cruzer1

When is Boesch not a fluke?

I've been as skeptical as anybody about Boesch. His past performance hasn't shown that he could be this good for a short period, let alone a full month. But what a month! He will not keep this up, or will he? His swing is similar to me to Justin Mourneau. Can he be that type of consistent hitter? The jury is out, but he's been spectacular, and deserves his due. He's ROY/All-Star material right now.

The batting average will never stay this high... I see him as a LH Corey Hart... That's not a bad thing, but contact issues will linger throughout his career.

I've been as skeptical as anybody about Boesch. His past performance hasn't shown that he could be this good for a short period, let alone a full month. But what a month! He will not keep this up, or will he? His swing is similar to me to Justin Mourneau. Can he be that type of consistent hitter? The jury is out, but he's been spectacular, and deserves his due. He's ROY/All-Star material right now.

I am with you, I try and try not to get too excited over Boesch's start...but man, he is on fire. In only 37 games he has amassed 29 RBIs which is good for 3rd on the team. I'll start to get excited if he keeps hitting (closer to a .300 AVG and .350ish OBP) up to the AS Break.

But what a lift! Where would we be if he hadn't started the way he has? The Tigers would be talked about as sellers at the AS Break.

Quite a while..he could have a great year then suck next year..free swingers, never give yo a lot of comfort..I have been mpressed with his improving patience though.

Quite a while..he could have a great year then suck next year..free swingers, never give yo a lot of comfort..I have been mpressed with his improving patience though.

That is what really has impressed me (well, from the unexpected way anyhow). Hopefully he really did hit a switch last year and this will continue.

I think what impresses me as much as the HR's and RBI's is that there have been numerous times where he reaches out and slaps the ball the other way. As often as he swings from the heels at curves down and in, he also will work the count at times and hit and outside pitch to the opposite field.

He just seems to be the sort that makes things happen. He has chutzpah. Or presence. You SABRE guys/gals see if you can come up with a stat to address that....

I think what impresses me as much as the HR's and RBI's is that there have been numerous times where he reaches out and slaps the ball the other way. As often as he swings from the heels at curves down and in, he also will work the count at times and hit and outside pitch to the opposite field.

He just seems to be the sort that makes things happen. He has chutzpah. Or presence. You SABRE guys/gals see if you can come up with a stat to address that....

Not only that, when he isn't trying to push the ball and makes solid contact, he DESTROYS the ball.

There already is a measure of those intangibles. It is called grit. One thing that Boesch has going for him is that he is getting this performance while wearing low socks. The first time he starts to slump he can switch to high socks to increase his grittiness. Add a couple dives for balls that he could run and get and he'll be fine.

Having been a little silly in my last post I will say that Boesch is the kind of player that is great for fans at a close game. You never know when he will belt the ball to the wall or over the wall.

I know high OBP is a little more important than high SLG. But, watching SLG go up is more fun in the short run :-)

Small sample size and everything, but this points in the right direction:

April: 1 walk, 4 strikeouts, .292 OBP

May: 5 walks, 17 strikeouts, .378 OBP

(and iirc, 3 of those walks were on May 31)

June: 4 walks, 9 strikeouts, .515 OBP

Obviously I'm not projecting that he'll get on base at least half the time from here on out -- but the plate discipline that was once invisible (and the biggest knock against him) is becoming apparent.

I'd take that.

Me too. In fact, looking at that, I'm not sure he'd be able to ISO .250. Even still, .280/.320/.500 is still decent production.

In baseball right now (with at least 100 pa's), only four players have a higher slg % (.644)...Cruz (.729), Cabrera (.671), Mourneau (.668), and Ethier (.667).

The batting average will never stay this high... I see him as a LH Corey Hart... That's not a bad thing, but contact issues will linger throughout his career.

I don't know if this is what you meant, but he's been making contact fine so far, when the ball is in the zone. And for the number of swings he takes on balls out of the zone, he's been making decent contact there as well. He just needs to keep improving his plate discipline.

In baseball right now (with at least 100 pa's), only four players have a higher slg % (.644)...Cruz (.729), Cabrera (.671), Mourneau (.668), and Ethier (.667).

I wonder, would Cruz have been considered a fluke last year?

I think 147 AB is enough to say he should be a productive MLB player for some time. I think he will be a very good run producer. As long as smokes doesnt sit him down, he should be here for yrs to come.

I think 147 AB is enough to say he should be a productive MLB player for some time. I think he will be a very good run producer. As long as smokes doesnt sit him down, he should be here for yrs to come.

yeah..I spoke to Chris Shelton..he said his dog grooming business is taking off..

He will not keep this up, or will he? His swing is similar to me to Justin Mourneau. Can he be that type of consistent hitter?

No. Morneau K:BB ratio is much closer to 1 than Boesch's is, so he's more patient and has a bit more power. I don't think they're comparable.

Ed's right, he's a lefty Corey Hart.

yeah..I spoke to Chris Shelton..he said his dog grooming business is taking off..

On the other hand, Boesch didn't hit 9 homers in a week and a half either...

No. Morneau K:BB ratio is much closer to 1 than Boesch's is, so he's more patient and has a bit more power. I don't think they're comparable.

Ed's right, he's a lefty Corey Hart.

I said his swing, only. Also, when Mourneau started his career; it took him a few years to develop the patience he has now.

Justin Morneau Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Edited by cruzer1

A few other things to point out, he's killing superstar pitching. Not the little guys with slurvy stuff. He's killed a 98 mph Thornton FB, a Sabathia FB, among others. He's also hitting breaking balls out of the park. He's got some weaknessess, but the strengths are far outweighing them now.

I think comparing Shelton and Boesch is apples and oranges.