Shinma

13 years ago today.

Errr... yesterday now.

What a decade plus of hockey. After seemingly nothing for so long, and coming so close against the Devils, they finally break through.

doc4af9720a3523c1026146091.jpg

page2_a_konstantinovts_400.jpg

467190276_ad1ababf6f_o.jpg

VJn0dSKl3wQ

.Click Vladdy for a special treat....

Edited by Shinma

what a freakin' night! Someone from my wife's work planned a road rally that night, months in advance. The final place we ended up at was a place called Boomers, in Allen Park. Pretty good sports bar, been around for years. We had the whole back room for our party. Celebrating that with dozens of friends made it very special. I missed McCarty's goal because I was moving my car, it was parked in a bad spot on a side street. As I'm crossing Southfield Road suddenly cars start honking and people are cheering.

Seeing Stevie with the cup almost brought tears to my eyes. I shuddered. I really doubted if that moment would ever come. Looking back it seems so obvious but it wasn't a sure thing after 1996.

Everywhere you went that night people were out in the streets with brooms, flags, banners, etc. It was like European soccer or something. I've never seen a team captivate a town like that. I don't think we ever will. The Lions winning the Super Bowl would be the only thing to ever top it.

what a freakin' night! Someone from my wife's work planned a road rally that night, months in advance. The final place we ended up at was a place called Boomers, in Allen Park. Pretty good sports bar, been around for years. We had the whole back room for our party. Celebrating that with dozens of friends made it very special. I missed McCarty's goal because I was moving my car, it was parked in a bad spot on a side street. As I'm crossing Southfield Road suddenly cars start honking and people are cheering.

Seeing Stevie with the cup almost brought tears to my eyes. I shuddered. I really doubted if that moment would ever come. Looking back it seems so obvious but it wasn't a sure thing after 1996.

Everywhere you went that night people were out in the streets with brooms, flags, banners, etc. It was like European soccer or something. I've never seen a team captivate a town like that. I don't think we ever will. The Lions winning the Super Bowl would be the only thing to ever top it.

I strained my vocal cords when McCarty scored. (Really bad considering I was a phone jockey at that time) My downstairs neighbor was a Flames fan, he came up and congratulated me after the game was over. I'll never forget that night.

I was in a barracks room in Hawaii. I was sitting with the one of the three other Wings fans in my platoon. After the game, we were hooting and hollering. Half of my platoon was from Texas and just didn't understand.

I always take a moment on V-H (Victory-Hockeytown) Day to recall that night. I remember recording Bruce Martyn's radio call of the 2nd period, back for a guest stint on this all so special occasion, and he was splendid even if he did initially miscall the defender that 'Bobby Orr" McCarty beat.

Great video. I barely remember that cup. It's on the cusp of sporting events that I remember. But that McCarty goal is burned into my brain like it happened yesterday.

I was in the Taco Bell parking lot in West Bloomfield when the game ended. I was pulling in the driveway when Yzerman lifted the cup. Even though I missed seeing it I'll never forget that day.

I always take a moment on V-H (Victory-Hockeytown) Day to recall that night. I remember recording Bruce Martyn's radio call of the 2nd period, back for a guest stint on this all so special occasion, and he was splendid even if he did initially miscall the defender that 'Bobby Orr" McCarty beat.

Didn't he say Petit? What was eerie was as the players were handing the cup off to each other they singled out Konstantinov and had some fun with it.

My favorite moment of that series was Vladdie's hit at center ice on Howerchuck and Bob Cole's call. "ooooooohhh Konstantinov! Saw his man at center ice....."

I was in the Bally's sports book in Vegas, by myself. I put 50 bucks on the game. Took my 100 dollars and lost it all in about 15 minutes. I didn't care. I was smiling from ear to ear until I went to sleep.

One of my favorite moments of '97 was the player intros before Game 3 and Budd Lynch pausing before "number 19, Steve Yyyyyzerman". The crowd roaring, while a determined serious looking Yzerman looks straight ahead and raises his arm. After suffering through the Dead Wings of the '70s and the teases of the '80s and the 3 consecutive heartbreaks each worse than the previous in 1994, 1995 and 1996, we weren't taking anything for granted. But at that moment, you knew the Wings were going to be almost impossible to stop. It's stupid that even as pre-game shows on TV have become longer, the league has stopped doing player intros before each city's first home game of the Finals. It built a sense of the grandness of the occasion and gave each player a moment of facetime.

Edited by lordstanley

My favorite moment of that series was Vladdie's hit at center ice on Howerchuck and Bob Cole's call. "ooooooohhh Konstantinov! Saw his man at center ice....."

Here it is with but Gary Thorne's call instead:

That game 3 was a fantastic experience. That's when I realized it really was going to happen.

And for anyone who has only seen the ESPN broadcast, you MUST watch these CBC clips. Bob Cole and Harry Neale were still in their prime and called the key moments perfectly.

Final minute of play. Unfortunately the clip comes in just after the `this is your day Steve`` moment with 26 seconds to go, but then ...``I`m going to let this great Detroit hockey crowd take you down to the Stanley Cup ...Yzerman on the ice where he should be, at centre ice where he should be ...

Yzerman being presented the Cup and going for "the skate"

Until the day I die, I`ll get chills anytime I hear the song December, 1963 (Oh What A Night) by the Four Seasons.

lordstanley, I'm with you all the way. That song always reminds me of that night.

Bob Cole was awesome that night. I remember with a few minutes left they zoomed in on yzerman and he said something like "What a night for Steve Yzerman. Your day has finally come Steve, June 7, 1997, don't forget it Steve."

I haven't watched that clip in probably 10 years. Wow. I forgot that he gave the Cup to Larionov and Fetisov first. That was very moving because the rap on those guys was that they didn't care about the Stanley Cup.

Only negative was them sneaking in the "We've got Stanley" after shelving "I want Stanley."

It is like yesterday, sitting on the edge of a hotel bed after playing in a hockey tournament, watching D-Mac score one of the prettiest goals in Cup history. One of my favorite hockey memories.

Only thing that ruins this feeling is finding out the Wings offered Bertuzzi a two year contract today!

Still get chills watching those clips. Remember that night like it was yesterday and jumping off the couch when McCarty put in that beauty. The scene was incredible and seeing Stevie finally hoist the Cup still brings a tear to my eye.

I was stationed in Germany and did not get to see any of the finals as they were on during the midnight hours..:cry:

back then, AFRTS only had one station and now they have a boat load!

Thanks for the vid

Didn't he say Petit? What was eerie was as the players were handing the cup off to each other they singled out Konstantinov and had some fun with it.

3qRtGKnKbXU

Me and my friends were at The Old Shillelagh to watch the game. We got there at 2 PM and were among the last people to get seats upstairs. They turned on ESPN to air the game, but me and our friends started chanting CBC, CBC, CBC. They changed the channel, and it turned out some attractive females sitting next to us were from Windsor who appreciated our chant. Ended up dating one for a bit.

I rememeber Lidstrom's goal near the end of the first causing the bar to seemingly explode only to understand what a bar exploding truly sounds like after McCarty absolutely pwned Niinimaa.

I remember pouring out into the street after the game - walked around Greektown and up and down Jefferson Ave with mobs and mobs of people for a few hours. Everyone was hugging, high fiving, handing out beer, you name it. I don't think there really was any vandalism or that sort of crap, or at least very little. I doubt I will forget that night.

I'm going to get real personal with this ... but, 13 years ago I lived in Port Charlotte, Florida with a crack addicted aunt and her Boyfriend and their hanger on. It was a living hell ... drug dealers and prostitutes paraded through the house. I could have left, but I felt i needed to be their, to make sure she didn't over dose, or raped in the middle of the night.

My solace was the stanley cup playoffs, talking to my Dad, about the game afterwords, wishing he'd tell me to come home, wanting to scream for my Mom ...

Luckily, the series went on and on ... every night they played I was safe ... I cried like a baby on the phone with my Dad. I cried for the Wings, I cried for my family, I cried like a baby.

Sorry, I kind of put a downer on this thread .... but the cup win, 13 years ago, will always remind me of where i was. And I'm thankful for it.

Did everyone click on Vladdy? Hmm?

...and Dennis dont worry about it, at all.