cruzer1

When is Boesch not a fluke?

How about a personal interview with the statistician to calculate the player's Desire Quotient:

"Do you want to win?"

"Yes."

"How much?"

"A lot."

"Do you really mean it?"

"Yes."

That player would have a DQ of 8 out of 10, maybe.

It might sound silly, but two assistant gms said that is the one area they'd like to to see advances in. They have been designing and using questionnaires in psychology for years so it's not a new concept.

And no the statistician wouldn't be asking the questions. We hate people!

It might sound silly, but two assistant gms said that is the one area they'd like to to see advances in. They have been designing and using questionnaires in psychology for years so it's not a new concept.

Ha. That's just a very subjective area to be dealt with by statistics, isn't it? How do you measure desire?

Ha. That's just a very subjective area to be dealt with by statistics, isn't it? How do you measure desire?

I'm not the one who suggested it. It was the StL and AZ asst GMs who said they were looking for help. They do that sort of thing in psychology all the time though. would a psychologist do better than a scout?

I'm not a psychologist. If there is a psychologist here, they can maybe explain how it's done and how well it works. The sabers will help analyze the numbers later.

I can't relate to desire, but I've done some research in measuring creativity. Long story, short: it's hard.

You mean those assessments that end up revealing more about the the test designer's emotional and cultural biases that the subjects personality? <g>

Up until the early 70s, when I guess it became too politically incorrect (and also because someone had leaked the interpretation key-making that particular test useless) UM used to give incoming freshmen a personality profile test.

Two questions that I remember standing out even after many years for their inanity were

1. Do you prefer cooked or raw carrots? Key for this one was raw=impatient. Critique:Didn't anyone ever tell the test designer the cooked and raw carrots actually taste different?

2. Do you go up stairs one or two at at time? Key again=impetuous vs prudent. Critique: how tall is subject? Does subject happen to live in environment with a lot of 4" stairs? etc.....

If the 'smart people' (i.e. academe) can't do any better than that, I can't imagine what a bunch of sports consultants would come up with!

Edited by Gehringer_2

I suspect baseball people (scouts, managers, GMs, etc.) have their own "tests" to determine things like desire, etc. Those who are successful are those who are able to read these things correctly.

I'm thinking of the "Sonny test" from the movie "A Bronx Tale." There are little things you can do which will reveal someone's character.

I suspect baseball people (scouts, managers, GMs, etc.) have their own "tests" to determine things like desire, etc. Those who are successful are those who are able to read these things correctly.

I'm thinking of the "Sonny test" from the movie "A Bronx Tale." There are little things you can do which will reveal someone's character.

Like in that King of the Hill episode where they think Bobby is a Lama because he picks the right item out of many?

Or like in Lost where a young Locke picks the knife instead of the compass or whatever it was?

It was baseball people who suggested that baseball people are not very good at it. I'm actually just as skeptical as you guys that outsiders could do any better though. I think you have to be around somebody for a long time to really know much about their character.

I don't think think scouts know much about some HS or college kid they just met a couple of times. They don't know how he'll respond to the pressures of drugs, advertising, etc. They can talk to the kids coach and parents but those people are going to say he's a great kid.

I think after the player has been around for a couple of years, they learn more. Even then though, the pressure of the majors are a lot different than the pressures of the minors.

Like in that King of the Hill episode where they think Bobby is a Lama because he picks the right item out of many?

Or like in Lost where a young Locke picks the knife instead of the compass or whatever it was?

I dunno. I don't watch much TV, especially since the MLB Network came into existance.

edit: that sentence sounded dumb. What I meant was, ever since MLB Network, I don't watch anything BUT that.

Edited by Duane B. Sims

It was baseball people who suggested that baseball people are not very good at it.

Well, a couple GMs during one particular forum said it. I wouldn't quote that as gospel, though.

As I said, I imagine some baseball people are good at judging these things, and others not so good. Ever since there's been baseball, some managers have been touted as "master psychologists."

I'm actually just as skeptical as you guys that outsiders could do any better though. I think you have to be around somebody for a long time to really know much about their character.

Yeah, although some people are more intuitive about such things than others. Again, whether it's an outsider or not, it would depend on the individual.

I don't think think scouts know much about some HS or college kid they just met a couple of times. They don't know how he'll respond to the pressures of drugs, advertising, etc. They can talk to the kids coach and parents but those people are going to say he's a great kid.

I think there are clues one can look out for, but you're right: you can't really get a read on someone until you've been around them awhile. And even then, it's no guarantee. I can personally attest to that. I've been totally fooled by people I've known a long time.

Its not just a few MLB GM's. I know a couple NBA teams, including the Dallas Mavericks, are also trying to learn more about player psychology. And, teams across professional sports hire trained sports psychologist to help their teams.

Its not just a few MLB GM's. I know a couple NBA teams, including the Dallas Mavericks, are also trying to learn more about player psychology. And, teams across professional sports hire trained sports psychologist to help their teams.

Sure. Which strongly suggests there may be a lot more to the intangible part of the game than some people think.

Some people seem to think once a player gets to the major league level, he has already exhibited the kind of focus and mental toughness needed to do the job. This has been said on this very forum, and I highly disagree with that stance.

I think there's a big difference between "trying to learn more about player psychology" and "let's invent a statistic that measures how much a specific player cares about winning."

I think there's a big difference between "trying to learn more about player psychology" and "let's invent a statistic that measures how much a specific player cares about winning."

There is also a big difference between "using sabermetrics to learn more about player psychology" and "inventing a statistic that measures how much a specific player cares about winning".

pray

No thanks. I'll wait for science. And if I was going to pray it wouldn't be for a ball player. It would be for America. Or Tom Lewand.:pirate:

NBA needs a full psyche ward in each practice facility for future picks. It has been over-run by thugs for many years. Partially the reason I stopped watching it (and the Pistons suck now).

Boesch: His name at the plate is "Bash", in the field, it's "Butcher" !~!!!!

They ruled that a "triple" tonight? just sayin'

As banal as this observation might be, I think the way Boesch hits after the All-Star layoff will be very critical. He has been in a day-in day-out groove for two and a half months, and a four-day rest can really mess with that...
Damn. I thought this might happen. I hope Boesch pulls out of it quickly.

Boesch should have had the game-winning hit last night, but clubhouse leader Johnny Damon had his head up his butt and made a huge baserunning error.

Damn. I thought this might happen. I hope Boesch pulls out of it quickly.

I hope he's got the memo that they are going to continue to pitch him high and outside until he stops chasing them.

Boesch isn't really chasing pitches any differently than he always has. It's the swing mechanics he is using to make contact. what were line drives are now balls either going off the end of the bat, the trademark or being popped up..it's balance or pulling off the ball.

Happens to every hitter Pujols and Miggy included, lets see how he responds to the adversity.

Edited by sportz4life

They seem to have found a pitch that gets Boesch out, and are pitching him everything away right now. Last night he struck out by swinging and missing at the same pitch 3 times. Time for him to adjust.