Roman Maronie

Can the Tigers catch the Twins?

not only no dome, but it is hard for the HR guys to hit the ball out of Tar-J field

Home runs are highly over-rated and Twinkies are EXCELLENT proof of that. They keep winning and are closer to the bottom in the AL in hitting home runs or just about at the bottom. HR's are NOT their MO and have nothing to do with their success. In the dome it was the astroturf that gave them all the ground ball hits that they will miss at Target. Mauer relies more on hitting the ball all over the field not hitting HR's.

In 2009 the Twinkies hit 172 HR's good for 9th out of 14 teams in the AL, while the Tigers hit 183 home runs good for 7th and that was with a subpar Magglio.

This is how the Twinkies ranked in the AL in terms of hitting home runs (out of 14 AL teams):

2009 - 9th .... and still beat Detroit to win the division

2008 - 14th

2007 - 13th

2006 - 13th.... and still beat Detroit to win the division. And Detroit was 3rd in the AL in HR's!!!!!!!

etc, etc.

Pitching, defense and more small ball is why the Twinkies continually pound the Tigers and always beat them.

Depending on how the Tigers do in head-to-head games with the Twinkies will be a huge determining factor in whether the Tigers finish first or second this year, and without a lefty in Tigers rotation the chances of Tigers winning the season series is slim to none. And in case you don't remember Willis did very well against the Twinkies this year... one of his wins plus he could have won the other game in which he pitched.... so for as wild as Willis was that has to say something. And that is why the Tigers should get Cliff Lee at the trading deadline and will give them the inside track on resigning Lee.

Edited by Ajax

Can the Tigers Catch the Twins?

Yeah, if Philadephia can hold on for a couple of inning the question will be moot!

Home runs are highly over-rated and Twinkies are EXCELLENT proof of that. They keep winning and are closer to the bottom in the AL in hitting home runs or just about at the bottom. HR's are NOT their MO and have nothing to do with their success. In the dome it was the astroturf that gave them all the ground ball hits that they will miss at Target. Mauer relies more on hitting the ball all over the field not hitting HR's.

In 2009 the Twinkies hit 172 HR's good for 9th out of 14 teams in the AL, while the Tigers hit 183 home runs good for 7th and that was with a subpar Magglio.

This is how the Twinkies ranked in the AL in terms of hitting home runs (out of 14 AL teams):

2009 - 9th .... and still beat Detroit to win the division

2008 - 14th

2007 - 13th

2006 - 13th.... and still beat Detroit to win the division. And Detroit was 3rd in the AL in HR's!!!!!!!

etc, etc.

Pitching, defense and more small ball is why the Twinkies continually pound the Tigers and always beat them.

Depending on how the Tigers do in head-to-head games with the Twinkies will be a huge determining factor in whether the Tigers finish first or second this year, and without a lefty in Tigers rotation the chances of Tigers winning the season series is slim to none.

This is where numbers don't always do justice...

when you say they were 9th or 14th it isn't clear how close hey were to the pack

if the #1 team had 200 HRs

and the twins #150, then HRs are over related

but if in 2010

#1 has 200 HRs

and the twins have 60, that is a lot of runs to make up regardless if they are #9 or #14

I don't know the Twins stand in that sense, I know the M&M boys are making the fans very very nervous because they aren't producing as they have in the past...and when your offense is built around those two... well it would be like the Tigers M&M boys (Maggs and Miguel) were slumping

EDIT : Let me add, I was trying to stress that the HR. guys are not hitting HRs even if the twins can win without HRs, the certainly can't afford to cut back on run production. Especially if the HRs not being hit are not fly outs

Edited by Titus Tiger

This is where numbers don't always do justice...

when you say they were 9th or 14th it isn't clear how close hey were to the pack

if the #1 team had 200 HRs

and the twins #150, then HRs are over related

but if in 2010

#1 has 200 HRs

and the twins have 60, that is a lot of runs to make up regardless if they are #9 or #14

I don't know the Twins stand in that sense, I know the M&M boys are making the fans very very nervous because they aren't producing as they have in the past...and when your offense is built around those two... well it would be like the Tigers M&M boys (Maggs and Miguel) were slumping

EDIT : Let me add, I was trying to stress that the HR. guys are not hitting HRs even if the twins can win without HRs, the certainly can't afford to cut back on run production. Especially if the HRs not being hit are not fly outs

You must be kidding!

In 2006 Detroit hit 203 homers and were 3rd in the AL... and Minnesota hit 143 homers and were 13th in the AL. AND that was the baggie dome!!!

SIXTY homers less and they still beat the Tigers for the division.

The numbers are incredible PROOF that homers are HIGHLY OVER-RATED! The problem with the Twinkies is that the Yankees absolutely have their number!!!

Pitching and defense WINS!!! And that is the philosophy of the Twinkie organization.... and a good one!

Edited by Ajax

not only no dome, but it is hard for the HR guys to hit the ball out of Tar-J field

Which is really hard to figure. Based on its size and orientation, it's playing way bigger than it is. My guess is that it has just been a very cool spring in Minny. Or it could be the huge flat scoreboard wall creates a back flow toward the field from the west wind, but I still want to see what happens when they start playing on some warm nights, of which there have been few so far. I guess time (and weather) will tell.

I suspect it is a combination of several things

the weather is probably a big factor

the twins power is a little off right now

(a combo of those two things --- as it they don't really have a home field advantage, since it is the first season they and everyone else has played there)

I wonder if there are things about the field that might affect the hitting -- like you mentioned the score board. I remember Curtis Granderson saying it is hard to pick up the ball (in the field) because of the rake of the seats...

Not if we slump at the end of the year like we have had a record of doing the last few seasons, and the worse part of it is that the Twins always go on a huge winning streak at the end of the year and make a run against us for first in the Central or in this case enlarge there lead in the Central, hopefully Boesch keeps it up, Mags goes nuts, and maybe even get some huge action from Damon or Jackson, and get ahead of them now and maybe finish close at the end but we still advance into the playoffs, and plus we still have to worry about those sox who have been destroying everything in there path lately,

A few days we're going to have to change the thread titlet o "Can the Tigers catch the White Sox and Twins?"

The Twins are doing their best to keep the Tigers and White Sox in the race, that's for sure. They're probably relieved to see the Tigers on the schedule right about now. Sure would be nice if the Tigers give them a shock.

Can the Tigers catch the Twins?

If the "Bake-Slow-Burn" show continues for the remainder of the season, the answer is yes.

Per Jim Souhan, Star Tribune,

"For the past couple of years, the Twins have spoken fondly about how Baker, Blackburn and Slowey spend time together talking pitching. Maybe that's not such a good idea. Maybe they should be sentenced to solitary confinement. Or quarantined. They might be contagious.

Baker's ERA is 4.97. Slowey's is 4.79. Blackburn's is 6.10. In what has become the Year of the Pitcher, the Twins' three core righthanders are pitching like it's the Year of the Batting Practice Fastball Down the Middle.

The AL Central has become a three-team race, and the Twins have only two starting pitchers they can trust."

Twins' one worry on the way back home: pitching | StarTribune.com

yes. the answer is yes. close this thread. even if we lose the lead, and the division, the question will still be yes, because we did catch them.