Jonesy

Ex Tigers

I was Watching a Giants Vs Reds game tonight and saw Andres Torres Starting in Left Field for the Giants. Which not only shocked me that he was starting but was still in the league for that matter.

So here are some other names that I was shocked to find still on Major League Rosters.

Andres Torres - Giants

Omar Infante - Braves

Brian Moehler - Astros

Cody Ross - Marlins

Luke French - Mariners

And I am not shocked he is still playing but it did always shock me that he was THIS good Francisco Cordero.

There are other names Like Maybin but the above names really just shocked me that they made it. The only one on that list I would have guessed had a chance after Detroit was Cody Ross (And in my opinion it was as a 4th outfielder at best)

BTW what happened to Craig Monroe? I remember him in Pittsburgh but he is not in the league anymore (I think)

It amazes me that Carlos Pena finally figured out how to harness and sustain his considerable hitting abilities at an age that is long after the time when most struggling players have peaked and gotten worse.

Cody Ross is a good baseball player.

Hell they are all good players thats why they made it.

Doesn't change the fact that I thought they all sucked when they played here. :happy:

Hell they are all good players thats why they made it.

Doesn't change the fact that I thought they all sucked when they played here. :happy:

I'm just surprised that you are surprised he's still around. He's been a damn solid ML'er for the last 4 seasons or so.

It amazes me that Carlos Pena finally figured out how to harness and sustain his considerable hitting abilities at an age that is long after the time when most struggling players have peaked and gotten worse.

He is currently batting .175, though has nine HRs and 34 rbis

2010 TB 56 194 9 34 .175

By coincidence, I examined the Mexican League rosters one-by-one this evening and found a lot of old friends. I didn't write them down, but Jacob Cruz, Alexis Gomez, Alex Sanchez, Jose Macias, Matt Perisho, and Joe Valentine are down there in their mid-to-late 30's, along with a few others. Some who aren't there any more, after years and years - Raul Casanova, Rudy Pemberton (he's been gone for a couple of years I think), and Derrick White.

I was shocked when I looked at Torres' stats. After having an OPS of .876 in 154 ABs last year, he's sporting an .858 OPS this year. Where did that come from?

Edited by tigerbomb13

Check his stats -- he was good for us. .792 OPS overall in his 4 seasons. In the second half of 2005 (a year that saw the Tigers jerk him up and down to Toledo and back), he was one of the best home run hitters in the league. And then we just gave up on him, just as he reached his age-28 peak season. It didn't surprise me at all to see him bust out at Tampa Bay.

The most amazing to me, is that Oscar Salazar has been starting regularly in the outfield for the San Diego Padres.

I was shocked when I looked at Torres' stats. After having an OPS of .876 in 154 ABs last year, he's sporting an .858 OPS this year. Where did that come from?

Andres Torres is having an amazing yeat for SF..I'm glad for him, he stuck with it and now has a career. Good for him.

Torres, Salazar...maybe we should have just signed Danny Klassen (anyone remember him?) to be our starting SS.

Rangers have a couple.

Colby Lewis is having a great season for their MLB club.

Gulliermo Moscoso had a rough start to the season in Texas...only 0.2 IP and he gave up 2 runs in that limited time. He is now playing for their AAA ball club and having a lot of success starting there. See here.

Torres, Salazar...maybe we should have just signed Danny Klassen (anyone remember him?) to be our starting SS.

Klassen, Kevin Whitt, and Warren Morris as the starting infield! That's a bad AAA team! Not to mention the other 6 starters.....

Andrew Miller has been a bust and I know Maybin still has a lot of time to develop, but is it almost time to name the Cabrera trade as the best trade in Tigers history? A future Hall of Fame clean-up hitter for "possibly" one impact player.

Andres Torres - Giants

Omar Infante - Braves

Brian Moehler - Astros

Cody Ross - Marlins

Luke French - Mariners

Back in 2005 Andres Torres, Brad Barnes, and Alex Sanchez was my starting OF in MVP Baseball 2005. I also had a nasty rotaion of Jeremy Bonderman, Jason Johnson, Gary Knotts, Mike Maroth, and Colby Lewis. I was stacked to say the least!

Don't forget about Chris Mears who appeared in 29 games for the Tigers in 2003. He was the Red Sox representative during the Compensation Round during last night's draft.