cruzer1

When is Boesch not a fluke?

Boesch as a 1.000 OPS player was a fluke. Let's see where he ends up as a normal player.

Like in that King of the Hill episode where they think Bobby is a Lama because he picks the right item out of many?

Or like in Lost where a young Locke picks the knife instead of the compass or whatever it was?

Did you see the "man in black" on The Closer last night? He had that same cocky roll-of-the-head and sleepy eyes. Sinister.

Boesch should have had the game-winning hit last night, but clubhouse leader Johnny Damon had his head up his butt and made a huge baserunning error.

A) Damon spoke to the media during dire times, if that makes him a clubhouse leader.. okay

b) maybe he should have been off at the crack of the bat, but I was sitting in Right and it looked like Cruz was going to catch it, he mead the excellent dek... He was even slowing down and without looking at his face, it looked like he was timing his catch so he could double off Damon.

If you want to blame any club leader.. one out, bases loaded, and Carlos 'I need to play the field even though I bobbled the ball several times in the game' Guillen hits into a double play, a fly out would have been enough.

I can excuse Damon for that play last night. It's easy to look back at different camera angles and say he should have been running all the way. In the .8 seconds in realtime from second base that you have to decide to run or not, the decision is not that easy. Getting doubled off there would have been worse than the Guillen clutch DP.

Boesch should have had the game-winning hit last night, but clubhouse leader Johnny Damon had his head up his butt and made a huge baserunning error.

Really? Have you never been on base? At that angle it's very difficult to tell if an OFer is going to get there. The OFer raised his glove like he was about to catch it and completely fooled Damon. That isn't his fault though, he was being smart and holding his ground.

If he would have caught it and picked Damon off at second, you'd be complaining about how he shouldn't have been that far off base.

the better complaint that would happen is everyone would have called Damon an idiot for being thrown out at the plate

Cruz --- not sure of his arm -- was not only dekking, he was all set for a throw to the plate from short center field.

There were at least 10 Tigers mistakes to lose the game, blaming any one of them is right, but not fair

I can excuse Damon for that play last night. It's easy to look back at different camera angles and say he should have been running all the way. In the .8 seconds in realtime from second base that you have to decide to run or not, the decision is not that easy. Getting doubled off there would have been worse than the Guillen clutch DP.

The only reason to get doubled off --- if there is one --- is to say 'after Boesch, who could hit Damon in?'

edit : that is to say to take off from second and trying to score --- assuming he didn't get thrown out at the plate

There were at least 10 Tigers mistakes to lose the game, blaming any one of them is right, but not fair

I'm quite content to blame Guillén for failing to get the ball out of the infield that inning. :cheeky:

I'm quite content to blame Guillén for failing to get the ball out of the infield that inning. :cheeky:

I'm putting the Weinhardt run on the fact Guillén can no longer bend and reach the ground while running.

I don't blame Damon for playing it safe there either.

The bases were loaded with one out. The opposing pitcher was wild. You had your DH from earlier in the year coming to bat. What could go wrong?

By the way, I'm not throwing Guillen unbder a bus. He just had a bad game at a bad time.

By the way, I'm not throwing Guillen unbder a bus. He just had a bad game at a bad time.

he mostly played to his potential.

He is only a .277 hitter with 5 HRs, though he does have a whopping 30 RIB Eyes

with an almost straight face, I can say he hasn't done that much worse (than his hitting) in the field

Just as fans were too hasty for enshrining Boesch in Cooperstown after two great months, it's also premature to call him a fluke after a tough couple weeks. The greatest hitters in history have gone through similar slumps.

Truth is, we don't yet know what we have with Brennan. We have to give it time.

Just as fans were too hasty for enshrining Boesch in Cooperstown after two great months, it's also premature to call him a fluke after a tough couple weeks. The greatest hitters in history have gone through similar slumps.

Truth is, we don't yet know what we have with Brennan. We have to give it time.

Nah, a fluke is not Boesch. He'll be a decent Mike Hessman type player for years to come. ;)

We knew a bad slump was going to come. And, here it is. Lets see how he adjusts.

Its not like the pace he was on was ever going to be sustainable over the long run, anyway. And, his numbers against lefties won't be sustainable, either.

Edited by Scottwood

Well, all I can say is, people were leaving Jackson for dead a few months ago when he hit his wall. Let's just see how it all plays out. I'm still hopeful he can be a good player for us.

He wasn't as good as all that and he isn't as bad as this. I still say an .830 - 850 OPS guy when it's all said/done.

And Jackson's a little better offensively than most projections (including mine) had him before the season, but right on his minor-league numbers.

My long term opinion of him has gone up a bit actually, with all the walks and cutting the strikeouts. He could be a .860-.880 OPS guy without too much trouble. .280/.360/.520

My long term opinion of him has gone up a bit actually, with all the walks and cutting the strikeouts. He could be a .860-.880 OPS guy without too much trouble. .280/.360/.520

This is really hard to say at this point. While I'm impressed with the increase in walks, he's also hitting a lot of weak balls. Maybe pitchers are just throwing a lot more junk -- and while he's taking a few more walks, he's still swinging at the junk way too much.

This is really hard to say at this point. While I'm impressed with the increase in walks, he's also hitting a lot of weak balls. Maybe pitchers are just throwing a lot more junk -- and while he's taking a few more walks, he's still swinging at the junk way too much.

Certainly possible. It's also possible that by being more patience he's lost something in his swing or reaction time. But I think/hope it's more likely he's just going through a bit of a slump. I don't think he's going anywhere this season, so he's got a while to figure it out.

(reposted from 'the other thread')

I think he's slumping - but it's not like he's striking out all the time like Shelton did. Boesch is still making contact - and like last night - had a hard hit ball right at Pena. He's actually got more walks this month than strikeouts! When Shelton went downhill, his K rate skyrocketed. So to me, Boesch's just slumping and it's compounded by bad luck.

I don't think he's going to do what he did the first 2 months again. Not many batters EVER do that. But I think we will still get good production out of him when he comes out of this. And the fact that his BB/K numbers are actually improving during a slump makes me feel confident in that. His power just didn't 'go away'.

He seems to either be grounding out, popping up, or walking (yes, I know that it's not all he does). Pitchers aren't giving him much to hit and he'll either swing and get out or he'll take the pitches and walk, he needs to make them pitch to him, maybe put him in front of Cabrera even?