cruzer1

When is Boesch not a fluke?

Neither old-fashioned scouting nor numbers could have foreseen the free-swinging tornado that is Brennan Boesch.

Sometimes **** just happens. Out of the blue. Again, take a peek at Mark Fidrych's minor league numbers. Nobody in their right mind could've predicted what he did.

Same with No. 26, Captain Caveman, hitting bombs into the Boesch Pit, which is what they'll rename right field if he keeps this up.

From the looks of it, Bash is no fluke....

....With a 6'6" frame like that, IF you can make consistent contact (which has been the difference for him), you can be an All-Star, which looks like he should be at this point!

I'm completely out of descriptive superlatives here. We may have

to make Boesch an adjective, or a gerund, or something like that.

I think Boesch is still about seven PAs short of making the stats leaders lists. He needs 251 (3.1 PAs X 81 games) and I believe he's at 243. At this rate I'd think he'd need 8 or 9 games with at least four PAs per game to make up the difference.

4 walks today. Four.

The Orioles pitched around him all game. IIRC, all 4 walks came on 4 pitches.

Side note: Boesch was walked 4 times and scored 3 times. I hope this helps illustrate why indiscrimantly walking someone all of the time is a really bad idea.

Side note: Boesch was walked 4 times and scored 3 times. I hope this helps illustrate why indiscrimantly walking someone all of the time is a really bad idea.

Maybe so, but in this case I think its more down to the orioles pitching being really really bad.

I'm completely out of descriptive superlatives here. We may have

to make Boesch an adjective, or a gerund, or something like that.

Just as long as he's not a dangling participle. I'm pretty sure you get arrested for doing that in public.

Maybe so, but in this case I think its more down to the orioles pitching being really really bad.

I have no way of knowing, but they really did not throw him any strikes. Heck, they didn't come close to throwing a strike on 2 or 3 of the 4 BB.

And while Orioles pitching is bad, they were able to throw some strikes to every other batter. I honestly think they pitched around him and hoped he would chase garbage.

Edited by Mr. Bigglesworth

Everyone knows right? that every time you bump this thread

two kittens die and

Brennan Boesch

remains a fluke

boeschlegosm.gif

Edited by Titus Tiger

Remember David Clyde? He was the best pitching prospect ever. He was a sure thing if there ever was one. He was done at 25 or so. Even the Indians of the 1970's dumped him.
He got 18 big-league starts at the age of 18, not too smart a move by the Rangers, I would say. Didn't pitch at all in the minors until age 20, and I think he hurt his arm for the first time that year, as well. Could have been pretty good if brought along properly, perhaps. Even at age 19 his strikeout rate had already dropped by a huge amount, so the damage was already done by then.

He got 18 big-league starts at the age of 18, not too smart a move by the Rangers, I would say. Didn't pitch at all in the minors until age 20, and I think he hurt his arm for the first time that year, as well. Could have been pretty good if brought along properly, perhaps. Even at age 19 his strikeout rate had already dropped by a huge amount, so the damage was already done by then.

Whitey Herzog talks about Clyde in his book and claims that the owner (Short) insisted on using Clyde because he was good gate. Basically done as an effective MLB player after that summer.

I think Boesch is still about seven PAs short of making the stats leaders lists. He needs 251 (3.1 PAs X 81 games) and I believe he's at 243. At this rate I'd think he'd need 8 or 9 games with at least four PAs per game to make up the difference.

Today didn't help that. Too many walks.

Today didn't help that. Too many walks.

PA, not AB. Otherwise Barry Bonds never would have qualified during his later years. :-)

Edit: Darn you and your speedy typing TK23.

PA, not AB. Otherwise Barry Bonds never would have qualified during his later years. :-)

Edit: Darn you and your speedy typing TK23.

I'm going by what they use in the Sunday paper. That goes by at-bats.

Excerpted from Wikipedia's BA page(I didn't edit it first :-)

1957 to the present ? A player has needed 3.1 plate appearances per originally scheduled team game; thus, players were no longer penalized for walking so frequently, nor did they benefit from walking so rarely. (In 1954, for example, Ted Williams batted .345 but had only 386 ABs, while topping the AL with 136 walks. Williams thus lost the batting title to Cleveland?s Bobby Avila, who hit .341 in 555 ABs.) In the 154-game schedule, the required number of plate appearances was 477, and since the era of the 162-game schedule, the requisite number of PAs has been 502. (Adjustments to this 502 PA figure have been made during strike-shortened seasons, such as 1972, 1981, 1994, and 1995.)

I'm going by what they use in the Sunday paper. That goes by at-bats.

It will probably go out of business soon though.

It will probably go out of business soon though.

I've thought that the last 5 years, but it's still there. I still like it and find it useful. I always cut it out each week and use it for quick reference when watching a game. It only works for regulars, though, but it's still useful to me.

Two of the walks Boesch drew were on 3-2 counts, the other two were 4 pitch walks. The first of which he was behind 0-2 before working the count full and walking. I'm not so sure the Orioles pitchers were trying to walk Boesch, they just sucked. Oh yeah, and this Boesch kid is pretty good!

Josh Lewin just now: That guy [boesch] could be an All-Star, should be an All-Star.

I've not weighed in on the whole Boesch an All-Star thing because frankly I don't care, but I'm on board with whatever Josh Lewin says. I cannot believe that the Tigers let him go and now have Whitebread Impemba instead.

I've not weighed in on the whole Boesch an All-Star thing because frankly I don't care, but I'm on board with whatever Josh Lewin says. I cannot believe that the Tigers let him go and now have Whitebread Impemba instead.

I loved Josh Lewin. I hold all TV play-by-play guys to his standard and few live up. Daron Sutton is good too.

I don't think Mario is bad, I'd like to have Lewin replace Rod Allen though, Rod seems like the perfect guy to cut to in the stands or something when an exciting play is happening, but he just doesn't have enough to say to cover 9 innings most games.

As for Boesch, awesome game today