Vonlenska

Was there a better pitched game in Tigers history than Galarraga's?

Since we all know it was a legitimate Perfect Game, and there have not been any in Tigers history officially, would you say that was the best in Tigers history? Or was it merely a day the ball found the defenders gloves?

Don't let the official judgment change your thought process. Personally, I have no idea. Armando wasn't dominant, or overpowering, but he was unbelievably efficient and did what he was supposed to do.

So, thoughts? I guess this can be a good thread to compile all time great Tiger pitching performances, too.

I think the Randy Johnson Perfect Game was even more dominant. He made the Braves look like the Whitecaps that night.

As for Tigers history...maybe the Morris No-no. But still he ran introuble that game as well. If my memory servfes me, I believe he even walked the bases loaded in an inning...could be wrong though. So I am not sure if there has been one so dominant and perfect.

It was a masterful performance, but the BABIP gods had a contribution to this one. I'm not sure that this game featured the fewest hard hit balls of any Tiger pitching performance I've seen, but then again, that's only one criterion.

It was a masterful performance, but the BABIP gods had a contribution to this one. I'm not sure that this game featured the fewest hard hit balls of any Tiger pitching performance I've seen, but then again, that's only one criterion.

Yeah. Armando's game is strikingly similar to Braden's, although with less line drives.

Milt Wilcox's near perfect game

and Max Scherzer's 14ks in 17outs performance came to mind.

Here are some candidates:

Jim Bunning's no-hitter in 1958. He walked only 2 and struck out 12. This is probably the single most dominant pitching performance in Tigers history:

July 20, 1958 Detroit Tigers at Boston Red Sox Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

Milt Wilcox's near perfect game in 1983 was probably more dominant, since he struck out 8:

April 15, 1983 Detroit Tigers at Chicago White Sox Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Both of Virgil Trucks' no-hitters in 1952 -- he walked only 1 in each, and struck out 7 in one and 8 in the other:

May 15, 1952 Washington Senators at Detroit Tigers Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

August 25, 1952 Detroit Tigers at New York Yankees Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

From the Remember This Guy? division, Scott Sanders' 1997 masterpiece: 1 hit, 1 walk, 8 strikeouts:

September 9, 1997 Texas Rangers at Detroit Tigers Box Score and Play by Play - Baseball-Reference.com

Finally, only one Tiger pitcher ever faced the minimum of 27 hitters over 9 innings: Jack Morris, in 1990 against the Royals. 1 hit, no walks, 6 strikeouts:

July 6, 1990 Kansas City Royals at Detroit Tigers Play by Play and Box Score - Baseball-Reference.com

Take your pick.

On July 21, 1945, Les Mueller pitched 19 and 2/3 innings and only gave up one (unearned) run.

Wartime ball, of course, but still...

Had Verlander completed the 1 hitter he started a few weeks ago against the Angels, I would have said that one. I'll go with Bunning's game, I guess, and probably a whole slew of others, too. Galarraga pitched a gem, but to me, a 1 hitter with no walks or a no hitter with maybe two walks with ten or twelve strikeouts is more impressive.

If you define dominance by strikeouts and softly hit balls, no. However, if you define dominant by getting outs, it is not only the most dominant pitching performance in Tiger history, it is the most dominant pitching performance in baseball history. Galarraga pitched the only 28-out perfect game ever.

If you define dominance by strikeouts and softly hit balls, no. However, if you define dominant by getting outs, it is not only the most dominant pitching performance in Tiger history, it is the most dominant pitching performance in baseball history. Galarraga pitched the only 28-out perfect game ever.

There is just a cognitive disconnect here. I watched the game. I thought it was amazing at the time. But I didn't think he was dominating the hitters at all, not really. He pitched a very Greg Maddux-like game and I never thought of Greg Maddux as dominating individual hitters. So I guess I fit into the former description, those who think that dominance means riding roughshod over the hitters, and not giving them much of a chance.

I regret not taping the replay. I was too upset and didn't want to relive it. Now I want to watch it again.

I can't really comment because I missed the first seven innings, but without strikeouts it is hard to classify it as dominant. But a lack of hard hit balls is impressive, and getting 28 outs in 88 pitches has to qualify as one of the best three ever. ****, it was a perfect game with an extra out. Best ever? Maybe.

Frank Tanana's shut out of the Blue Jays to clinch the AL east in 1987 was a gem

According to ESPN, Galarraga would have had the second most efficient perfect game of all time, having gone through 27 hitters on only 83 pitches. Addie Joss in 1908 did it on 74 pitches and he and Galarraga would have been tied for least strikeouts in a perfecto with 3.

There is just a cognitive disconnect here. I watched the game. I thought it was amazing at the time. But I didn't think he was dominating the hitters at all, not really. He pitched a very Greg Maddux-like game and I never thought of Greg Maddux as dominating individual hitters. So I guess I fit into the former description, those who think that dominance means riding roughshod over the hitters, and not giving them much of a chance.

Good point about Greg Maddux, the ultimate pitch-to-contact guy who relied on late and unpredictable movement to get guys to get themselves out. It's no coincidence that only four of Maddux's 109 complete games were two hits or less. Compared this with Clemeens' 14 games of two or less hits out of 118 complete games.

I just looked through Unit's CGs, and 12 of his 100 were two hits or fewer. When I think of dominance, he's the first guy I think of. He had it all: longevity, a huge peak, sustained excellence, durability, endurance, and of course, the strikeouts. He's the best combination I can think of who combines the high peak of Pedro with the long-term excellence of someone like Clemens.

I regret not taping the replay. I was too upset and didn't want to relive it. Now I want to watch it again.

I feel that way about Game 163 last year. I actually did record that game, but I was so mad after it was over I deleted it, and I've yet to see it replayed on television again. I wish I had it now.

I don't think anyone ever peaked like Pedro. His run from 1999-2003 was nothing short of otherworldly.

I don't think anyone ever peaked like Pedro. His run from 1999-2003 was nothing short of otherworldly.

Agreed. But Johnson had a good peak combined with the longevity Pedro wished for.

Any pitching performance with 4 walks doesn't hold a candle to 28 straight outs. I don't care how the outs happened.

I agree 100%, let me know when someone accomplishes that feat because it hasnt happened yet.

I agree 100%, let me know when someone accomplishes that feat because it hasnt happened yet.

Actually it probably has happened a couple times.

None of these were perfect games, but they still had 28 straight outs.

Id call Gallaragas game masterful rather than dominant. Technique and efficiency over brute force. Both are jaw dropping in thier own way.

Id call Gallaragas game masterful rather than dominant. Technique and efficiency over brute force. Both are jaw dropping in thier own way.

I'd tend to agree.