Sign in to follow this  
JonBenke

2004/05 Detroit Pistons

As of right now...

This is the ROSTER, for the Detroit Pistons.

-- starters --

G. Chauncey Billups

G. Richard Hamilton

C. Mehmet Okur

F. Ben Wallace

F. Tayshaun Prince

-- bench --

F. Darko Milicic

C. Elden Campbell

G. Bobby Sura

F. Corliss Williamson

G. Chucky Atkins

G. Lindsey Hunter

G. Huburt Davis

C. Zeljko Rebracca

Now, who thinks this is the roster they'll start the season with?

Of course, I hope Joe makes another TRADE. I'd love for him to trade for Toni Kukoc, in order to free up more cap space, and to give us a better small forward, combination -- Prince/Kukoc.

Does anyone else agree with me...

:classic:

PEACE

Jon, don't you mean the 2003/2004 roster? LOL. That's ok, I'll let is slide this time. I think one move will be made, but it probably will not be a big one. Very possibly Chucky Atkins for Toni Kukoc, straight up. That would make sense.

Jon, just dont have a heart attack when Michigan wins the national championship. We need you in this forum for your outstanding trade speculation.

K U K O C !

I won't start a thread with this small mention but check out what they are saying about Okur's play in Europe:

Pistons C Mehmet Okur, playing for Turkey, has showed increased confidence, working defenders in the paint with his back to the basket. “He looked more well-rounded than I ever saw him,” says one NBA executive.

Okur

I am not a Kukoc fan but it wouldn't kill me to see the Pistons add him and subtract one of the two PG and Davis. Dumars has seemed to say they are standing pat now. That doesn't mean he won't take a call from the Hawks, Jazz or Heat who could all use a PG or maybe serve as a third team in helping facilitate a trade.

News

The Toronto Star is reporting that the trade talk swirling around the Raptors, Blazers and Nets is dead. However, the Raptors are still believed to be shopping Antonio Davis. The Star lists the Mavs and Rockets among the teams still interested in Davis, who has $37 million left on his contract.

Views

If The Star's report is legit, then you can forget about Kenyon Martin going to Portland and Rasheed Wallace coming to New Jersey. Davis is still a player and whomever gets him will be real happy, because the Raptors just want to dump that salary.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=fanball-raptorsdavisontheblo&prov=fanball&type=lgns

I know we don't need another big man, but can you ever have too many? I know this is old news that we've discussed before, but it seems to me like it is a possibility.

Maybe Chucky and Hubert for Davis.

Davis is signed through 2005-06 season at 12 million a year. (Plus I think he has something in his contract that gives him a 15% kick if traded.) I don't think the Pistons need him at that price.

I like Notorious' idea on Jackson but that still leaves the Pistons needing to dump one of the two PGs or at least Davis.

Thanks for the info truth. It only makes sense if we trade them salary too(like Williamson and Chucky)

I dont like the Jackson idea simply because we need to subtract somebody.

Only make a trade...if it gets us CAP SPACE.

Honestly -- if it doesn't, I'd rather stay with what we got.

I know Larry Brown likes to use a THREE GUARD rotation, and that tells me -- Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, and Bobby Sura -- are those THREE guards. I assume they will keep Huburt Davis, but keeping Lindsey Hunter and Chucky Atkins, under this thought -- doesn't make much sense. Now, we could just trade CHUCKY ATKINS, to someone like Utah or Miami -- for a DRAFT PICK, which would be the same as trading away for CAP SPACE. I would love it, and if Dumars was able to dump Atkins for a DRAFT PICK, and cut Hunter -- in order to save a cool MILLION off the cap -- NEXT SUMMER. This is, to me -- the best case scenerio.

GUARDS

Billups

Hamilton

Sura

CENTERS

Okur

Campbell

FORWARDS

Wallace

Prince

Williamson

Milicic

Now, that is a NICE ROTATION :classic:

STAY TUNED!

JB, I am confused by this cap space thing. It was my understanding that if they picked up a guy on the last year of a 6 million a year contract, then the 6 rolls into their available payroll next season. If that's true, then what happens if they trade away a contract for a pick, does it reduce the number for next year?

JB, that is a nice rotation, but you have to factor in injuries and fatigue. There is no way the exact same 9 man rotation will play every game. Either Hunter or Atkins have to stay, even if they dont get significant playing time, which obviously means Hunter should stay. Unless you count Prince as a guard too, but they'll still need 12 active players anyway.

Truth -- maybe I am wrong, but hell -- maybe we're both wrong -- I don't know. I thought, if they trade away for lets say; Toni Kukoc, who's contract expires this year -- then the Pistons would pay his FINAL year, base salaray -- whatever that is, and that next year...when he becomes a free agent, it's taken away from the TEAM SALARY CAP, and thus -- you have more CAP SPACE. Like, if they CUT Lindsey Hunter now, they will not only save on his money, but they will save another ONE MILLION, on what I think was incentive bonuses, play, etc... I am very tired, and not sure if I am making any sense -- again, I may be wrong -- but, this is how I think it goes. This is why trading away for BOBBY SURA, is a good thing -- cause his CONTRACT expires at the end of this year. I loved that trade!

This is why Juwan Howard, was a good player to have -- LAST YEAR, and when his bloated contract -- was on YOUR books. Look who that team is -- DENVER, who had ALL that money, this SUMMER -- and to go out -- and to SIGN a few good "quality players".

MotownRandy -- I know you need a fourth guard, and that is why I said to keep HUBURT DAVIS. You'd have Sura being the COMBO GUARD, both the 2 and 1 -- which Brown likes, and Davis -- in case SH*T HAPPENS, and they need him -- or for a quick breather, or whatever.

I know they'll have more players than that, I just figured that'd be their ROTATION. Normal teams use a 9-10 man rotation. We've used more, the last few years -- cause our strength was DEPTH, and still is -- just not as much as it once was. That, and LARRY BROWN likes to use a small number in his ROTATION, unlike our past coach. Good things will come, I think.

PEACE

I said that because, correct me if I am wrong, I thik JB suggested getting rid of both Atkins and Hunter. I just think we need to keep one, but I get what you're saying too about Sura as a combo guard.

I thought, if they trade away for lets say; Toni Kukoc, who's contract expires this year -- then the Pistons would pay his FINAL year, base salaray -- whatever that is, and that next year...when he becomes a free agent, it's taken away from the TEAM SALARY CAP, and thus -- you have more CAP SPACE. Like, if they CUT Lindsey Hunter now, they will not only save on his money, but they will save another ONE MILLION, on what I think was incentive bonuses, play, etc...

The part about a Kukoc or Sura salary is how I think it works too. It seems to me you establish a base line, so when all of those contracts expire at the end of the season they go into the pool of available salary to either re-sign or sign FAs. What I was wondering is if you reduce that base line by trading a guy for a pick? I guess I could do a little research I was just hoping to cheat and ask you:classic:

Dude, I think all the money comes off.

Like I said -- check out Denver, and with Juwan Howard.

Maybe not all, but whatever you are over... Sometimes people have contracts that are multiple years, and the amount gets higher each year. So, whatever they are UNDER -- after next year's CONTRACTS that are still there -- are taken into consideration, then whatever is else -- less than the SALARY CAP, is the amount you have to go after FREE AGENTS.

I hope that helps.

I know Hamilton's contract gets a bit bigger -- over time, not sure about Chauncey Billups -- I can check on that though.

PEACE