unless the centerpiece is around Andy Oliver and not Casey Crosby or Turner *sigh*

What makes you want to keep Casey Crosby over Andy Oliver?

Turner will be the main name, along with a guy like Ryan Strieby, plus a guy like Charlie Furbush.

At what price, though? If they want Boesch, do you do it?

I'd give up Turner, maybe Crosby. Ryan Streiby. Boesch would be a tough one. I imagine the Tigers would walk away if the D'backs asked for Boesch, but I'd at least consider it.

Then again, Arizona desperately needs pitching. (And they've already got some good outfielders in Upton and Young. Don't know much about Parra or Gillespie. Parra seems to be popular, from what I can tell from the FSAZ broadcasts I've watched.)

I'm also more inclined to keep Oliver right now because I'm still riding the high from his first ML start. :laugh: I also forgot about Charlie Furbush, but I'd throw him into the mix too. I think (hope hope hope) it's possible for the Tigers to land someone like Haren without completely bankrupting their minor league depth.

Edited by catswithbats

Crosby and Strieby and an MLB ready reliever, say Weinhardt or Sborz or someone. Arizona isn't going to want to pay him.

Verlander and Haren at the front of a rotation would combine for 450 innings. And maybe his cutter would make inroads with Porcello.

Arizona isn't going to want to pay him.

That's also a pretty good point. They can't afford both Jackson and Haren. Or maybe they can, they just would rather not.

Verlander, Haren, Scherzer, Bonderman, Porcello would be a devastating rotation. Let Bondo walk after this season and replace him with Oliver. Yum.

Verlander, Haren, Scherzer, Bonderman, Porcello would be a devastating rotation. Let Bondo walk after this season and replace him with Oliver. Yum.

I think I just had heart palpitations at the mere thought of that rotation.

Do Not mortgage the future for this guy.

He's signed at a pretty cheap rate for quite a while. He's a proven horse with no injury history. Arizona probably doesn't want to pay him $11 million while they are rebuilding. And he's been successful in the AL. There is nothing not to like about acquiring him.

I think I just had heart palpitations at the mere thought of that rotation.

I bet they'd want one or possibly two from the group of Scherzer or Porcello or Oliver to make that deal.

I'm sure the package would start with Ramirez and Oliver; and they'd want more than that.

OK..frst of all the package AZ will ask for will start with Porcello.

It diminishes the scope and gives them an easier sell to their fans..he is major leage ready.

Believe it or not, the Tigers may favor this as they believe Turner has a higher ceiling.

Crosby...in a heartbeat..he has pitched one full season of Low-A, on a pitch count, sandwiched around TJ and a severe elbow issue..yeah that health record screams major league career. Dout most teams value Crosby very highly at this point.

Streiby..guys.. he's hitting .233 with a .725 OPS has a chronic wrist injury and hasn't played a full season in 2 years..would we deal him?? I think so..in a heartbeat.

Don't be shocked if the deal is Zumaya and Porcello for Haren and something else.

Zumaya, Porcello, Streiby and Crosby for Haren and Drew..I'd do that all day.

Edited by sportz4life

Crosby and Strieby and an MLB ready reliever, say Weinhardt or Sborz or someone. Arizona isn't going to want to pay him.

Verlander and Haren at the front of a rotation would combine for 450 innings. And maybe his cutter would make inroads with Porcello.

This would be ideal. Now that I have gotten a taste of Oliver's fastball, I would prefer to keep him over Crosby. I think you would have to substitute Zumaya or Perry to get the deal done. I would hate to lose Zoom from our bullpen but I think we have the depth to overcome the loss. This also might be a good time to capitalize on his great first half.

I'm sure the package would start with Ramirez and Oliver; and they'd want more than that.

Ramirez has not a lot more than zero trade value.