Shinma

13 years ago today.

I was at the game! Believe it or not, I got a free ticket from a vendor of one of the media planners in my group (a spot cable rep firm, of all things -- spot cable) when I was still in the agency business. My brother and I came in from Chicago for it. We took the People Mover after the game to Greektown to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of a championship city. Forty-two years of hockey funk washed away in one magical night.

I was also at Sunday's Game 5 at the United Center. I really wished that the Blackhawks had split in Philly, because then Sunday would have been the second time I'd watched, live and in person, an Original Six team clinch the Cup at home against the Flyers to break a 40+ year dry spell. Which goes to show, I guess, that it really is only a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

that would have been bad because then that means Chicago won.

If they have to win, I hope they do it on the road tonight, during the week. Don't let them do it at home on a Friday.

slight hijack over.

I felt great for my uncle the night the Wings finally won. I graduated high school in the mid-80s and left the SWOntario/Michigan area then. But my uncle stayed in Sarnia as a high school teacher and year after year had to endure harassment by teachers and students who were Leafs or Bruins or Oilers or Habs fans or whatever. Even over the school P.A. each year the morning after the Wings were eliminated. For him to walk into school the Monday morning late in the school year after the Saturday night clincher was a great moment for him. Another great moment would come in 2008 when he was retiring and won a national teacher's award and Canadian Prime Minister Harper (a huge hockey fan who has even written a book about the history of hockey) came into his classroom during the SCF to present the award. Harper noticed my uncle's display of Red Wings photos in the corner of the classroom and made a few comments about that during his speech, made it onto the evening news.

that would have been bad because then that means Chicago won.

If they have to win, I hope they do it on the road tonight, during the week. Don't let them do it at home on a Friday.

slight hijack over.

I'm OK with Chicago winning it because (1) I live here and it's fun to live in a championship town, and (2) I don't want to see Chris Pronger win another cup.

I'm not a Blackhawks fan, to be sure -- I can't bring myself to cheer during the national anthem, or to wear black and red, or do that stupid Chelsea Dagger stomp after goals, because I'm not a fan -- but since I have no dog in this fight, I'm perfectly fine if they win. I'm perfectly fine if they lose, too. Either way.

I just would have liked to been there if Chicago won under the same set of circumstances the Wings did in 1997. The once-in-a-lifetime thing happening twice.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled thread, already in progress.

I would be feeling physically sick this morning if it were the Leafs one win away from the Stanley Cup (haha, yeah right, as if that will ever happen). But like Chasfh, I'm fine with the Hawks winning. Because like I mentioned before, it means a) the Leafs will have the longest drought remaining; and b) maybe a so-called "hangover" for Chicago would help Detroit next year. Chasfh to the Hawks kinduv reminds me of my relationship with the Canucks - I'm mostly indifferent concerning the Canucks but it was neat how this city was on fire in '94 and there were lineups at 7am to see the Cup on display in a hotel lobby during the SCF.

Edited by lordstanley

I hate Philly as a sports town and have nothing against Chicago, per se (God, I hate that term!), but the Blackhawks and Wings rivalry takes precedence over Philly. I want that franchise to suffer. I especially want to see them lose in hearbreaking fashion during their brief window due to salary cap implications. The only saving grace would be seeing Stan Bowman win it. I also think it would be neat in a sports trivia sense to see Hossa lose 3 years in a row with 3 teams. Nothing against him personally.

I too thought about the Pronger aspect but seeing as he won it already then I can get over him wnning another one. If he was still looking for his first ring then I might be tempted to root for the Blackhawks.

But I don't expect Philly to win so it's moot.