They've won 7 in a row, they're 9-1 over their last 10 and they've gained significant ground on both us and the Twins over the last two weeks. They're 4.5 off the lead, and only 3.5 behind us.

I realize part of that streak was the Pirates and Nationals (whom we also took care of), but they DID manage to pitch their way to a good win over Strasburg and the Nats, and last night they roughed up the Braves for a good few runs.

Are they legit? Will this be a 3 team race? Or is this kind of what we did in '08 where we pulled within 4 or so games, but then quickly lost it again.

With their starting staff (which I think is the best in the division), they certainly have a shot, IMO. I didn't think they'd start out so poorly to be honest.

This thread will make sportz4life very angry. Which, I disagree with the notion that Sox are out of it, I think it's going to be a 3 team fight per usual.

They are out of it like the Twins were out of it last September. If they stay close, it will keep KW from reloading with prospects at the deadline.

This thread will make sportz4life very angry. Which, I disagree with the notion that Sox are out of it, I think it's going to be a 3 team fight per usual.

lots of things make him angry.

I'm only concerned with how their starting staff has seemingly just pushed the right buttons and is suddenly on fire.

maybe it'll help us out having some team put a fire under our butts.

Come on...

When the Tigers lost like 6 in a row, everyone here was going on about how they're just a .500 team.

Teams are never as bad as they look in a huge slump, and teams are never as good as they seem in a huge win streak.

Maybe the Sox will play decent and contend towards the end of the season. Pretty good chance they don't though. They aren't going to keep this up. They could just as easily begin a 7 game losing streak today. I'm not going to say they have no chance, but you can't let streaks like this bait you into overrating or underrating a team. Streaks happen. And for every reaction there's an equal and opposite reaction.

Come on...

When the Tigers lost like 6 in a row, everyone here was going on about how they're just a .500 team.

Teams are never as bad as they look in a huge slump, and teams are never as good as they seem in a huge win streak.

Maybe the Sox will play decent and contend towards the end of the season. Pretty good chance they don't though. They aren't going to keep this up. They could just as easily begin a 7 game losing streak today. I'm not going to say they have no chance, but you can't let streaks like this bait you into overrating or underrating a team. Streaks happen. And for every reaction there's an equal and opposite reaction.

Hopefully the equal and opposite will consist of the Sux sweeping the Twins and the Tigers sweeping the Sux.:happy:

Alex Rios is an all star.

IF Quentin and Peavey can continue to play like they have been recently, then the Sox can win the division.

The scary thing is Peavey, Buehrle, and Floyd all have no where to go but up. Their #'s so far are waaay off of what they are capable of.

Come on...

Yeah and you are seeing the opposite reaction of the Sox sucking all season long right now.

Come on...

I don't see anyone overrating them...the thread starter merely said that the Sox have gained significant ground on us and the Twins during their streak, and thus have put themselves in the thick of things.

I don't think it's an overstatement to say Chicago's starting staff has the potential to be the best in the AL Central. And we all know how important pitching is.

But you're right. Like the other teams in the division, the Sox have flaws and could just as easily reel off a 7-game losing streak.

Overall, I still think the Tigers are a better team than the Sox. But they still worry me, if only because they always seem to play us tough.

I took it to mean that it looks like the division was shaping up as a 2 team race but now the Sox are creeping back into it. Yes they could go on a losing streak but so could the Tigers. They were at the same level the Sox are right now before they started playing AAAA teams at home. I wouldn't take any Sox starter over Verlander but I think I'd take 3 of them over any other starter we have besides Porcello (based soley on projection).

I don't think the Sox are as bad as everyone thought and it wouldn't surprise me if they finish second in the division.

That thought makes me gag.

Call Vegas I am calling it....White Sux will be out of it by the trading deadline. Things are going good now, but we have seen how those in charge act when things are not so good. One more bad slump and Ozzie might be gone or in another shouting match with Kenny Williams

Everybody has a decent streak during a 162 game season..especially with a decent starting staff.

Everybody finds it difficult to sustain..when their defense is pathetic, their catcher can't throw and their hitting is anemic..

Mirage..they blow.

Alex Rios is an all star.

IF Quentin and Peavey can continue to play like they have been recently, then the Sox can win the division.

The scary thing is Peavey, Buehrle, and Floyd all have no where to go but up. Their #'s so far are waaay off of what they are capable of.

Verlander 08..says you're dreaming.

I love it that the Sox are close to .500. now they won't trade Konerko and Pierzynski because they think they can compete. Then their schedule will get harder and they'll go right back in the tank.

The best chance the White Sox have of winning the Central is to flip divisions with the Cubs.

I see the White Sox and Twins both tanking down the stretch. I'm not basing this on anything except the fact that I hate them both.

Also, the White Sox play 13 games in a row vs Seattle and Oakland. How annoying...

Carlos Quentin is the new Ryan Howard.

Chicago just won the series against the Atlanta Braves. This marks the first time that the Braves have lost a series since all the back on May 11 when they lost a series in Philadelphia. Quite a run the Braves were on. And quite a run the White Sox are on.

Next up for the Braves, the Tigers!

Everybody has a decent streak during a 162 game season..especially with a decent starting staff.

Everybody finds it difficult to sustain..when their defense is pathetic, their catcher can't throw and their hitting is anemic..

Mirage..they blow.

poof

The rotation is finally pitching the way it should. If the rotation keeps consistent the Sox will continue to win.

Edited by whitesox901

The rotation is finally pitching the way it should. If the rotation keeps consistent the Sox will continue to win.

Finally! They were terrible until 2 weeks ago, when they magically figured everything out. I see no reason the White Sox won't win the division by 15-20 games.

Finally! They were terrible until 2 weeks ago, when they magically figured everything out. I see no reason the White Sox won't win the division by 15-20 games.

Until two weeks ago the only starters that were consistent were Danks and Garcia. Peavy had a couple of good stretches mixed in their too, but still. And I never advocated the Sox would win the division. I just said the Sox will continue to win games in general if the rotation keeps pitching well.

Looking at Floyd and Peavy's FIP and xFIP (the best indicator of future success) and according to those numbers you're going to see those ERA come WAY down as the year goes on.

So if 4/5 of the rotation pitch solid you put yourself in at least a position to win, offense and defense of course being variables.

Edited by whitesox901

White Sox have swept three 3 game series in a row for the first time since 1952. It is their first 9 game winning streak since 2006 when they won like 98 games and won the division. That was the first year with Thome.