Bonderman38

Leyland: Avila to play more

Everyone is getting their wish. MTS rejoice!

"I'm going to play (Alex) Avila more," Leyland said after Avila improved his batting average to .210 with a pair of singles.

"I'm just going to try Alex a little more and see if we can get some thunder down at the bottom (of the lineup). We need to spread it out."

LINK

Everyone is getting their wish. MTS rejoice!

LINK

Avila is hitting 321 in his last 10 games. JL has a flair for making the doing the obvious seem like the result of heavy deliberation.

So this isn't a shocking bit of news, I still hadn't heard the JL quote, so I'm okay with the thread. Just because it was brought up in another thread or two (intermingled with different topics and maybe a whole bunch of petty crap), doesn't mean everyone saw it.

I hadn't seen it in the other threads, so I'm glad it was put on here in a thread of its own. I just hope one of them starts hitting more than my weight. If they do, I'll keep eating chocolate & hold them to it. :wink:

Avila is hitting 321 in his last 10 games. JL has a flair for making the doing the obvious seem like the result of heavy deliberation.
You're right. I'm afraid JL will go back to Laird after one bad game by Avila or one good game by Laird. He's to loyal to his vets.

Avila has potential to be a good big league hitter. Laird does not. Defensively they are comparable, Laird perhaps a bit quicker to 2nd.

You're right. I'm afraid JL will go back to Laird after one bad game by Avila or one good game by Laird. He's to loyal to his vets.

Doubt it. I think Leyland is fed up with awful production from SS and C. Everett isn't playing much right now, and apparently not Laird either. But he's got to be careful not to burn either of them out, either.

Doubt it. I think Leyland is fed up with awful production from SS and C. Everett isn't playing much right now, and apparently not Laird either. But he's got to be careful not to burn either of them out, either.

I agree. I think his initial attitude of 'balancing out the bench' is long gone. Now he knows he's playing his best players 99% of the time. While still giving necessary days off for guys like Magglio.

Figured it had to happen sooner than later. Not only is Avila a better offensive option but he is also our future at Catcher. Hope this move helps pick up the offense a bit.

Hopefully Avila will hit and keep on hitting. I don't know what the Tigers will do if he doesn't.

Lose more?